Kessil A80 and AI Prime 16 HD

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kessil A80 lighting my pico and I love this light. BUT, I do notice that it doesn't make my corals pop. Even a cheap Amazon reef light set on blues can bring out a better color than the A80. Thinking about switching to the AI Prime 16 HD because of the ability to control the color. Do you guys think this light has a "better" blue spectrum than the A80?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kessil A80 lighting my pico and I love this light. BUT, I do notice that it doesn't make my corals pop. Even a cheap Amazon reef light set on blues can bring out a better color than the A80. Thinking about switching to the AI Prime 16 HD because of the ability to control the color. Do you guys think this light has a "better" blue spectrum than the A80?
Do you have the controller for the A80? I have an AI Prime on my tank and I don’t have any issues with the colors popping (though I like my tank a little on the whiter side, I’m not a fan of unnaturally blue tanks). If you don’t have the controller, that might be a cheaper solution than getting a new light. But if you do get a new light, the AI Prime would be able to grow with you should you decide to get a larger tank (the fact that you don’t need a separate controller is great, but you don’t want to constantly be changing It, find a setting/schedule you like and stick with it (use the acclimation mode)).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A80s are only 15 watts compared to 59 watts of AI prime, so roughly 4x.

Have you messed with the dial to change the spectrum? How big is that tank?

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned before, an A80 is 15W where an AI Prime is about 50-60W if you run all channels at 100%.

If you're running on the all the way blue setting (0% color on the controller), and not getting the "pop" you want, it may just not be enough light for what you're looking to do.

FWIW, we have A80s on 10 gallon tanks all over the office and they "pop" really well for our tastes.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the controller for the A80? I have an AI Prime on my tank and I don’t have any issues with the colors popping (though I like my tank a little on the whiter side, I’m not a fan of unnaturally blue tanks). If you don’t have the controller, that might be a cheaper solution than getting a new light. But if you do get a new light, the AI Prime would be able to grow with you should you decide to get a larger tank (the fact that you don’t need a separate controller is great, but you don’t want to constantly be changing It, find a setting/schedule you like and stick with it (use the acclimation mode)).

I do have the Spectral controller. Thinking of making the switch so I can set the tank to blues for a few hours in the evening to enjoy the colors more. I like the whiter color myself, but I'm cutting the white photo period down due to algae.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A80s are only 15 watts compared to 59 watts of AI prime, so roughly 4x.

Have you messed with the dial to change the spectrum? How big is that tank?

Small pico, just 4 gallons. But even with the small tank, there's still the issue with shadowing.

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small pico, just 4 gallons. But even with the small tank, there's still the issue with shadowing.
If you're concerned about shadowing, adding a second light source would be a better way to go - possibly 2 A80 units would accomplish what you're looking for.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back