Kessil A160we fan issue - anyone taken one apart and replaced it?

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been searching on here but not finding anyone who has taken apart the Kessil A160we and replaced the fan. I searched on YouTube as well. My fan quit on mine and Kessil wants $100 to evaluate it plus shipping both ways (also offered a discount on a new one, but didn't want to spend over 200 right now). I bought a used one, but I'd like to repair the old one's fan to keep as a backup. Anyone done this with success?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have replaced my A350 fan and I imagine the process being pretty similar. Digikey has a ton of options so really its matching voltage, RPM and size. From these I just cut the old fan out, soldered on the new fan's wires and reassembled.

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to tear it apart this weekend (I hope), since the replacement already arrived. I was looking to see if anyone has fan specs already etc.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you figure out how to disassemble please let us know. I tried looking for info a few months back and came up empty. I wanted to clean the led lens from the inside. It had a little dust build up. I was afraid to tackle disassembly for fear of damaging the unit. Looking forward to hearing your success. Good luck with the project.

xtian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you figure out how to disassemble please let us know. I tried looking for info a few months back and came up empty. I wanted to clean the led lens from the inside. It had a little dust build up. I was afraid to tackle disassembly for fear of damaging the unit. Looking forward to hearing your success. Good luck with the project.
You need a 0.9mm hex screwdriver(5 bucks on amz). The body housing has screws along the top side and bottom side that you remove. Once removed, you just pop off the lens and pull out the guts.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a 0.9mm hex screwdriver(5 bucks on amz). The body housing has screws along the top side and bottom side that you remove. Once removed, you just pop off the lens and pull out the guts.
Thank you!!!

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a 0.9mm hex off amazon (worked perfectly). There were 3 screws on the top and bottom once out it slid right out. I confirmed the fan isn't working but I'm stuck trying to remove the fan from the upper circuit boards. There are holes on top but I can't tell what type of screw etc is there.

kessil160a.jpg kessil160b.jpg kessil160c.jpg

OP
OP
B

bryanr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, so have you found a suitable replacement fan and way to remove it? I have the same issue...
I did not. I purchased a fan, but did not find how to remove it, so it got filed away in my spare parts bin.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve posted replies to other threads…..it seems like there’s one every month. Here’s a pic of the fan. They’re available on line for like $10 or less. I would cut the wires, leaving enough room to attach to unless you want to remove coating and solder to the board. If I remember right the fan is fused with a surface mount fuse so if you’re not set up for that it can be difficult.
CEC08089-946C-4291-A64F-B36BD6692083.jpeg

darkcow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this post when I was researching doing this replacement myself, and ended up making a quick guide on what I eventually did.

So for the prosperity of future googlers who find this post

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a lot of photos, make sure you get the fan orientation correct, if you can search one of my threads, I have a step by step on how to take apart a 160.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back