Kessil 160SW Tuna Sun and Corals

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a family member that grows pot. They shifted from the grow purple lights to full spectrum. Guessing they got tired of squinting. Same lights I was going to use to grow chaeto and has been promoted as needed for chaeto yet reality is that you don't need the purple haze to grow photosynthetic organism. He's also mentioned that he's not able to get more illumination from the day light bulbs although it still has a few rows of red.

I get where coral farmers want to increase efficiency and there cost does matter but I'd rather enjoy the aesthetics of my tank although I understand that for many that blue hue is what they seek. So long as it grows then it seems we can pick and why I'm leaning towards the Straton or Coral Care 2 as it appears those best resemble white light but I still need to see them in person. Saw Radion Gen 5 Blues and they weren't as blue in person as what I'm seeing on my monitor. Granted they were bluer than I'd seek but still not as bad. Monitors due tend to misrepresent and mine is a photo eccentric monitor that came calibrated although I haven't since and should.

Seems par is more important than spectrum for my needs.
Not sure I've EVER heard anyone say "it's bluer in person" for any light..
:)

May want to look at an older version or at least keep in mind the changes.
They made it "bluer" and less"purple-y. Note 70cri whites:
The absorbed power declared is 190 watt. Obviously, the led are all Philips Lumileds and they’re distributed in this way (the old configuration is in parenthesis):
  • 32 Luxeon TX 6500K/70 (before 40);
  • 40 Luxeon T Royal Blue (before 32);
  • 8 Luxeon UV 420nm (before 16);
  • 8 Luxeon Rebel Cyan;
  • 8 Luxeon Rebel Phosphor Converted Amber;
  • 8 Luxeon Z Blue (there were none).
The two channels in which they are distributed are the following ones:
Channel 1:
  • 32 Luxeon T Royal Blue;
  • 8 Luxeon UV 420nm (before 16);
  • 8 Luxeon Z Blue (there were none).

Channel 2:
  • 32 Luxeon TX 6500K/70;
  • 8 Luxeon Rebel Cyan;
  • 8 Luxeon Rebel Phosphor Converted Amber;
  • 8 Luxeon T Royal Blue (there were none).

20200818_124129WEB.jpg

Funny thing I looked up ocean water light attenuation.Even at 50 meters it is about 20% green 80% blue light.
You don't get "pure blue" to about 100m (@ 1% of ambient)
IF anyone's corals were acclimated to and collected from 100m .. more power to you.. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
GARRIGA

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure I've EVER heard anyone say "it's bluer in person" for any light..
:)

May want to look at an older version or at least keep in mind the changes.
They made it "bluer" and less"purple-y. Note 70cri whites:

20200818_124129WEB.jpg

Funny thing I looked up ocean water light attenuation.Even at 50 meters it is about 20% green 80% blue light.
You don't get "pure blue" to about 100m (@ 1% of ambient)
IF anyone's corals were acclimated to and collected from 100m .. more power to you.. ;)
Aren’t most corals in 60ft or less? Thing is that the wave lengths at 60ft same as 200 or 2. As far as blue. What I don’t get about not using full spectrum. Assuming it has all the wave lengths. Why lighting is not something I’ve been able to wrap my head around and now we are learning it’s not just about par or wave lengths by exposure too. DLI. Like I wasn’t already lost

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren’t most corals in 60ft or less? Thing is that the wave lengths at 60ft same as 200 or 2. As far as blue. What I don’t get about not using full spectrum. Assuming it has all the wave lengths. Why lighting is not something I’ve been able to wrap my head around and now we are learning it’s not just about par or wave lengths by exposure too. DLI. Like I wasn’t already lost
Nice synopses on all that you are questioning. Won't exactly answer your question but it helps with understanding what questions to ask..
One catch, there is no need or is it always desirable to "replicate nature exactly"

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back