Kessil Dongle and 2.4 ghz vs. 5 ghz workaround?

mbmiche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried setting up the Kessil App and connecting it to the wi-fi dongle last night. The Dongle turns purple when I connect it to the A360x unit, and then turns orange after a short wait. However, I can't move beyond this step.

When I scan the QR sticker, no device is found. When I try to connect through wi-fi, no device is found.

I am wondering if this is because my routers all run 5ghz (factory set), not 2.4 ghz. Could this be the source of my inability to connect to the dongle? If this is the case, is there a work-around for this issue? If that isn't the issue, than what am I missing?

I was thinking of pulling out an old router tonight and resetting it to run a 2.4 ghz signal but wanted to see what others thought before I go that route. Thanks in advance for your help!

OP
OP
mbmiche

mbmiche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be able to set up a separate SSID under 2.4ghZ
Thanks for the response.

I will likely try this tonight, but I'll need to pull out an old router and set it up for a 2.4 ghz signal. All of the wi-fi networks/router equipment that I have in my home currently runs at 5ghz (My ISP (Comcast) equipment is all preset at 5ghz and I am not able to change this. I don't currently have a 2.4ghz signal available in my home).

I don't know that this is the problem, specifically, as I can't find a signal from the dongle using any of my current home networks, so I guess I am looking for confirmation that this is my issue before I go through the work of adding a new router to my arsenal or hoping that some other person who is more computer/wi-fi savvy than me could point me in a different direction if I am missing something.

OP
OP
mbmiche

mbmiche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see the dongle SSID from your phone?
No (I don't think...). When I look for available networks in my internet settings, I see my provider's router/network, my apple time-machine's router/network, and my wi-fi printer's router/network. No Dongle.

Again, my tech saavy is a bit limited... but I believe that this is what you are asking.

wazzupmac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue when I set up a tank at work using the a360x - many devices still like to use the legacy 2.4 band. I purchased a cheap TP-Link router that I piggy back on my primary router to handle the issue. It may serve additional purposes as you add other devices to the tank or other devices in your household that use the 2.4 band.

OP
OP
mbmiche

mbmiche

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue when I set up a tank at work using the a360x - many devices still like to use the legacy 2.4 band. I purchased a cheap TP-Link router that I piggy back on my primary router to handle the issue. It may serve additional purposes as you add other devices to the tank or other devices in your household that use the 2.4 band.

Thanks. I figured that I might have to go this route--I already have a router that I can use--but I was hoping that I didn't have to go through the hassle of cleaning out its old settings and setting it up again. Guess I know what I am doing tonight.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back