Keeping your aquarium water Crystal Clear?

Would you consider your aquarium water to be "Crystal Clear?"

• YES (tell us how you do it)

Votes: 336 49.4%
  • NO (join the club?)

Votes: 330 48.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 2.1%

• Total voters

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope not clear at all to many filter feeders and sponges but not too bad considering... It's still really pretty
20210403_115307.jpg
This might be a noob sounding question (which I am) but why do you attribute the lack of clarity to having too many filter feeders? Is it because of them or the type of food you feed or something else? I saw a documentary about the decline of the oyster reefs (ex: in the Chesapeake Bay) and they said that at one time the Bay was so clear you could see the bottom (I'm assuming they meant nearer the shore) and it was because of their filter feeding ways. Now that the reefs are endangered the water is getting cloudy although I'm sure pollution isn't helping.

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hands down... filter socks will make your water column clearer

But.... the quality of your front glass has a lot to do with that as well. Betting the pic above is low-iron starfire glass

Hi zoa. Callahan posted that low iron isn't noticeable when waters in the tank. He advises his multimillion dollar customers that there is no benefit in the glass but most opt to get it anyway. So would I if....

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't skim and don't run mechanical filtration and don't do water changes. Water is crystal clear. Lots of big zoa colonies scrub the water and I blast the tank with ozone once a week.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 micron socks big skimmer uv rox8. i used to run ozone as well but have noticed no difference since taking it offline a year ago. changing the carbon on time really has a big impact. like another member said clear water is easy keeping the glass clean is the biggest pain.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had voted no originally... but now it's a YES. I started to run carbon about a month ago and now my water is definitely crystal clear (if the glass is clean). It's crazy what a difference it has made.

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Would you consider your aquarium water to be "Crystal Clear?"
In the display tank? Nah... but man the water in the QT tank is perfect
2. What are the best ways to keep your water consistently clear?
I think it's the chemipure blue... the QT tank water is crystal clear and that's the only difference I can find between the two.

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My refugium is packed with chaeto. It grows from top to bottom and it acts as my filter. I only harvest the top portion of it. And I haven’t done a water change in about 6 months
image.jpg
I believe that once the tank matures it will achieve balance.
image.jpg
Obviously not a show sump, but man does it do the job! All I have in the sump is a coralife skimmer, and chaeto. That’s it. I dose alk, cal, and run kalk through my ATO. The KISS principle.

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
struggle for me to get crystal clear water, great tips here i'll have to try out!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is not crystal clear at all but I suppose it’s my fault as I only change 10g every 3 months. Have a skimmer rated for half the size of what my tank actually is and rarely change socks and don’t run any reactors.

I have a robust fish population and feed heavily.

I don’t care it’s not clear, I enjoy my tank anyways and it fits my lifestyle as a almost no maintaince tank mostly powered by a fuge

90E534DA-BC42-494B-A4DA-F53D2D37E4FE.jpeg

1C15CAF3-F4C1-4EC6-9CC9-C995579A9681.jpeg

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water clariry is overrated. Cloudiness allows you to see volumetric light rays.

Particles in the water also make your tank look more natural.

shanzfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just changed my vote from no to yes.....I had a Dino outbreak so I bought a UV steriliser and did a 70 hour black out. Yesterday I revealed my tank and the water is SO CLEAR! I’m very excited. I have a FW tank that is Crystal clear also so I am so happy to have both tanks looking beautiful. Today it still looks excellent even after heavy feedings

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question... when trying to get crystal clear water, I'm reading that a lot of you are running UV and carbon. I heard that UV wasn't good for reef tanks and that running carbon could increase the risk of HLLE in fish. Are these two statements true? Not true? Or doesn't matter?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lately, I've been using @SunnyX's coral snow method, and I'm finding it works great!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back