OP
Kellie in CA

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are your thoughts on this tank? I am really tempted in getting one and taking out the AIO champers, drilling it and making a 40L peninsula.
I’m sorry, I just saw this. I love this tank. The size is perfect, and I love AIO’s so it’s perfect for me. If you are going to tear it up, there might be a cheaper option for you.

OP
OP
Kellie in CA

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just dealing with all kinds of tank crap right now. Dino‘s popped up, so I’ve been doing tons of manual removal.

I’m also dealing with some water chemistry issues. Some kind of what I believe is precipitation appeared all over the back wall. At first I thought it was coralline because the growth pattern was very similar… but it was white. I spent the whole morning scraping, and the tank is looking good again. Now I just have to figure out the chemistry. I’ve been having a hard time keeping Alk up, so something is off. My new magnesium test arrives tomorrow. My current test read 550, which I’m pretty sure is impossible since the corals look great.

OP
OP
Kellie in CA

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, new test shows Magnesium is low, but not THAT low. Current parameters:

Mg 1140
KH 7.0
Ca 412
Phos .09
Salinity 1.025

I'm currently dosing Mg to try to get that number up, then hopefully I can get the Alk to stay above 7.

OP
OP
Kellie in CA

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
DA0A62BF-E882-4366-B3A8-E47F8896F62A.jpeg

Numbers are finally looking better! It’s amazing how much the corals responded to the higher magnesium, everything is huge!

Now I need to tackle these dinos. I have a new microscope arriving next week.

OP
OP
Kellie in CA

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Current FTS. Things are looking pretty good. Unfortunately going to a bigger tank didn't give me much room for new corals, but everything has been able to spread out a bit more. I'll probably add one more nice piece to the front left.

My giant blastos that I thought I was going to lose are coming back! They suddenly receeded to almost nothing a few months ago, but now there are about 10 new blastos growing (right under the KW pink nepthea).
IMG_1480.jpg

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks looks great if it wasn’t because you mentioned the issues one would had no idea.

What setting are you running the mp10 at?

OP
OP
Kellie in CA

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not much change lately. Just always trying to find the right place for all my sand dwellers. Everyone is happy now except the Trachy in front. Sigh! It has a very low tolerance for flow. I’ll keep trying!

AA76ECFC-C75A-411C-B6B4-B9975DD08F68.jpeg

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much change lately. Just always trying to find the right place for all my sand dwellers. Everyone is happy now except the Trachy in front. Sigh! It has a very low tolerance for flow. I’ll keep trying!

I’m sitting here laughing at myself because you’ve posted this beautiful picture of your tank with all those amazing corals, the scape looks fantastic, and I’m fixated on how clean that sand is instead of focusing on the coral. There’s something wrong with me.

OP
OP
Kellie in CA

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m sitting here laughing at myself because you’ve posted this beautiful picture of your tank with all those amazing corals, the scape looks fantastic, and I’m fixated on how clean that sand is instead of focusing on the coral. There’s something wrong with me.
Don’t be too jealous, I stirred it right before I took this pic. All you need is an acrylic rod, and you too can have lovely white sand. Best $3 you will spend. Haha

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be too jealous, I stirred it right before I took this pic. All you need is an acrylic rod, and you too can have lovely white sand. Best $3 you will spend. Haha
I moved back in June and during the process I removed all my sand. The way the scape was rebuilt you can’t see the bottom of the tank anymore. It’s wall to wall coral with zero open space so no sand stirring rod for me. It looks pretty cool but there’s really no easy way to properly clean it. I wish I had all that nice open sand.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kellie I have a large trachy. It almost died. I mean it was hard as a rock. I had noticed a very small tiny had made its home on it. I made a Plexiglas cover for it. Lots of holes for flow. I take it off and clean. It recovered and will need a larger cover soon

Shelley

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a photo. It is larger now. I never thought that it might cut the flow down also. Love your tank and corals
837D396D-7B9F-4A81-B4FE-95B34B7AF840.jpeg

Last edited:

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, have one of these tanks coming soon.

For cooling emergencies during a power outage, might I suggest a battery bank powered fan?

OP
OP
Kellie in CA

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I had a fun surprise last night. Came home to find my big colony of Beauty & the Beast Palys totally destroyed. About half of the original 30 polyps remained. I was so confused. Later that evening I see something floating around the tank so I go look and my new emerald crab is literally yanking all the palys off the rock one by one. What the heck? I collected as many as I could and glued them down in a new area.

I've had many emerald crabs over the years and have never had one do something like this. :disappointed-face:

FlyPenFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there's a subtle sub species of emeralds that are more prone to attack corals.

Kind of reminds me of peppermint shrimp. If you don't get the exact right kind, it's bad news.

trophyhimbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found your build thread and it's giving me hope that my 40L tank will look beautiful in a couple years! Very informative on how you are using the space and those corals look so happy even without a skimmer... sorry about the crab!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back