Keeping Wild Purple Urchins At Home

GottaLottaDogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody give me tips on how to care for these wild purple sea urchins I harvested from Half Moon Bay in NorCal? I have been keeping them in a bucket for now, and keeping the water cold. I have a spare 5 gallon tank I can put them in if need be. I'm just experimenting but if anyone has any advice that'd be great.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anybody give me tips on how to care for these wild purple sea urchins I harvested from Half Moon Bay in NorCal? I have been keeping them in a bucket for now, and keeping the water cold. I have a spare 5 gallon tank I can put them in if need be. I'm just experimenting but if anyone has any advice that'd be great.
What happens in Half Moon Bay, stays in Half Moon Bay, put them back where they belong-in North Pacific Ocean.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess you need to figure out what they eat first and foremost. Try some ulva if you have any or can? I guess you could go back to where they were collected and see what the others are eating (obviously kelp, but harvesting more of that would be counterproductive LOL).

OP
OP
GottaLottaDogs

GottaLottaDogs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess you need to figure out what they eat first and foremost. Try some ulva if you have any or can? I guess you could go back to where they were collected and see what the others are eating (obviously kelp, but harvesting more of that would be counterproductive LOL).
I did collect some kelp! I do have macros growing in my main tank, but right now they just seem unhappy from being rehomed and I'm not sure how to please them.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back