Keeping The Mysterious Moorish Idol

U

User1

View Badges
I like the Neptune CD crossover pellets mixed with Nyos True algae pellets. The Nyos sink a little faster so there's time for most of the pellets to get eaten. What hits the sand bed gets eaten by my Diamond Goby and Starfish. I buy live blackworms locally. I change water with rodi every three or four days and they stay good for a month or two.
BFE04D02-1F80-4B18-80E7-D56813968E43.jpeg
6ECB986B-CB55-4700-9808-EE5254EC785C.jpeg

Pretty. Looks like a tall tank.

reefer333_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefHog , just want to give you update that i tried moon light and prevented spill light (grow light, pink color) from my fuge in the stand and a few days later (for the first couple of days, it was still swimming around but not darting as much anymore), I don't see the idol darting or even swimming anymore. I think in my case, probably refugium light or tank darkness may have been causing that behavior, just my guess and thought i will let you know.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my friends on here, Nathan / fishkeepinginasia really wants to have them in his planned future upgrade that’s probably going to be at least 180 gallons. How reef safe are they and how many can be kept in a 180? Would a Powder Blue Tang be too aggressive for Moorish idols?

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zionas Mine has not picked on any coral, invert, or fish. Mine is very reef friendly but not all are reef safe. Some say they do nip corals. I feed my tank very heavy and a auto feeder feeds PE pellets 4 times a day. I feed 2 cubes frozen daily , seaweed a few times a week, flake 2 times a week, and X-small, small, and medium TDO Chroma Boost pellets every other day. That might be why mine is healthy and reef safe so far.
In a 180 I think you could have 5-10 idols if that were the only big fish. If your friend wants tangs and other big/semi aggressive stuff he should only have 1 idol and make it the first fish in the tank.

atomic081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my friends on here, Nathan / fishkeepinginasia really wants to have them in his planned future upgrade that’s probably going to be at least 180 gallons. How reef safe are they and how many can be kept in a 180? Would a Powder Blue Tang be too aggressive for Moorish idols?

I've had mine for almost a year. It will eat any polyp that I put in the tank, but it stays away from Euphillia and SPS. I would not keep more than one in any tank and if added large before a small powder blue, he should be fine.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefHog , just want to give you update that i tried moon light and prevented spill light (grow light, pink color) from my fuge in the stand and a few days later (for the first couple of days, it was still swimming around but not darting as much anymore), I don't see the idol darting or even swimming anymore. I think in my case, probably refugium light or tank darkness may have been causing that behavior, just my guess and thought i will let you know.
Great news. There is no spill from my fuge but that light is full spectrum anyway. He really only darts around when I walk by the tank which is not often at night. Can still see him on camera at night though. He just doesn't wedge into a rock or corner at night like the other fish. But neither does my CBB. It'll be a year in one month so guess it's not affecting him negatively.

Rusticman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moorish Idols, beautiful fish. Thank you for the information on this write up. Just got a pair and I’m super excited as they are one of my favorite fish. Had to give up my tang bullies, powder brown and sailfin, to house them. Not to mention relocating some of my corals to another tank because I saw them nipping. I forgive them as long as they don’t take the rest of my corals in the tank to be a buffet.

696118F9-A2F0-4F63-875E-492BB7AADB88.jpeg 4AD7490E-8500-4ACF-BDCE-E6598A115E8D.jpeg AA9EE356-FF5E-4ECB-98AD-4997E198FA46.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moorish Idols, beautiful fish. Thank you for the information on this write up. Just got a pair and I’m super excited as they are one of my favorite fish. Had to give up my tang bullies, powder brown and sailfin, to house them. Not to mention relocating some of my corals to another tank because I saw them nipping. I forgive them as long as they don’t take the rest of my corals in the tank to be a buffet.

696118F9-A2F0-4F63-875E-492BB7AADB88.jpeg 4AD7490E-8500-4ACF-BDCE-E6598A115E8D.jpeg AA9EE356-FF5E-4ECB-98AD-4997E198FA46.jpeg
Nice fish! Good luck with them! :)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily

I purchased a moorish idol from live Aquaria divers den. I quarantined it and everything in my tank. No diseases nor parasites. Today I added the moorish to my tank.

My moorish devours LRS fish frenzy. I got the highest calorie frozen food and the moorish has a phenomenal appetite. However, despite eating so well I see it’s lateral line.

I don’t know what else to do. I feel a crazy amount every day and the moorish always eats. He only eats meaty foods. Never ate pellets and I hung red nori with no bites. I also have green and purple nori which I will keep trying.

I don’t have aggressive tankmates, it’s a disease free environment. I’m only keeping 1 moorish. Here’s a video:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He looks fine so far to me. :cool:

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with the Moorish Idol is that they don't do great in QT or FOWLR tanks, unless that tank is 75 gallons or more. I had great success with introducing into a 90 gallon FOWLR tank and treating with chelated copper. The trick to getting them to eat was being prepared with live brine that I fed Selcon and Garlic. New Sperctrum Pellets and Live Clams also worked. I have a regal angelfish, cleaner wrasse, copperband, margined coralfish, and a moorish idol who all LOVE live clams... Everyone honestly does. If you cant get yours to eat try that.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I think the real “secret” is getting a juvenile moorish idol. Adult moorish idols, just like an adult regal angel, do not handle shipping stress well.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily a little little off topic and want to apologize in advance. .

you don’t see many in stores anymore but a blue spot or one spot butterflyfish. .
impossible to get to eat .
Any luck with them or are you mainly focused on moorish idols ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back