OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got the wood to start building out my canopy. Couple of questions come to mind:
-How did you attach the cable to the rod?
-Is the black up take reel really necessary? Wouldn’t the cable wrap around the rod as it turns without it?
Thanks.
Nice! Can’t wait to see it.

There’s holes drilled into the rod where the screw holes are in the reel. I ran the cable through one and then screwed a clamp thing on it so it couldn’t fit back out the hole, if that makes sense. I just realized I didn’t take pictures of that... the clamp is some random part I found at home depot. I’ll try to find name of it.

I think you could do without the reel. I did try without it and it didn’t wind nicely but would probably be ok. It was noisy too because it would kind of squeak and groan and slip around. I think it will never bind with the reel on though. I’m still learning 3D modeling but I can probably scale the model for your rod diameter and print you some if you want.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be awesome, thanks. Yeah, I figured metal cable on metal rod might be noisy. When you get a chance send a few pics. No rush as the canopy has to be built and then tied into a bookcase. Me and my bright ideas= more work. As if setting up a 240 gal and a basement fish room wasn’t enough. Stamp collecting is starting to sound good.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More toys have arrived. Deltec 1000ix.

18ADA215-966D-4A9B-8B44-78016A91B5A9.jpeg
Best skimmer I've ever owned!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish finishing copper today... naso, melanaurus wrasse, lamarck angel, tailspot blenny, chalk bass, and a black molly.

Naso tang stopped eating a couple days ago so hoping he starts up again once he’s in clean water.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish finishing copper today... naso, melanaurus wrasse, lamarck angel, tailspot blenny, chalk bass, and a black molly.

Naso tang stopped eating a couple days ago so hoping he starts up again once he’s in clean water.
You’re really ramping up the fish pop. Any coral additions yet?

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be a long night. I have two swallowtail angels in quarantine and I see velvet on one of them. Starting hybrid TTM here after the water aerates. The other angel has a brown bacterial infection on her fins and lip. Been treating with Furan-2 and sulfaplex until cipro arrives Monday. Lots of help from humblefish on all this. At least I’m learning a lot.

Quarantine is hard but I feel like it’s all been worth it now that I just avoided dumping velvet in my display.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them about a week till it showed up. I’m terrified it spreads to other tanks from a refractometer or something. I’m trying to be super careful. Luckily this tank is like 15 feet away from my other QT tanks.

So far everyone’s alive but I know the odds are not great.

mrbh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read from start to finish! The stand is amazing and the inset doors are a step above my skill set. I am also building a tank and I should be ready to start ordering and QT’ing fish soon. Is the humblefish? Qt forum somewhere on R2R or is it an outside site? Thanks for writing up everything. It’s good to hear the trials and tribulations of someone trying to do things the rite way

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read from start to finish! The stand is amazing and the inset doors are a step above my skill set. I am also building a tank and I should be ready to start ordering and QT’ing fish soon. Is the humblefish? Qt forum somewhere on R2R or is it an outside site? Thanks for writing up everything. It’s good to hear the trials and tribulations of someone trying to do things the rite way
Thank you! Start to finish is a long read at this point.

There is a separate humble.fish site. R2R has a disease/treatment forum as well. They are both good but have very different approaches. I like humblefish because they have instructions for all diseases/medications/procedures in easy to follow articles. These articles are like their guiding principles. When things go bad, there's a strong group of likeminded people there to help. The advice they give is direct and consistent with their articles. The signal to noise ratio is very low compared to other sites.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m shocked all these fish are still alive with velvet. The H2O2 bath got them this far.

I was instructed to start “salvage protocol” and it really seems effective. The temp is 72F and salinity 1.013, and the fish seem slow, almost asleep, but breathing normally.

I’m most worried about the larger angel because she had bacterial issues (fin/lip) before the velvet. She looks beat.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost both angels during the night. I'm bummed I was not able to save them, but I'm very glad I did not dump these fish into my display tank when I bought them.

I think I will try to put all new fish through a H2O2 bath before going into QT from now on. I think if I would have done this and started copper right away, these two would have made it. The reason I didn't start copper right away this time was I noticed one of the fish had bacterial issues starting and I tried to treat that first.

I still have a tiny matted filefish in the velvet tank. Hopefully I can save him. And not spread velvet to my other tanks!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear it. Did you get these like all your other fish from LA DD?

No these were both local stores. I do have one from DD in another tank and she’s a healthy beast.

But check this out....

One of the angels is still alive! I guess she was just wedged in a weird spot when I turned the lights on this morning and was breathing slow? Never had this happen in 30 years.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back