Kenya tree frag is melting on its second day. There are pieces all over the tank. Will any piece actually survive?

Mary Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the title reads. What are the odds of any of those tiny pieces actually surviving?
On the funny side, my lawnmower blenny is going crazy picking up some of the pieces and moving them around.
Please let me know if this happened to anyone else and whether or not the little pieces made it.
D6012990-6B54-452A-9D79-1A73F078517E.jpeg
t
A105B41C-4CFC-4A4F-B600-885C078833D4.jpeg

The second picture was taken 3 hours after the first one.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tree is melting it may be disease and there's nothing you can do. Your PH could also be off and the water is too acidic or alkaline. How long have you had it? Your light seems really bright and it might have something to do with it. The frag looks super pale with means it blew it's zooxanthella. If the other pieces are as pale I don't think theres much of a chance they will survive. But nothing is impossible.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks done in the second picture. Is this your first coral? I would be concerned you have an issue as these are some of the hardiest corals out there. I've forgotten about frags out of water for some time and they've bounced back.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks done in the second picture. Is this your first coral? I would be concerned you have an issue as these are some of the hardiest corals out there. I've forgotten about frags out of water for some time and they've bounced back.

Depends on how it was shipped to them. If it was shipped snail mail (2nday priority) it probably got too hot or too cold and suffered cell damage. I've gotten plenty of tree corals in the mail like that, along with toad stools, so they do handle it well as long as they aren't left out in a vehicle overnight or cook in one during the day.

OP
OP
Mary Carmen

Mary Carmen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi andrewkw! It is not my first coral. I have a gsp, a sea ehip, 4 types of zoas, an acan, 2 types of monti a cat’s paw, a xenia, and a toadstool. They are all doing well. Three of the zoas came in the same shipment that the kenya tree, and they are doing ok. The polyps are still small, but it is only day two, so I think they will do fine. I believe the kenya tree is DOA. I am going to contact the online store and ask for a replacement or a refund.
Thank you

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Too much light and current may be your likely reasons.

eea60123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve watched them melt in tanks that had softies, SPS, and LPS corals thriving. Sometimes you get a dud which is no fault of your own. I agree they are super hardy, but as I stated, I watched one melt in a refeer’s tank that had 20+ years experience with the tank set up for many years. It’s dead and just don’t know it yet. I doubt it’s you, my money is on the supplier or shipping company.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%

Back