Kessil 360x to neptune apex

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been up in the air between which kessil to get the 360x or 360we. Seeing that these are on-sale at brs I was gonna pull the trigger on the 360x, I looked at the kessil-apex cable and it doesn't mention being compatible with the 360x. Can this not be connected to the apex?

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any experience with either of these? I was going to get the 360x since its newer and says puts out 25% more light but the apex deal is kind of a deal breaker for me. I don't want to pay an extra 100 for the controller when I can get the older one and it will plug right into my apex.

Is the x that much better than the older ones?

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 360 WE lights connected to an Apex. I bought the WE over the X for that very reason. I like the lower profile of the new light, but no Apex = no deal for me.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and control both lights with the spectral controller x. I would buy the x while not apex compatible yet Kessel has plans to allow apex control through the wifi dongle. The x lights have better color, better control, wider optics, quieter fans, and a redesigned cooling system that should make the lights last longer.

I have been happy with both lights but I would buy an x if I were getting new lights today.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the two above reply. I have the 360WE controlled via Apex profiles.

Kind of a though decision since the discount is now and Kessil haven't provided a date only that they're working on Apex compatibility. In terms of performance I don't believe it's 25% more light based on the BRS Investigate video. You should check them out they did par numbers/height/color/intensity for both lights.

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 360 WE lights connected to an Apex. I bought the WE over the X for that very reason. I like the lower profile of the new light, but no Apex = no deal for me.
How do you like these? It makes no sense to me to pay 90 more for the light, then 100 for the dongle or controller

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me my 360s have lasted about 6 years. I have started with the original non WE in 2012. I was fine with this because nothing lasts forever and I would expect to replace my laptop or phone every 6 years at least. However if the new lights last 50% longer as kessil claims regardless of all the other benefits that makes them worth it for me. Honestly even 1 year longer would get me to pay $90 more.

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me my 360s have lasted about 6 years. I have started with the original non WE in 2012. I was fine with this because nothing lasts forever and I would expect to replace my laptop or phone every 6 years at least. However if the new lights last 50% longer as kessil claims regardless of all the other benefits that makes them worth it for me. Honestly even 1 year longer would get me to pay $90 more.
I wasn't aware that they're expected to last longer, that alone makes the X worth it. The controller allows you to ramp up and down the lights and I suppose have some sorta moon light through the night?

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
X series has moonlight with a full moon cycle. The new fan design is what is supposed to make the lights last longer.

bigjgmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like these? It makes no sense to me to pay 90 more for the light, then 100 for the dongle or controller
I like them. I like Kessil lights period. The “old” ones are great because you are guaranteed to get proper spectrum regardless of color and intensity settings. I went from two A160WE on a 40 gallon to two A360WE on a 100 gallon. Good coral growth and color and no overthinking it. Love ‘em.

OP
OP
J

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like them. I like Kessil lights period. The “old” ones are great because you are guaranteed to get proper spectrum regardless of color and intensity settings. I went from two A160WE on a 40 gallon to two A360WE on a 100 gallon. Good coral growth and color and no overthinking it. Love ‘em.
After talking with someone tonight at brs about the we and x, I went with the we. He mentioned some tests that were done on the brs160 and that there's not too much difference between the two to justify paying $200 more for the x to have it controlled.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back