Kessil 360x Owners - Please share your 6 month review!

PirateDan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6in at 40% Everything is doing great.I’ve got one SPS that’s a foot away from the light I think I paid 20 bucks for it just to see how it would do. It’s growing just not super fast.

U

User1

View Badges
I think everyone is curious on color and growth. And if it can maintain a sps dominated tank.

I think this holds true with regards to any LED manufacture. I don't think it is directly related to Kessil. Ecotech's coral lab paper proves LED's can grow corals. Plenty of hobbyists are using LED's be it off the shelf or DIY.

Side note - Kessil X series can mimic the profiles if one wants if they have the spectrum controller. If that is important.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nice LFS didn’t like the 360x .

I appreciate the feedback. But I'm looking for facts. Pictures. Real results.

Why didnt your LFS not like the light? What couldnt they over come? What were they trying to grow? What did they switch to?

Maybe this light can't grow SPS well. I'm sure people have tried. Where are they... who knows.

I'm also curious on the 360 Narrow Reflector filter. Description below. I'm curious how much that improves par.

The A360X Narrow Reflector strengthens the light beam of the best-in-class A360 for further penetration and contrast. With an easy to attach magnetic design, the reflector increases the center light intensity by up to 3x while adding a dynamic depth to your tank. This accessory is perfect for deep tanks or SPS corals with strict light requirements.

Designed for SPS-dominated tanks and/or aquariums up to 5 feet deep, the Narrow Reflector focuses the light of the A360 to provide an abundance of light energy.

@Bulk Reef Supply we need your input and updated results!

U

User1

View Badges
I appreciate the feedback. But I'm looking for facts. Pictures. Real results.

Why didnt your LFS not like the light? What couldnt they over come? What were they trying to grow? What did they switch to?

Maybe this light can't grow SPS well. I'm sure people have tried. Where are they... who knows.

I'm also curious on the 360 Narrow Reflector filter. Description below. I'm curious how much that improves par.

The A360X Narrow Reflector strengthens the light beam of the best-in-class A360 for further penetration and contrast. With an easy to attach magnetic design, the reflector increases the center light intensity by up to 3x while adding a dynamic depth to your tank. This accessory is perfect for deep tanks or SPS corals with strict light requirements.

Designed for SPS-dominated tanks and/or aquariums up to 5 feet deep, the Narrow Reflector focuses the light of the A360 to provide an abundance of light energy.

@Bulk Reef Supply we need your input and updated results!

The reflector as you posted is to narrow the spread of the light and provide the punch for depth. I understand you are asking for reviews but you maybe need to widen your net and do some web searches, watch some videos, etc.

Have you watched the BRS video with regards to the light? It will tell you about the light and why they liked it. However, it will not tell or show you growth.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since
I think everyone is curious on color and growth. And if it can maintain a sps dominated tank. If it can what are the results.

I do think the 360x with a T5 hybrid setup is one of the best all around options out there.
Since the original 360's can then the 360x should too. If any one wants to send me a few, my tank can be the Guinea pig!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2d298f5a80649ee98c2392e02a5bc162.jpg
c95097c8c6723878950a1c4fde86c4a1.jpg

Here's my 22g before I upgraded. It had 3 160's over it. I did add a T5 fixture towards the end, only because I didn't want to buy another 160 knowing that I was going to use AP700's for the new tank and I found a great deal on an ATI fixture for less than a 160. In the fittest pic you can see the three 160's inn the reflection. I had two in front on an angle and one in the back middle.

U

User1

View Badges
@saf1 I have searched youtube, forums etc.. Very little updated results. Little to none dealing with SPS. Just a review on what it can do out of the box.

Yeah - I hear ya. I just do not think you are going to find what you are looking for yet. There are a few members here with some large tanks that added a couple to see how they compared to the W series. The W series is growing SPS just fine. The X is blending in well. However, the general feedback I got when talking to them that they didn't see a need to upgrade to the X right away. I think this is going to be a common theme with existing owners.

New owners, take me for example, see the value and have since taken a chance. I'm coming from a DIY setup and 30" tall tank. I like my reflectors on my chips because it helps punch through the water column yet provide a decent spread to fill in the gaps. What the Kessil's bring to the table though is overall contrast or depth. It is hard to explain what I'm seeing but it is just different when comparing my 8 LED multi channel 384 watt system to the 3 90 watt Kessils.

Sort of like watching a 4K moving on a set without HDR. While the 4k looks nice in general watching the same movie again on a set that supports HDR, well, it is night and day different. That is how I'm thinking about the a360x.

What I don't like is apex / controller integration by default.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of softies but the SPS frags I have (including acro’s) have shown growth and good coloration under the kessil 360x
eb0b9ccad31d09217006a349da24356b.jpg

This M confusa was cut a couple months ago and as you see it has started encrusting the base.
86b1dedf0b4e4ba2f979789107c1e320.jpg

Full tank shot
e0d635e3de366d33682bf99421476dc1.jpg

I have a monti cap I put in both tanks and coloration and growth is similar under the kessil and the orphek. I have my kessil set to 40% color and 65% intensity and I get 250+ par on the bottom of the tank (10” of water or so”) I had it set at 55% color and the par was the same at 50% intensity. It’s a point light source so like all point light sources the par diminishes as you get away from the center of the tank and shadowing occurs on the outside faces of the rock structure (this is why I have zoas growing there). I considered a aquatic life hybrid fixture but I fell it will diminish the look of the tank so i will keep with sps in the center and softies and lower light corals on the edges.

Edit- I do want to point out I have my kessil mounted higher than recommended as I wanted better spread near the top of the tank

I’ll try to get some picks of my acro’s so you can see the coloration

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Nice setup there @lbacha. What stands out is the mounting height difference between the two lights you are using. The 360x really has a sweet spot between 6 and 8" it seems.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup there @lbacha. What stands out is the mounting height difference between the two lights you are using. The 360x really has a sweet spot between 6 and 8" it seems.

Yep, it works at that height with my setup since it is such a small form factor (I’m actually about 9-10”). The orphek on the other hand was a temporary light till I upgraded to a much bigger tank but that was over a year ago and the bigger tank turned out to be the 25g lagoon which seemed perfect for the 360x which I wanted to try anyways so the bigger tank will still hopefully be coming, lol. Since it’s so big I had to mount it high to be able to work in the tank.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of softies but the SPS frags I have (including acro’s) have shown growth and good coloration under the kessil 360x
eb0b9ccad31d09217006a349da24356b.jpg

This M confusa was cut a couple months ago and as you see it has started encrusting the base.
86b1dedf0b4e4ba2f979789107c1e320.jpg

Full tank shot
e0d635e3de366d33682bf99421476dc1.jpg

I have a monti cap I put in both tanks and coloration and growth is similar under the kessil and the orphek. I have my kessil set to 40% color and 65% intensity and I get 250+ par on the bottom of the tank (10” of water or so”) I had it set at 55% color and the par was the same at 50% intensity. It’s a point light source so like all point light sources the par diminishes as you get away from the center of the tank and shadowing occurs on the outside faces of the rock structure (this is why I have zoas growing there). I considered a aquatic life hybrid fixture but I fell it will diminish the look of the tank so i will keep with sps in the center and softies and lower light corals on the edges.

Edit- I do want to point out I have my kessil mounted higher than recommended as I wanted better spread near the top of the tank

I’ll try to get some picks of my acro’s so you can see the coloration

Here are some pics I just took
f056ca56062e4440dd5be80cf3a70bdc.jpg
d5aef057e8bcacdbebbf3a65d2aa853b.jpg
8f3df0f296ab7e13ece35efc65331edb.jpg
267531b7b767091616819e20c6c96ca8.jpg
4bab93b02f2fc4c19b1fc7ac2835ea4c.jpg

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reflector as you posted is to narrow the spread of the light and provide the punch for depth. I understand you are asking for reviews but you maybe need to widen your net and do some web searches, watch some videos, etc.

Have you watched the BRS video with regards to the light? It will tell you about the light and why they liked it. However, it will not tell or show you growth.
Exactly. I don't need to see "box openings " or par charts from anyone anymore. Show me their examples of coral growth and color with before and after pictures.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back