Keeping same or different species of anemones in the same tank

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 gallon tank with 21 rock flower anenomes in the bottom center and then 3 btas (2 rose and a rainbow) on a rock island in the corner of my tank. I just make sure there is a good distance between them.

sullys223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
keeping bubbles with bubbles is ok, but like a bubble and a gig or a haddoni? it will spell trouble and the might start a chemical warfare on each other. its not a good idea to house 2 different types in a tank, it would rick the whole tank and if the 2 different nems did go chemical, it would wipe your tank out.
How do you know if they are going chemical? I had a bta in my tank and then added another bta and now my zoas are acting a little funny. Not opening up all the way. Nothing has changed since except the second bta. Should we move them further away from it? I am running carbon, which I researched was good when you have two anemones in a tank together. Thanks in advance!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, there is no such thing and chemical warfare between corals. The Ocean is too vast for them just to release chemical into the water to suppress other animals.
Direct attach is another mater. Shading, stinging, overgrowth yes, but release toxin to kill or maim other animals is like a suicide vest to me. Only extremely rarely nature resort to suicide.

I think there are evidence on plants having deterrent chemical in it's tissue to deter grazing by other animals, and these leak out into the water. Not a problem in the wild, but can be problematic in aquarium. The same with some soft corals. There are evidence of anemones get injure and release nematocysts into the water (from the injury) and kill fish in aquariums. These can cause a problem in aquariums, but they are not what I consider "chemical warfare" as most of use reefers use it.

I don't have any scientific data to back this up, but then you cannot prove negative. A lot of time, when multiple anemones reside in the same a aquarium and some does not do well, many reefers just attribute this to "chemical warfare". For me, I attribute this to deficiency in the reefers part. I know this is at odd with the general opinion out there, but it is my opinion, and my assumption in taken care of my anemones.

Happy reefing

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back