Keeping same or different species of anemones in the same tank

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if it is possible to keep more than one different or same species of anemone's in the same tank? Are there any that you really can not keep with others?
Will they hurt each other?

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a RBTA and neon GBTA right next to each other with no problems... Though we've had a RBTA march and plant its foot into the same hole another RBTA was using and made it split, so it might not always be the best of conditions.

We have some maxi minis and mini nems that bump up and sometimes overlap each other with no problems.

So IME, guess it depends on the anemone.

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keeping bubbles with bubbles is ok, but like a bubble and a gig or a haddoni? it will spell trouble and the might start a chemical warfare on each other. its not a good idea to house 2 different types in a tank, it would rick the whole tank and if the 2 different nems did go chemical, it would wipe your tank out.

OP
OP
IPisces

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, Thanks. I was hoping I could get a rose and a green bt in the same tank. Still in the planning stages. It will be a while. Tanks not up yet.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,a Red Bubble and a Green Bubble will live together just fine!

Good luck!

mike_dani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my .02 on this is .......

You can keep two different species but only if your tank is big enough, I have a 300 gallon display and I will call this big enough. In this tank I have a Sebae nem and a green bubble, the tank has 18 sq feet of bottom and I have the nems on opposed corners of the tank. Both nems are being hosted by a pair of clowns, the bubble has gold stripe maroons and the sebae has a black perc. and a true perc. Now I dont have any issues with the nems. but the clowns every so often will decide to be adventurous and the two females (true perc. and maroon) will meet up with one and another..... This always proves fun to watch as the maroon is smaller in size but larger in attitude.

This works in my system but that doesn't mean that it will work in yours if all things were equal. You must be prepared with a alternative plan and watch things closely in case one must be removed. I know you are going to have the same species of nem., but in case someone else wants different here you go. My best advise is get a huge tank and be prepared for the water, salt, supplement and electric bill.

OP
OP
IPisces

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"My best advise is get a huge tank and be prepared for the water, salt, supplement and electric bill. "

Thats why I have multiple medium size tanks. A 55 corner, 75 gal reef and setting up a 90 gal w/less reef safe fish and some softies maybe. I can not make and store enough water to do an emergency water change on anything larger. I know my limits. I can store 23 gals fresh water and make just as much in 8 hours and store 35 gals salt water at one time. So I can essentially have 60 gals of salt water in a matter of minutes if needed. I cant support a single tank any larger than 90 gals. So being thats what I have to work with I will stick with one species of anemone per tank.
Thanks for all the info.

Ericm1205

Clownfish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good idea IPisces, if you get a few different color combo's on the bta's would look real cool seeing them contrast together.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 180 I have both green & rose bubbles tips, a maxi-mini carpet and a sebae anemone and I've never had a problem

OP
OP
IPisces

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like if there is enough space that they dont know that each other are there, there shouldn't be a problem. I dont think the 90 is probably big enough. I do want to get another one of these for the 75 gal tank. I had one, but it was in a 34 gal tank and I had an issue with hair algae in the tank and it started moving and got caught in a power head, and you know the rest. I loved this one too. Any one know what this one is called and where I might find one?
DSC04614.jpg

xerogravity74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone kept a BTA with a Long Tentacle in close proximity?
I've got 2 lta's and a rbta in my red sea 450...they are settled about 2 feet apart...hopefully everyone stays where they are...the lta's are right on top of each other...the rbta stays in a tiny little crack...

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple of same species easy, especially BTAS as they often clone.
Different species I'd try to not have touch, and I'd try for similar needs for light and flow.
I've had LTA and BTA a number of times, no problem, LTA will stay down in sand.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keeping bubbles with bubbles is ok, but like a bubble and a gig or a haddoni? it will spell trouble and the might start a chemical warfare on each other. its not a good idea to house 2 different types in a tank, it would rick the whole tank and if the 2 different nems did go chemical, it would wipe your tank out.

Are you saying this from your own experience? I’ve had BTAs with gigs and haddoni without issue, and I never ran carbon. This was in a 60 gallon tank.

Furthermore, how does one know it’s allelopathy and not something else? And how would this wipe out the entire tank?

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is in a 20 gallon refugium that is plumbed into my 150 gallon system, 2 gigs and 2 haddoni. I also have had mags and gigs touch without problems as well as one of my mags and rbta.

ac1900239e7b24c85885e5d7524379cc.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back