Kessil Ap9x - height on IM 60gal 36"L shallow reef

Mbritt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to determine the best height for my Ap9x on a 36" shallow reef 36L x24W x16 Deep. Just softs and eventually a clam. I currently have the light mounted in the center at 12" high but i feel like the edges dont get the light they need. Also with the light at 30% intensity this seems to be the only place mushrooms like in the tank. I have watched BRS videos and a ton of YouTube but no definitive answer. I would have assumed that Kessil would have general specs here for height of light based on desired spread but i have not found these (@Kessil, thoughts). Any help here would be appreciated both with height and thoughts on intensity. Remember tank is only 16" deep. Main concern at the moment is the light spread since i can tweak the intensity.

20220108_164416.jpg 20220108_164240.jpg

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello -

For a tank of that size we suggest mounting the light anywhere from 8" to 14" above the water. As for the intensity it is ultimately dependent on what your corals are used to. If you would like to raise your intensity we suggest raising it by 5% every 1-2 weeks until you have met the intensity of which you desire. If your coral react poorly to the intensity change try increasing it by 5% every 2-3 weeks.

Best regards,
Kessil Support

Reefer_NYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i have mine about 10" above the water with a 36" footprint. im hitting at about 55% intensity at peak and light spread is good

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back