Kessil A360X or Radion xr15?

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple thread here. For a waterbox 15g nano peninsula should I go with kessil a360x or radion xr15. Is the kessil a360x their latest model? I plan on having a mixed reef with more emphasis on SPS ! Thanks !

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for the g5 xr15s but comparing the g4 to the a360, I greatly prefer the a360x due to color blending and the color look as well. The xr15 iirc has more par overall though.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak for the g5 xr15s but comparing the g4 to the a360, I greatly prefer the a360x due to color blending and the color look as well. The xr15 iirc has more par overall though.
i know im stuck i cant decide ... i know the kessil looks the best and i reallly really want it but from the looks of BRS testing the radion blows the kessil out of the water PAR wise... is this true ? how can this be if they are both 90 watt lights ?

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I’m currently using both in my sps system.
Visually, indeed the XR15 seems to illuminate much more than the Kessil. Again, visually!
No doubt that the light from Kessil is way more charming (shimmer). Once again, visually!

Said that, for the tank size that you mentioned, any choice you will be well served.

I have same sps frags under Radion and Kessil... and between both... it is a bit early, but so far not much big differences.

At least this is a nice doubt.
Today, I’m not sure which one to pick if I need to select only one.
Maybe Radion because I also have MP40, Vectra... so everything via Mobius...

4A000364-83C1-415E-916F-CBE7F9D6123E.jpeg
4512AA53-9367-49C5-A169-039E7B1C3EC7.jpeg

Yellow Coris Wrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used both and they are both great lights. Kessils look better and offer more shimmer (if you like shimmer) while XR15s spread a little more and have more power. However, a 15 gallon nano is so small, I cannot imagine you will not need the extra par output that the XR15 offers.

Which one do you think LOOKS better on tanks you have seen? That’s the right option.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
For the tank size, you might be fine with an AI Prime 16HD.

I like the color of xr15 G5 blues in their AB+ mode. It is the right spectrum blend yet not too blue that you can’t enjoy colors on the fish. I also like the app. I have only had AI lights in the past. Then I am also not a fan of too much shimmer the Kessils give.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know im stuck i cant decide ... i know the kessil looks the best and i reallly really want it but from the looks of BRS testing the radion blows the kessil out of the water PAR wise... is this true ? how can this be if they are both 90 watt lights ?
If I had to guess why the xr15 has more par, its because the a360x has more power in fields we use less of beyond color accenting (green and red) and by setting our spectrums closer to the ati spectrum that simply wont allow the kessil to put out as much par as a light that focuses more on the spectrums people would use like the xr15.
Keep in mind for a tank your size for sps, its safe to say any of the higher end lights will work so pick the one that you like the most features wise and looks wise.
(PS, I hate mobius currently)

Joedubyk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from kessils to radions. I had the g4 and now 5s.. go with radions. I habe an acro dom tsnkz too

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned by others earlier, for your tank size, PAR output should be the least of your concern. Yes radion emits more PAR, but what’s the use if you don’t need all of it? Once again, AI prime HD may be a better fit for your tank.
I just set up a 60 cube, and I went with a360x. Per BRSTV investigate, the a360x emits the best-matched spectrums to the gold standard ATI T5.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overthinking overthinking ... it's 15 gallons. AI Prime HD is more than enough. Unless you are looking at future growth and expansion, then I would go with Kessil.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the replies!! Im thinking about going with the kessil ! it looks much more sleek especially for a small tank like the 15g!

OceanMinded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the replies!! Im thinking about going with the kessil ! it looks much more sleek especially for a small tank like the 15g!
That is exactly why I ended up going with the 360X in the end. Get the A-Series mounting arm and WiFi dongle and you’ll be set!

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Radions throw more PAR per watt because they are using much more efficient LEDs. They typically use Cree chips which have excellent high power performance.

Kessil dense matrix chips aren't exactly known for performance.

Kessil for the shimmer. The Radion for the par per watt and much less shimmer.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple thread here. For a waterbox 15g nano peninsula should I go with kessil a360x or radion xr15. Is the kessil a360x their latest model? I plan on having a mixed reef with more emphasis on SPS ! Thanks !
i think both are overkill for a 15gallon tank

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Radion every time for me. I ran both for 3 months on my 120 and the half with the Radion had better growth and healthier looking corals. Not to mention the failure rate on Kessil at the 2 year mark is higher than people in the industry will ever talk about.

Kessil shimmer is also super overdone and looked terrible to me. Nothing like a good halide.

Back