Kessil a360x with aquatic life T5 combo - setting suggestions

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I started my new 90gl about 7-8 months ago. It is a 4ftwide tank using the Aquatic Life T5 fixture and qty 3 of the Kessil A360x lights. I set up the Kessils using the default Tuna Blue program and think I need to create a custom program. I have a mixed reef. I noticed with the default program I am running at 50% for only about 2hrs. I was curious what others are using for program on the Kessils when supplemented with T5’s.

also.. my T5 configuration is as follows:
Qty 1 - ATI purple plus
Qty 2 - ATI Coral Plus
Qty 1 - ATI True Actinic 03

I run my T5’s from 12pm-8pm.
Default Kessil program is 12hrs - 8am - 8pm

Thanks in advance doe any recommendations

Last edited:

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I started my new 90gl about 7-8 months ago. It is a 4ftwide tank using the Aquatic Life T5 fixture and qty 3 of the Kessil A360x lights. I set up the Kessils using the default Tuna Blue program and think I need to create a custom program. I have a mixed reef. I noticed with the default program I am running at 50% for only about 2hrs. I was curious what others are using for program on the Kessils when supplemented with T5’s.

Thanks in advance doe any recommendations
I have that fixture on my 180 with the older kessil a360we. I have an acro dominant mixed reef. My six kessils max out at 65%. The default program is likely fine but you might want to tune your colors to whatever is eye pleasing for you.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that fixture on my 180 with the older kessil a360we. I have an acro dominant mixed reef. My six kessils max out at 65%. The default program is likely fine but you might want to tune your colors to whatever is eye pleasing for you.
Hello. Thanks for the response …how long do you run your Kessils at 65%?

also…do you believe that the color we choose for our eyes has any effect on growth rate of the corals?…

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kessils ramp up for about 4 hours, run at 65% for 4 hours, then ramp back down for 4. For a total of 12 hours. I run my T5’s for 7 hours in the middle. I use 2 blue plus and 2 coral plus bulbs for T5’s. I run kessil color from 0% (all blue) morning and night to 70 (more white) during the middle.

I don’t believe that the color we choose has any noticeable effect on coral growth. In fact, based on alkalinity consumption, I think the T5’s supply the major chunk of lighting requirements for coral growth. Note that my unit is only about 4-6 inches off the water as I have it in a canopy.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d first and foremost ensure your t5 combination is to your visual liking. If it’s not, change that. If you love it go with it.

I’d then use a par meter to set your peak intensity level with the kessils set to whatever your favorite visual appearance is with all running together. Once you have that intensity set, I’d just ramp them up slowly to hit a 5-6 hour peak and then ramp them back down. Kessils don’t let you do anything spectrally that would be dangerous. Your only risk is too high intensity. If there’s one glowing positive thing about them, it is that you can truly just use whatever setting you think looks best and not worry about hurting anything. Just keep your intensity levels under 350-400 par. If you’re not keeping any sps corals you can run them much lower. But I’d be wary of setting arbitrary intensity levels based on what others do. A lot can affect how much par you’re putting in the tank from height, to cooling, to water clarity. Definitely want to use a par meter to set max intensity levels

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back