Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by 4FordFamily, Oct 19, 2016.

Keeping The Mysterious Moorish Idol

Moorish Idols. Impossible to keep. Better left in the wild, right? Anyone that has been in this hobby for nearly any length of time has read...
  1. soffutt

soffutt Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Can I ask where you get your idols? I have heard that Michael at NY aquatics only sells idols he has eating.

2. monkiboy

monkiboy Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

reef wise has an incredible reputation with the species
    check out several threads on feedback section here before working with mike @ nyaquatics

blueface likes this.
  3. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

NYAquatics is a great source. I’ve bought probably 50 fish from him now and I’ve been quite happy.

I’ve also purchased from live Aquaria and occasionally divers den. NY sells a healthy fish and he has a way with fragile species like regal angels and idols.

4. soffutt

Awesome! Thanks! Working on a build now and will be looking Michael’s way!

4FordFamily likes this.
  5. AJsReef

AJsReef Active Member

Thanks for this post. Moorish Idols are just such beautiful fish. I've done a lot of reading so far and just ordered a specimen off Divers Den. Hoping for the best!

Maritimer and 4FordFamily like this.
  6. soffutt

If you ordered the one tonight on DD, it is a gorgeous fish! Best of luck and keep us posted!

4FordFamily and AJsReef like this.
  7. n21benson

n21benson Member

Great article!! Very well written!!

4FordFamily likes this.
  8. AJsReef

AJsReef Active Member

Sure did, I'm a Divers Den addict. I saw a Moorish a few weeks back and missed it. Got the possible new items update earlier this afternoon, saw the Idol, and then set up an alarm. I managed to snag it before the email went out :) The wife was a little confused with the sudden excitement while watching TV.

6Bolt, Maritimer and 4FordFamily like this.
  9. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Thanks! :)

Congrats on your find!! :)

AJsReef likes this.
  10. olecaptainj

olecaptainj Active Member

Going on 7 months with mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. n21benson

n21benson Member

Beautiful fish!

12. olecaptainj

Yes, if you notice the purple frag in the 1st pic, on the left side. That is a wwc yellow tip, missing it’s yellow tips....

I’ve noticed it only has done it in the evening on 2 consecutive dais that I did not really feed it much and it seems like it did it to get my attention to feed. So, I make sure from now on around 4-5pm it gets its evening feeding. Has not done it again yet.

Maritimer and 4FordFamily like this.
  13. AJsReef

AJsReef Active Member

Awesome, what are you feeding?

14. Bill Bolton

Bill Bolton Member

I have kept 2 M.I. Both came with my tank, as did everything else in it. The fish had been in the system for about 2.5 years when I bought it from it's builder. This was in 2002. Because of the reputation of these fish, and the fact that they had survived this far, I used 500 gallons of the tanks water when we set it up at my house, we did our best to replicate the rock scape, and flow patterns in the new location as well. This tank was a bit over 750 gallons, 8 feet long, 3 feet thick and 5 feet deep. It divided my dining room and family room. I did most of the things the OP here mentioned, I left nori in the tank at all times. I fed an angel formula that the idols seemed to love. Above all, I made sure everything remained stable. They don't seem to like sterile water. I have always had a low nitrate level instead of zero.
    I kept these beauties thriving for another 5.5 years, and when my job sent me to another state, I sold the whole system to a very experienced reefer, helped them move the tank and set it up, and within 2 months, both idols, my beloved Achilles Tang and a few other fish died, all within a week of each other.
    The guy restocked the tank, but never did have much luck with it. I bought it back 3 years ago, put it in storage until I build my house, then maybe we will try this again!
    Thanks for the great writeup on this wonderful fish!! I hope to have another someday!

15. 4FordFamily

That’s a cool and sad story, I would love a tank that large some day! Thanks for sharing!

One potential issue with stocking these days is your almost guaranteed to introduce velvet, in the past that was far from the case. It’s tougher now than it was for certain.

16. Charles Gibson

Charles Gibson Member

Great post. But if you like the look of an idol most would be better off with a butterfly imatation that is easy care

17. ycnibrc

ycnibrc Active Member Build Thread Contributor

The key to keep my idol for a long time 3 1/2 year until i switch my tank to sps and sold it to my friend is when i first got the fish i kept it in my frag tank by it self for 2 months and make sure it feed well and gain weight. Also my display is 8 ft long so it has plenty if space and rock to gaze. Because it has time to feed when i put it in the main display it can survive with other fish fighting for food.

AJsReef and 4FordFamily like this.
  18. rockstarta78

rockstarta78 Well-Known Member

One day........One day I'll have to try these fish. As much as I love these fish, I don't want to try one, until I know I have the time and dedication it needs. This is an excellent guide.

AJsReef and 4FordFamily like this.
  19. olecaptainj

I feed 3 different pellets. Omega one super color, new life algaemax, and an lfs made shrimp pellet. In addition to hikari pe mysis and brine. Nori and any hair algae that pops up, which is non existent at time time.

I actually WISH I had some gha just for the idol. I have po4 levels over .6 as I can’t test it in the Hanna ulr anymore. Yet I can’t grow the stuff....

AJsReef likes this.
  20. AJsReef

AJsReef Active Member

Couldn't agree more about keeping them separate at first. Hindsight I would've done the same. Mine will take pellets but nothing else and is very timid to feed. I think some time in an established system alone would do wonders for this.

I wish mine would eat some of the frozen foods. These pellets are nutrient factories IMO, but hey at least it eats. Nori is a must too, I replenish as often as possible. Do you use any food soaks?

Draft saved Draft deleted