Kessil Refugium Light Kessil 150P or H380

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current LED bank isn't growing my chaeto, although it is keeping it alive. (It was a freebie so i wasnt expecting it to work great) . Im now looking for a replacement. My goal is to grow chaetomorpha and possibly red macro for my tangs.

I was looking at the Kessil KSH150P , (150 Purple) which will cost me $12 (thanks to store credit). From my research this seems to be successful for those that use this light however I couldn't find too many reviews of the light.

More importantly I couldn't find any comparisons with the H380 to see if it was worth the additional expense for the 380.

I know about the other suggestions e.g. cfl, led bulbs from lowes etc etc but i would rather go with kessil. Does anyone know if the 380 is significantly better for the refugium?
Thanks
Jason

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Kessil H150 magenta in my refugium. It's a fine light and grows Chaetomorpha like a madman, assuming sufficient nutrients are available (which is why my Chaetomorpha isn't growing ;)). The quiet, cool LED is focused which is really nice as well. The fixture has a small footprint. Those are the positives, in my opinion.

However, I can't say it does any better than a $17 home depot fixture with a daylight LED bulb. Also, this Kessil fixture is not dimmable, which would be nice. The nice thing about the home depot fixture is that it doubles as a utility light when doing sump maintenance...something that the purple LED light is not so great for.

OP
OP
Jongalt26

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i might try the home depot light, my nutrients are low (hovering at between 1 and 3 ppm for nitrates, not measurable phosphates and little algae growth in the aquarium.
Thanks for your response!
Jason

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too use the Kessil purple and love it. I actually switched from the clamp-on light and 6,500k bulb setup because I accidentally broke the other bulb. I already had the Kessil so I tried it. I personally found the Kessil grows the algae much, much better than the other light. This is my experience and it will obviously vary by system. Bottom line, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Popular Grow 138W UFO led grow light. So far so good. I've only been using it firva week. I really wish I could afford the Kessil H380. May just have to settle for the 150 instead.

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Popular Grow 138W UFO led grow light. So far so good. I've only been using it firva week. I really wish I could afford the Kessil H380. May just have to settle for the 150 instead.

I ended up getting the Kessil H80 Tuna Flora light. Its pretty sweet but I don't yet have my sump set up to see how it will grow

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Save yourself a TON of money and just grab a Osram par38 17w led growbulb instead.
Works like a charm!

LV3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Kessil H350 in magenta and that light is a work horse. Grows chaeto wildly out of control. I have to prune it every two weeks. I had the shop light with CFL bulb on the refugium and was keeping chaeto alive but the difference is night and day.

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Kessil H350 in magenta and that light is a work horse. Grows chaeto wildly out of control. I have to prune it every two weeks. I had the shop light with CFL bulb on the refugium and was keeping chaeto alive but the difference is night and day.

Back