Kessil became a disco party! Apex

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read about kessils flickering on and off when below 15percent power and controlled by apex, and that isnt my issue. My kessil started flashing between deep blue and pure white. I haven't seen posts about this particular issue. Im at about 80% intensity and 13% color.

Heres a screenshot of my controls, and a video of those party animals throwing a rager.

Screenshot_20191118-195603_Apex Fusion.jpg

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry never seen or heard of a similar issue, i do get some flickering at low intensity though. Have you talked to customer relations at kessil regarding this?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically when they start flickering it's because they're getting warm. This is generally caused by a dirty heatsink that isn't able to effectively cool the array. A can of air generally isn't strong enough to keep the heatsink free of dust build-up. If it is dirty (and the unit is still under warranty), contact Kessil and see if they'll give you the OK to open the unit and give it a deep clean (I've never seen them say no). If you're positive the unit is clean, their likely isn't anything you can do. The only other suggestion I have is to disconnect the control cable to see if the problem persists with the same settings. If the condition clears, you have an issue with the control cable or the controller.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean the heatsink.

It may already be too late though. All of them I have seen like this, except for one, that was the case.

Kessil will do a replacement but for the price, you could get a new light in an other brand that will work well.

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies!

I should have stated that i did unplug the control leading to my apex, and the flickering instantly stopped. My badd.

All the same, good tips on the heat sync! I will preemptively clean that sucker all the same.

Sounds like working with neptune is my next path.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol @ party animals

Check the cable. My guess is the color channel has either buildups, or broken cable, that cause unstable connection. That's a lot easier to break than the circuit board on Apex. Also if it's the apex port broken, try it in a different port. The chance of all ports break the same way is a lot lower than the cable has problem.

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure no one brings contraband to the disco party, you know how addicting that Kalk Paste can be. Junkie fish dangit!!! Swimming in circles, having unsafe sex, crashing their hermit shells together on the roads ...

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This happened to me a few years ago and I thought it was the light too, but after Kessil replaced the light, I discovered it was either the control cable or the apex vdm port. I suspected the apex wasn't supplying the right voltage or there were too many variances in voltage that caused this to happened? I bought the spectral controller and never looked back. I also gained back my vdm port, so I could add more pumps/tunzes to program. Win, win!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other.

Back