Keeping Seahorses in Aquaria #1 - Introduction and Setting Up Your Seahorse Tank

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has and breeds seahorses, i have to commend you on the quality of this initial article. seahorse setups should indeed be species specific. you covered most of the bases. my only addition on the equipment end would be heavy filtration and an efficient protein skimmer. as you mentioned, seahorses are messy, picky eaters, a lot of stuff hits the bottom uneaten(i maintain a lot of cleanup crew critters also). you may be covering all of that later. i look forward to your f0llowup articles.
Thanks Gary! I appreciate the kind comments. My initial article was quite long which is why it was broke up into a 6 part series. Due to editing I believe those topics will be covered in the upcoming series. I wished I could have picked your brain when I was writing this. I still consider myself a novice.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up @vlangel! I can't wait to read the other parts:) I have always wanted to do a pony tank, but fear I am just not home enough to properly care for them. I am at work enough though lol, perhaps an office pony tank is in order! I will wait to read the rest of your articles before I make such a big decision;)

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up @vlangel! I can't wait to read the other parts:) I have always wanted to do a pony tank, but fear I am just not home enough to properly care for them. I am at work enough though lol, perhaps an office pony tank is in order! I will wait to read the rest of your articles before I make such a big decision;)
Thanks ReefQueen. I think there is more info in the rest of the articles that will be helpful to your decision.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write-up, as someone who hopes to keep some ponies in the future I really enjoyed reading it. This one's going into the bookmarks.

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vlangel I just want to know when you are going to come present all this information to the club at a meeting? :D
I would be glad to present this info at a club meeting. Now that I wrote on it I have it in somewhat of an organized fashion. You and I can discuss it. :)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Seahorsekelly69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Seahorsekelly, I am sorry to say that I did not address NSW and specie only. Since I am 'relatively speaking' somewhat new to seahorses myself, there are many aspects that I am not aware of. I am just trying to help folks be successful with ponies if they want to keep them.
Well, keep up the good work. These articles are well written, informative and impressive. Great job!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bumping this because it's great info!

OP
OP
vlangel

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great article always did want to start a seahorse setup and this has all info necessary
I am glad that you found it informative! When you pull the trigger we are here for you if you have more questions.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back