Kessil H380 unwanted disco

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever taken the housing off and cleaned it? These in sumps, even exhausted ones, attract a lot of corrosive salt to themselves. The PCB does have a layer of silicone over it, but there are a lot of potential corrosion points on the board.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no proper way to do maintenance on the light without removing the housing. Heat kills LED's, and the heat sink assemblies need to be cleaned out periodically. If @Kessil deems that warranty-voiding, then you either weigh the risk of premature failure after that one year warranty expires, or that it dies before then. Leaving them operating with heat sinks caked up with fluff, or possible corrosion on the exposed electrical connections like on the PCB is just asking for a $300 paperweight.

OP
OP
porter_painter

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand where you're coming from @Kyl but this isn't a cheap light. As such I'd expect it to operate without me need to take it apart to clean it. There's no mention of doing this in the manual.

I would like to know what @Kessil have to say really.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand where you're coming from @Kyl but this isn't a cheap light. As such I'd expect it to operate without me need to take it apart to clean it. There's no mention of doing this in the manual.

I would like to know what @Kessil have to say really.

Last page of the manual does state to keep them clean and blow them out periodically. If you dont, the heatsink gets so blocked up, the only way to clean it out is to disassemble the thing. I tear mine down every six months and after 3+ years, they all still work properly. Another member contacted Kessil about tearing one down to clean and they made note of it and gave him the OK to do it without voiding the warranty (I wouldn't do it unless you contacted them).

Last edited:

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recommend cleaning out the heat sink every few months with canned air to prevent corrosive salt buildup but if this hasn't had cleaning in a while a deep clean will probably help with this problem. Email us at [email protected] and we will send you a detailed instructions on how to deep clean the light if it's outside the warranty. If it is still in warranty we could possibly replace it.

Last edited:

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They gave me the ok to open mine up. Blowing air in through the vents blew some dust into the space between the glass lens and the LED lens and there is no other way to get it out.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 27 14.2%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 50.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back