OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here’s where I’m at. This is just clamped in place. Tomorrow I need to paint the interior white and then I’ll attach the skin panels. After that it just needs trim and stain.

2DDA53E2-8FC5-4980-878F-09E159C54704.jpeg

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s kinda what I was thinking. I would get some of that foundation Marco rock as the base and build of that. Might try it out.

I wonder if the super glue gel method works on damp rock. Seems like it would.
I love foundation Marco. Have used that a lot. I think you are on the right track

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s true, I’m sure it’ll be good stuff. I guess I’m mostly worried about the shapes. I don’t want round boulders or flat slabs!!

I really like some of these NSA aquascapes like the one BRS did but I guess you can’t really do those with wet rock. Anyone know?
I scaped my rocks wet. I tried emarco and nyos and Nyos works a lot better because it’s super fast setting. I cemented to bases of the rock outside the tank (still wet), and scaped the rest of the rock in the tank. I would drain the tank down as far as I needed, scape/cement, and refill multiple times (yes it’s a pain). But didn’t want to dry out the rock. It’s possible!

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your doing a fantastic job but I will make a suggestion add a 1 inch thick solid pine (any soft wood really)top to the stand for the tank to sit on iv built alot of stands over the years and I noticed durring this time as the wood warps and settles it can make the glass bow slightly (had 1 shatter over time) with the addition of a soft wood foundation the tank settles into this wood and it mitigates the slight amount of bowing you get when the wood warps also glue everything with professional grade loctite super glue as this will keep the stand from comming apart if one of the screws should fail

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I scaped my rocks wet. I tried emarco and nyos and Nyos works a lot better because it’s super fast setting. I cemented to bases of the rock outside the tank (still wet), and scaped the rest of the rock in the tank. I would drain the tank down as far as I needed, scape/cement, and refill multiple times (yes it’s a pain). But didn’t want to dry out the rock. It’s possible!

Thanks! That is really helpful, I’ll order some Nyos and try that out. I’m going to experiment on some old rock and see what works.

I’m planning to let the tank sit for a couple months before stocking it so I have some time to work out aquascape.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your doing a fantastic job but I will make a suggestion add a 1 inch thick solid pine (any soft wood really)top to the stand for the tank to sit on iv built alot of stands over the years and I noticed durring this time as the wood warps and settles it can make the glass bow slightly (had 1 shatter over time) with the addition of a soft wood foundation the tank settles into this wood and it mitigates the slight amount of bowing you get when the wood warps also glue everything with professional grade loctite super glue as this will keep the stand from comming apart if one of the screws should fail

I’ve got a 23/32 pine top on there now. It said it’s rated for subfloors. Hopefully that is sufficient, I’m not sure of the specs beyond that. It will be sealed with marine grade paint, including all four edges.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I’m getting ready to start my stand sometime this week and your pics have inspired me to get off my rear and dive in. Following and cheering you on from Houston!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I’m getting ready to start my stand sometime this week and your pics have inspired me to get off my rear and dive in. Following and cheering you on from Houston!

That's awesome, yeah get started. I put it off for a long time and then realized I need to just get going. Good luck!

Enjoy your build, its very enjoying even before there's water

Thanks, yeah the beginning is a lot of fun. I must spend hours a day planning things out in my head. I'll be kinda sad when that part is over and then I have to deal with the hard parts like a $100 frag melting because a crab bumped into it.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if my stand needs additional bracing to prevent racking? I’m not sure if the face frame on the front will be enough. The sides are 3/4” birch so no worries there.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been tracking my spending. Here's a breakdown by percentage of where my $$$ has been allocated. I should be in it about $7000.00 by the time its ready for livestock, which I think is pretty good.

I've saved literally thousands by buying used equipment and DIY so far. The tank is brand new though, not skimping there.

Screenshot_48.png

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back