Keeping Spare Cycled Live Rock: How does this sound to you?

What do you think about keeping "extra cycled live rock" for new hobbyists?

• Good Idea

Votes: 294 68.1%
  • Bad Idea

Votes: 27 6.3%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 103 23.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 1.9%

• Total voters

thrasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep an extra Biobrick and rocks in my sump - when i was upgrading my tank i stacked a few in my sump and added extra rock to my display to pre cure- since ive kept a bio brick in my sump that is available to trade with friends or new reefers

Scott's reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep around 50-75 lbs of live rock in my sumps as a de-nitrate filter and when the time comes to upgrade to my dream tank

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i keep a few pieces of live rock (true live rock from the ocean) in my fuge on my main system, and I also keep around 5-6 more in 30 gallon backup system. I keep about 200 lbs of old (but cleaned) dry rock for future tank setups as well.

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that subject in the first place If you have anything bad In your sump Then it will be transferred To anyone who uses the rock. So I'm not really sure how good that idea is.
But I do have a question on the best way to go about Cycling new dry rock Especially a brand-new aquascape. I would like to design a new Aquascape made out of Marco rocks To replace The one I have Now. I am dealing with a Vermetid snail problem And I am really not too fond of the aquascape I have now. I would like to hear suggestions on the best way to go about this. My thinking was that I could build a new Aquascape and cycle it in a seperate aquarium But what would be the best way to go As far as filteration and water movement And anything else that I am forgetting right now?

cmiller75409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an used 135g tank with dry rock ( all greater than 12 years old in a garage )
I rinsed and bleached and rinsed the rock several times. I used 2 18g tubs with salt water and 'seed' rocks from my 110g. I knew it would be a while before I would use the rock. I put small heaters and wave pumps and purigen in the tubs. I had to build the base because the old base was destroyed by termites. Meanwhile, a friend gave me another 25 pounds of wet live rock. Rock was in garage 18 months, checked chemicals and replenished water often. I setup the tank Aug. 2019. Waited 2 months to add livestock. All is well. Yes, I would keep extra rock and share.

Thunderrap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don't have space right now in my little cube tank, once I get a bigger tank going I think it would be a great idea to keep a little rock cycling and at the ready is a great idea. You never know when you will either need to use it for yourself whether it be an extra tank setup or an emergency and also if you find yourself helping someone getting into the hobby having that rock will help them out a ton with the startup.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What do you think about the idea to keep extra rock for new hobbyists?
I am moving to an area with what looks like minimal LFS coverage so having some extra rock in a sump might be a good idea. I don't think I would hand it out willy nilly but if someone was having real issues and some LR was a legit solution sure, why not. Little bit like helping a new hobbyist out with some frags I guess.

2. Would you be interested in keeping extra rock for this purpose?

Yes

3. Do you keep any spare cycled rock now for any reason?

No tank so no extra rock ;)

sullyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think newbs should cycle their own rock or they won't start to learn Patience the key

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a ton of Marco rock. A real ton. I cycled it all when I was done with my tank, I offered the extra to all the local reefers in need.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a really good idea. I have about 50 to 100 pounds of live rock sitting in my sump. I would be happy to trade a local reefer for some dead base rock. I would have no problem with that at all. It would just be a matter of somehow connecting a new reefer with me to facilitate the trade. I would even be happy to give some frags along with the rock. It might be a great way for a new person to meet a local resource too.
D0C0D2E0-98CA-4FA1-9397-CAF31B61D314.jpeg

html

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the best idea is bring pipe with saltwater from ocean and make constant flow in your aquarium with real ocean water

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep extra rock in my sump for myself, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to give to another reefer unless they are a close friend. I know that I would get blamed for their 1st aptasia or bubble algae or anything else that goes wrong.

MiniCoco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if I would take up such an offer from an experienced reefer myself. I think such an offer is really nice, but accepting live rock from another tank could be introducing hitch hikers and all kinds of pests. With that said, having some live rock in your sump to use in a quarantine tank when an emergency reveals itself happens to be part of my planned build.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a 65 gallon tall filled with cycling rock all the time. Some has been in my tanks and other has never been used. I have started three tanks from this collection of rock and they have been pest free. I would be hesitant to use rock out of someone's tank unless really certain it was clean. Would hate to start out dealing with a problem.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a terrible idea. There are some cons to it to consider.

If you keep enough rocks tied to your main system to make a significant biological impact on a brand new tank immediately, then you’ll experience some negative effects of removing it all. You’ll be cutting the bulk of your own biodiversity down in an instant. It would have no different effect than just removing a bunch of rock from your display right away and just functioning with way less. There would be a response by your own inhabitants.

Now, keeping a bunch of fist-sized pieces in ones sump or display as “seed rocks” for people is a great idea and would be helpful in adding biodiversity to an otherwise brand new tank. Won’t let them skip their cycle entirely, but would help introduce some stuff that may not otherwise show up for months or if at all

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back