OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about trying the Hanna tester for Nitrates and Alkalinity since the phosphate tester that I have seems to be pretty accurate, but is a bit tedius. I bought the Red Sea kit to have something a little faster for more frequent testing and really like it. It's easy to do. Alk is what I test daily and I feel like the Salifert test has an area of around .5 where I'm not sure if it is fully pink yet. I'm the same as you with doing the same forever. That one I was thinking to get the Hanna Alk tester but you have me second guessing that. So maybe Red Sea is the was to go for that one too.
That Hanna Nitrate checker is torture, my LFS was showing it to me. I was going to try NYOS and Red Sea next for nitrate. Then again I used Salifert forever and it was never a problem. I really don’t need to know if the nitrate is 5ppm or 10ppm.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, I picked this up when I bought reagent yesterday. He’s a crazy blue green color. Never kept one of these, he seems cool.

A4AC8336-F45F-4458-BA0A-8137A236D6A0.jpeg

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to plan out my coral/invert quarantine system. I will quarantine for coral and fish pests, so coral have to be in here for the whole 76 day thing.

So far I have:
- 40 breeder
- AI Hydra 32
- 2x Tunze 6055, 7095 multicontroller
- 300W heater

Not sure if I’ll run a skimmer or just do water changes and run carbon. All seems like a pain in the butt, but with a system this size and for what coral/fish cost these days I’m willing to give it a go.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve set one up and I really like it. Have a HOB skimmer, heater and 2 20 yo maxijets with a wave master equally as old. Have the viparspectra for lighting. It allows me to observe the corals before they go into my DT. Already caught a couple of aiptasia and removed some bubble algae. Even nursed a hammer with bjd back to health. Also better than a fish qt cause things dont die.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve set one up and I really like it. Have a HOB skimmer, heater and 2 20 yo maxijets with a wave master equally as old. Have the viparspectra for lighting. It allows me to observe the corals before they go into my DT. Already caught a couple of aiptasia and removed some bubble algae. Even nursed a hammer with bjd back to health. Also better than a fish qt cause things dont die.
Ahh that’s really good to hear it’s worth the trouble. I’m still nervous about holding $$$ acros in there but I’ll work up to it. What kind of skimmer?

Funny about the maxijets, I have a couple that old I use in QT. At least I through out my Hagen 802s from the 90s. I used to love those things.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same-20 yo cpr aquatic backpack but it does a good job. Plus easy todo water changes. I have my sw mixing station in the fish room along with the qt tanks so easy to do wc every couple of days.

bitwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through this whole thread, and that was entertaining! Thanks for documenting everything. Amazing job with the stand and all the equipment choices.

Question for you on the controller piece: you said you're not using a doser right now. You'll probably need a controller or a standalone doser if you're going to load this up with SPS. Or are you using kalkwasser? I saw the stirrer you bought. I'm not familiar with that method.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through this whole thread, and that was entertaining! Thanks for documenting everything. Amazing job with the stand and all the equipment choices.

Question for you on the controller piece: you said you're not using a doser right now. You'll probably need a controller or a standalone doser if you're going to load this up with SPS. Or are you using kalkwasser? I saw the stirrer you bought. I'm not familiar with that method.
Thank you!

Yes I’ll use the kalk stirrer (or just kalk in my top off container at first) until corals are growing enough that it can’t keep up on its own, then I’ll add the calcium reactor (Geo 818).

When using kalk you still have to supplement magnesium but that’s easy. Kalk adds equal parts calcium and alkalinity. I keep 2-part around in case I need to make adjustments but otherwise no dosing.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running THREE weeks now.

Live rock is really taking off now! Im running two of the T5 bulbs for three hours a day. Kessils about four hours at 40%. Taking it slow until I see things hit a groove.

The second picture is of a rock that was in complete darkness during cycling. Lots of coralline starting already, easier to see under blues because it fluoresces.

ADEE01F0-D920-4E88-B4CA-7489D8230942.jpeg

9717214C-2E64-44B1-9F33-7DCEFBAF299A.jpeg

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you wind up getting your light elevator from? The motor in particular. Anything I’ve seen online has like a max weight of 9 lbs which ain’t gonna cut it.

Thanks.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sold my Apex. Got a good deal on a new-in-box GHL Profilux 4 starter. I wasn’t going to get another controller but couldn’t pass it up. Plus my Osmolator 3155 is well over ten years old and I’m going to use the Profilux for ATO rather than replace it.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you wind up getting your light elevator from? The motor in particular. Anything I’ve seen online has like a max weight of 9 lbs which ain’t gonna cut it.

Thanks.
I got it from METechs. This is the way-overkill model I bought, but there are much cheaper options I would be completely comfortable with now that I understand how it all works.

1 x​
Custom Width Large Heavy Duty Aluminum Tube and Motor Kit 3017 (CL845E-1517-Kit)

If you email them and tell then what you’re doing they will send some suggestions. They were pretty helpful.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This site is awesome. Even the one you got isn’t expensive. Much less than linear actuators I was considering. Did you get the rod from them as well?

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This site is awesome. Even the one you got isn’t expensive. Much less than linear actuators I was considering. Did you get the rod from them as well?
Yes that kit includes the rod, I ordered a 80” rod for $15 extra. It was under $250 for everything complete.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, other than the one you got, there is really only 1 other at that load and it’s like only $10 cheaper. There are others there but they don’t include remotes so by the time you add it all up it makes sense to get the heavy duty full kit.
One thing I don’t get. Why does a smaller diameter rod carry more load than a larger one?

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does a smaller diameter rod carry more load than a larger one?
Good question. I wonder if it’s a torque thing because of the smaller diameter. Of course it has to turn more to reel in the same length cable. I wonder which lifts faster.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got another batch of fish almost done with quarantine. I tried a fairy wrasse this time and he’s having trouble with copper power. He was fine at 1.9ppm for a few days but suddenly took a bad turn. Lethargic, just wants to lay there. I moved him out to a 10G with no meds to see if he will recover. His breathing looks better, color is fine, his eyes follow me around, but he still just lies on the floor. From now on I will do TTM on wrasses and anthias.

Other than that I’m getting much more comfortable with quarantine. I go to humble fish forums for everything QT related because I find there is more friendly, practical advice for hobbyists there.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got the wood to start building out my canopy. Couple of questions come to mind:
-How did you attach the cable to the rod?
-Is the black up take reel really necessary? Wouldn’t the cable wrap around the rod as it turns without it?
Thanks.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back