Ken's 215G Build

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stand looks very well built.
I would love to build my own stand as I am in the market for tank. Looking to buy about Jan.
but I am afraid i will be un happy with
stand I built my self, or it won’t end up being flat enough and causing issues.
I am mechanically inclined but I am very limited on finish quality wood work.
good luck can’t wait to see more.

dru312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been tracking my spending. Here's a breakdown by percentage of where my $$$ has been allocated. I should be in it about $7000.00 by the time its ready for livestock, which I think is pretty good.

I've saved literally thousands by buying used equipment and DIY so far. The tank is brand new though, not skimping there.

Screenshot_48.png
I just replaced my aquatic life t5s with Orpek OR3 (x3). So I know the pain of the lights. You're definitely saving tons of $ doing it the way your doing it (DIY is a must for reefers). Congrats and I can't wait to see it all finished. I have a pencil urchin if anyone wants to pay for shipping :_) It ate my green bay packer zoas a few days ago and I'm still salty.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stand looks very well built.
I would love to build my own stand as I am in the market for tank. Looking to buy about Jan.
but I am afraid i will be un happy with
stand I built my self, or it won’t end up being flat enough and causing issues.
I am mechanically inclined but I am very limited on finish quality wood work.
good luck can’t wait to see more.

You could do it! Lots of help on here. Getting it solid/level/flat isn’t too hard but making it not look DIY is a bit trickier. You could find a local cabinet guy and have him skin it for you.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just replaced my aquatic life t5s with Orpek OR3 (x3). So I know the pain of the lights. You're definitely saving tons of $ doing it the way your doing it (DIY is a must for reefers). Congrats and I can't wait to see it all finished. I have a pencil urchin if anyone wants to pay for shipping :_) It ate my green bay packer zoas a few days ago and I'm still salty.

I came THIS close to going with OR3 bars. Then I did the math, haha. Sorry to hear about your zoas, that’s brutal.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got more painting and miscellaneous stuff done.

I cut a 4” notch out the back of the stand. The tank is 24.5” front to back and the stand is 29”. The notch is for plumbing. On each side of the tank there will be a 4.5” door held on with magnets to hide the space between the tank and the wall and stop light spill.

1E159E68-9A0E-4A3B-A508-00D018532D94.jpeg

2B2D926A-E7F3-4A18-AF92-43EF8F40DC9D.jpeg

I also built a 1” tall rim around the entire inside of the stand. This is to allow for spills. It will be sealed with exterior grade paintable caulk. Believe it or not, this will hold about 10 gallons of water! That will give me time to wet vac up any spills. The rim and the floor will be painted with a paint made for boat hulls.

FB1E72D5-2D06-40BC-94A5-03493F4F375C.jpeg

I’m on track to skin it and build doors this weekend. I also have a bonus coming from work so I might be ordering the tank next week. :eek:

dru312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came THIS close to going with OR3 bars. Then I did the math, haha. Sorry to hear about your zoas, that’s brutal.
How many years of woodworking do you have under your belt? I can see by the equipment that you have spent some time in sawdust :_)

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many years of woodworking do you have under your belt? I can see by the equipment that you have spent some time in sawdust :_)

About 20 years, but I’ve never had dedicated space to be serious about it. I built the small shop you see in my pictures a year ago, so now I have a little room. I’m also building kitchen cabinets and some furniture for my kids.

U

User1

View Badges
Time to break out the big boy toys!! The stand front is designed like kitchen cabinets would be, so construction is the same. Because I’m attempting inset doors, everything has to be very accurate. The gap around the doors will be 3/32” so any mistake will show badly.

Cutting the side panels, 3/4” birch.
D38EDE8B-6F5A-4F48-9614-374C22A5F622.jpeg

Cutting the face frame on my MFT3 table. These were ripped on the table saw and cut to rough length on the miter saw first. Poplar is so pretty!
B005CC90-5D94-4C23-9EB3-13EA46F37920.jpeg

Next all the face frame pieces are mortised with a Domino joiner. It’s basically a drill that cuts a special square hole that these little domino tenons fit into. The joint is super strong and requires no nails or screws.
539634CF-6D07-41B5-BE4F-3D79208E93E7.jpeg

Here’s the hole the Domino cuts...
D9A3A7D0-C51C-4CE9-A472-FE89D669F4B5.jpeg

Nice tool selection :) I recently picked up one of Festool's shop vacs. I'm 100% thrilled - love that dang thing.

Great job btw.

U

User1

View Badges
Still waiting on live rock to ship from Tampa Bay Saltwater. They got delayed due to hurricanes and stuff. I’ve never bought rock without seeing it first so I’m super nervous. It’s really shocking to me how everyone uses dry rock these days.

BA0053F5-C47D-4A2D-935E-F5F36B6F8FA2.jpeg

Richard @ TBS is having a difficult year. You are right - weather has been causing a lot of delays with him. Still it will be the best rock you will ever own. Seriously. I personally do not have it but it was on my list. Ended up that I went with a larger tank and didn't budget properly so I had to switch to dry rock. As you pointed out the really shocking amount of dry rock used in the hobby. Two reasons one I believe is justified the other not so much. First would be price. Let us be honest dry rock is dirt cheap. Draw back is the amount of time it takes to mature. Many will say that it isn't true but dry rock just takes a long time to mature and seed no matter how you slice it. I'm 2 and a half years in and only now starting to consider it somewhat mature...who would have though.

Second reason is that people feel more secure that pests won't be introduced by using dry. Aiptasia, bristle worms, etc. The problem with this is that it goes out the door once you introduce the first fish or coral. Yes you can have solid QT or isolation protocols with dips, baths or more but the fact we are adding something to the tank it becomes a moot point. Mother nature is amazing so no stopping her.

Anyway I've talked to Richard @ TBS several times and a really great man. I honestly believe you will be happy with it.

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been tracking my spending. Here's a breakdown by percentage of where my $$$ has been allocated. I should be in it about $7000.00 by the time its ready for livestock, which I think is pretty good.

I've saved literally thousands by buying used equipment and DIY so far. The tank is brand new though, not skimping there.

Screenshot_48.png
I know what you mean. About 20 years ago I set up a "high-tech" for then 180 Oceanic RR. Bought the stand, had them make a custom canopy, then with lights, calcium reactor, chiller, skimmer, etc. I was in it about $14k before adding water. Now I'm coming back to the hobby after a 12 year hiatus, and DIYing, and second hand buying, as much as I can.
Looks like yours will be an awesome build.

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are tying guys.....many factors end up with live rock being at your airport....they all have to come together to make it happen.......This ain't like going to the supermarket and picking up a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs.

We are pretty much the only live rock source that is shipped, correctly, underwater.

Thus the demand is huge for the real thing.

Worst year I have ever seen for hurricanes...and more out there right now, just totally messes up the gulf.

I have about 35 folks on the wait list right now for rock....and to make it more painful...you can't get there from here lol... seriously...if you don't live in or are close to an airport Southwest fly's into...ain't gonna happen...Delta quit all connecting flights...they tell me until folks start flying again...freight from them is nada. Delta/united is laying off 20,000 folks....going to get worse...

This week....like last week...small craft warnings...can't go.....but I know it is hard for folks who are not in the weather know....how much it affects us....so if you are in a hurry.....gonna be a while 3-4 weeks...at least...mother nature will tell.....when you get charged for the rock..on your credit card.....that means you are on the short list.....

Richard TBS

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are tying guys.....many factors end up with live rock being at your airport....they all have to come together to make it happen.......This ain't like going to the supermarket and picking up a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs.

We are pretty much the only live rock source that is shipped, correctly, underwater.

Thus the demand is huge for the real thing.

Worst year I have ever seen for hurricanes...and more out there right now, just totally messes up the gulf.

I have about 35 folks on the wait list right now for rock....and to make it more painful...you can't get there from here lol... seriously...if you don't live in or are close to an airport Southwest fly's into...ain't gonna happen...Delta quit all connecting flights...they tell me until folks start flying again...freight from them is nada. Delta/united is laying off 20,000 folks....going to get worse...

This week....like last week...small craft warnings...can't go.....but I know it is hard for folks who are not in the weather know....how much it affects us....so if you are in a hurry.....gonna be a while 3-4 weeks...at least...mother nature will tell.....when you get charged for the rock..on your credit card.....that means you are on the short list.....

Richard TBS

It’s all good. I’m not concerned at all about the wait. I just hope I get nice pieces! Y’all stay safe. :cool:

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean. About 20 years ago I set up a "high-tech" for then 180 Oceanic RR. Bought the stand, had them make a custom canopy, then with lights, calcium reactor, chiller, skimmer, etc. I was in it about $14k before adding water. Now I'm coming back to the hobby after a 12 year hiatus, and DIYing, and second hand buying, as much as I can.
Looks like yours will be an awesome build.

I know right? It’s an expensive hobby, but it doesn’t have to be THAT expensive. It’s really easy to get swept away in all the stuff people say you need.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I caulked the interior and got it ready for final paint.

Also cut all the parts for the doors. Th e doors will be tricky because they are inset and everything needs to be accurate to 1/32”. The gap around the doors is 3/32”. I cut all parts 1/16” larger so I can trim and sand to fit the openings.

668230CD-EF33-4FFF-ABED-B9377F6A982D.jpeg

8F8874ED-B3B0-4695-9CA6-55103ACA29EC.jpeg

I plan to attach the skin tomorrow, so today I did final adjustments on the plywood top to make sure it is dead flat. I used a laser level to find high spots and used a special sander to grind it down flat.

Laser flat!

132F322F-7097-4A47-B837-B90E5CEFCD73.jpeg

It will look much different this time tomorrow! I will be staining it this week for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stuck waiting on paint to dry. I'm using Rustoleum Topside for the interior and it takes 24 hours for each coat to dry.

While I'm waiting on that, I ended up buying an Apogee PAR meter since BRS had them on sale $100 off today.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also trying to work out where I will mix saltwater. I don't have a fish room and there's no room in the house.

I am thinking about running plumbing into the wall behind the tank. I would add:
  • 1.25" drain line
  • 1" line to pump new saltwater into the tank for water changes
  • 1" line to pump RO water into an ATO
  • Several 1/4" lines in case I need them
These will go into the wall and down through the floor into my crawlspace.

For mixing saltwater, I may try to hide a 55G drum under the staircase and enclose around it with a false bookshelf (think secret door). I will keep another 55G drum underneath this one, in the crawlspace under the house. This would let me mix saltwater inside the house (because summers get too hot here).

To do water changes, I'd siphon water down the drain behind the tank (no hoses to run). To refill, I would pump water from the drum under the stairs, down under the house, about 10 feet over to where the tank is, back up through the wall and into the tank.

My wife will not like the staircase idea but marriage is full of compromise, I guess?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working on my stand. Doors are glued up, tomorrow those get trimmed, sanded and installed if I can find some hinges I like.

FBB51F26-5C5A-4C66-B80E-748FA2FE7BFC.jpeg

10EB6A9E-975A-4DD0-9CCF-D3F4F8D1D698.jpeg

Most of the skin is held together by Domino tenons. For anything that could get wet, I used these Sipo Mahogany tenons. They are very dense and won’t swell due to humidity.
0B43900A-FE5E-4035-9F89-2CF4C78AB424.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back