Kessil A360X’s and Acropora Success

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I’m at now I’ve got the light 8 inches off the water, the tank is 16 inches deep. 50% intensity should be enough don’t you think? @saf1

U

User1

View Badges
I believe 8 is a good starting point for spread and coverage. Intensity is going to depend on previous lighting it is replacing and acclimation. As noted earlier in the thread, maybe a page back, acclimation is important. 50% may be too high to start but perfectly fine as the tank matures.

I would start at a lower intensity and see how it looks / reacts then go from there. Easier and safer to start lower and increase than higher and have issues. If that makes sense.

Reefman71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe 8 is a good starting point for spread and coverage. Intensity is going to depend on previous lighting it is replacing and acclimation. As noted earlier in the thread, maybe a page back, acclimation is important. 50% may be too high to start but perfectly fine as the tank matures.

I would start at a lower intensity and see how it looks / reacts then go from there. Easier and safer to start lower and increase than higher and have issues. If that makes sense.
Good idea, thank you!

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a only 3 A360X’s too but over a 72” 120 gallon tank. Works for my tank just fine. It’s all about placement. I do want the t-5 hybrid fixture tho but my tank is doing just fine without it

izzyishh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some good reading here. I am planing to use a single ap9x over a drop off tank that is 36"Lx24"Wx24"H. The top tier of the tank will be for my sps and lower tier for LPS and sofites on the bottom. I think with the square shape of the tank I should have good success with a mixed reef.

Top tier will be flatter/branches for sps and an arch structure with branches as you go down (hope this makes sense) to place torches

Attachments

• Drop Off Concept.pdf
    91.9 KB · Views: 60

cheelayqeelay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been a kessil guy for about 5 years. Moved 3 of these old (not x) and then got 2 more when I upgraded tank. They do fine for SPS.

I also have mine with about a 6-hour max period at 50% white. They get bluer as they dim.
Is this a 5 foot tank?

cheelayqeelay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been a kessil guy for about 5 years. Moved 3 of these old (not x) and then got 2 more when I upgraded tank. They do fine for SPS.

I also have mine with about a 6-hour max period at 50% white. They get bluer as they dim.
@techdef is this a 5 foot tank?

woops! Meant to send a message not post again...

cheelayqeelay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 6 foot tank, will start a build thread soon (though the project itself will be a long one to get tank set up), and, going to see how far I can get off 3 A360X's w/ mixed reef. Very curious, especially since Kessil themselves state that a single A360X is good for a 2 foot by 2 foot area at a 4-6" mounting height for SPS-dominant tanks (http://kessil.com/aquarium/choosing.php).

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got a 6 foot tank, will start a build thread soon (though the project itself will be a long one to get tank set up), and, going to see how far I can get off 3 A360X's w/ mixed reef. Very curious, especially since Kessil themselves state that a single A360X is good for a 2 foot by 2 foot area at a 4-6" mounting height for SPS-dominant tanks (http://kessil.com/aquarium/choosing.php).
Real world is much smaller, I would say 18” to 20” square. I’m running 6 over my 36x36x16

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back