Kessil Show Off Thread (Warning, may be picture heavy!)

Which Kessil Product Do You Use Or Have Used

• Total voters
OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't afford it either but BRS has a sale now so couldn't resist[emoji48]
Must have skipped through the thread. Lol. I've got it now and absolutely love it :)

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, was reading through them ang got to it. How high are you running it? I have 2 A360WEs over a 150 to add to it
I have the 36 inch fixture over a 40 Breeder, 8 inches off the waters surface

Dan Cyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 36 inch fixture over a 40 Breeder, 8 inches off the waters surface
Ok, thanks. Have my 360s at 8.5" now but the tank is 30" deep so I think I'm losing a lot of PAR down lower so I may lower them a little. Going to borrow a meter from a friend to make sure it's better once the t5 fixture gets here.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. Have my 360s at 8.5" now but the tank is 30" deep so I think I'm losing a lot of PAR down lower so I may lower them a little. Going to borrow a meter from a friend to make sure it's better once the t5 fixture gets here.
6 to 7 inches would probably serve you better ;)

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet. I am new to leds this time so still trying to figure it all out.
Thank you!!
No problem! Keep em dialed down low until you get your par meter ;)

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On a 30" depth, you going to need them at 5". You're going to gain about 35% PAR moving from 8.5" to 5". Is the 150g 5x2x2? There's no way to cover that with two A360WEs; three with the T5s will get you in the range though.

Dan Cyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 30" depth, you going to need them at 5". You're going to gain about 35% PAR moving from 8.5" to 5". Is the 150g 5x2x2? There's no way to cover that with two A360WEs; three with the T5s will get you in the range though.
It's 4' long x 18" wide x 30" deep. I got the 48" t5 to cover it better. I'll try your suggestion too

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 4' long x 18" wide x 30" deep. I got the 48" t5 to cover it better. I'll try your suggestion too

OK, that is typical 115g dimensions but the 30" depth is tough regardless. Definitely gotta bring the lights down to overcome the depth but the narrower width of your tank will actually help in that regard. Three of the A360Ns would actually work well on that; perhaps down the road you could swap lights with somebody and add a third if you need the additional PAR.

Last edited:

Dan Cyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, that is typical 115g dimensions but the 30" depth is tough regardless. Definitely gotta bring the lights down to overcome the depth but the narrower width of your tank will actually help in that regard. Three of the A360Ns (will work well with the width) would actually work well on that; perhaps down the road you could swap lights with somebody and add a third if you need the additional PAR.
That's a good idea. Guess I'll have to head over to the trade forum and start fishing! [emoji1]

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I had no idea of the background and support this company has.
I've always thought that there should be a company out there that can work out a program to simulate the Radium 20k halides on HQI ballast with VHO attinic combo, which is about the best sps there is. It would be wonderful to have a setting to copy this with LED.
Any company doing this?

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the closest you're going to find is Ecotech's CoralLabs AB+ and Phoenix profiles for the Radions.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question I get asked alot, is what schedule should I be running my kessil's at. While there is no one perfect schedule, i'd like everyone to share their schedule as a guide to new users or those looking to adjust their schedules.
Mine is as follows
Lights come on at 10AM at Deep Ocean Blue (0% Color) 10% Intensity
Ramp up to 11 AM Ocean Blue 3 (Approx 30% color) 20% intensity
Ramp up to 12 Noon Ocean Blue 4 (Approx 50% color) 60% intensity
Stays there until 5 pm when it starts ramping down to
7PM Ocean blue 3 (approx 30% color) 20% intensity
Then off at 8PM
Tp4ZOwMl.png
thank you for sharing!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Madweazl, the Phoenix 14k were close too. Hopefully Kessil will build a Radium / Super A profile.

I wouldn't hold my breath, their model is to provide a narrow range of adjustability so the user cant get the lights out of a range that supports coral health.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing a lot of kessil hybrids now....can you keep a successful reef system with kessil only lighting fixtures??????
Absolutely you can. There are many very successful tanks out there lit strictly by kessils or leds. Most are lps dominant or a mixed reef with a few sps. When you start getting heavy into sps shading becomes an issue. So you either have to supplement with t5s or get more kessil modules and space them close together.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing a lot of kessil hybrids now....can you keep a successful reef system with kessil only lighting fixtures??????

In my case, it was a matter of what I had to work with. My tank has a center brace so I wasnt able to effectively use three emitters. Additionally, my lights pass through the canopy and I had already cut to holes; there was no clean way to make a third hole when I transitioned to an SPS dominant display. T5s were the best solution to that problem.

I have none of these obstacles with the 150g build though I've had such good results with the current lighting on the 75g, I feel it unwise to experiment with running only Kessils (though I may go that route).

While shading is a much talked about subject, I'm not so sure of the validity at this point. I suspect that it is a contributing factor but perhaps not the causal factor.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back