Kessil with T5 or ATI Straton for 50g mixed reef?

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil A360x with 4 ATI bulbs or the ATI Straton

I have the Kessil now. I like it, but after 10 years of running T5's I kinda miss that look, specifically that there is less shading when the corals grow. Having the single source or light I am starting to see some shading issues and if everything goes to plan it will become a bigger issue soon.

So I am deciding between just adding the 4 T5 bulbs with the Aquatic Life fixture, or if I should just pick up the Straton that is 15.5"x15.5" so I keep that LED look but spread it out a bit.

Has anyone used the Straton or the Aqua Life fixture that could give feed back?

Thanks!

Tank is a 50g mixed reef with SPS on top and some LPS on the sand.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil A360x with 4 ATI bulbs or the ATI Straton

I have the Kessil now. I like it, but after 10 years of running T5's I kinda miss that look, specifically that there is less shading when the corals grow. Having the single source or light I am starting to see some shading issues and if everything goes to plan it will become a bigger issue soon.

So I am deciding between just adding the 4 T5 bulbs with the Aquatic Life fixture, or if I should just pick up the Straton that is 15.5"x15.5" so I keep that LED look but spread it out a bit.

Has anyone used the Straton or the Aqua Life fixture that could give feed back?

Thanks!

Tank is a 50g mixed reef with SPS on top and some LPS on the sand.
I’ve been using the aquatic life with kessils for a couple of years now. It’s great. Never heard of the other.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will have better coverage with the t5 hybrid, though the literature on the straton is promising. The hybrid is just flat out larger. Provides light over a larger footprint

U

User1

View Badges
Coverage it just depends. 50 gallons but what size? The a360x offers some interesting mounting options with limited wasted spread. You can mount closer to the surface, higher, or higher with a 90 degree lens. I won't go into the shimmer but one thing I like about them is that they offer contrast to the tank. Hard to explain but people will say shadows but that really isn't it. Scuba divers sort of get this as you do dives throughout the day (morning, afternoon, to evening). Shadows or contrast are a big part of a reefs natural look vs. that of a box of light. Note: it is a personal preference thing.

T5's are known and grow corals. Even spread. Mix that in with a Kessil and many say that is the perfect paring. Much like a nice filet with an aged bottle of fine wine.

ATI straton - if you haven't seen the thread below may be worth your trouble. Spread. Light. Life expectancy. ATI did their homework and very well may put the T5's out of business here shortly.

Philips coral care gen 2 is another flat panel design similar to ATI straton but different approach with default spectrum being more natural daylight.

Regardless of what you are after the lights you noted will grow corals. I sort of look at mounting options, coverage, growth, cable management, and cost vs. life expectancy as I review new lights. Right now I would say ATI and Philips are the two front runners for me. I love kessils and looking forward to their next design. Will be interesting to see if they go panel or say with their spherical design.

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coverage it just depends. 50 gallons but what size? The a360x offers some interesting mounting options with limited wasted spread. You can mount closer to the surface, higher, or higher with a 90 degree lens. I won't go into the shimmer but one thing I like about them is that they offer contrast to the tank. Hard to explain but people will say shadows but that really isn't it. Scuba divers sort of get this as you do dives throughout the day (morning, afternoon, to evening). Shadows or contrast are a big part of a reefs natural look vs. that of a box of light. Note: it is a personal preference thing.

T5's are known and grow corals. Even spread. Mix that in with a Kessil and many say that is the perfect paring. Much like a nice filet with an aged bottle of fine wine.

ATI straton - if you haven't seen the thread below may be worth your trouble. Spread. Light. Life expectancy. ATI did their homework and very well may put the T5's out of business here shortly.

Philips coral care gen 2 is another flat panel design similar to ATI straton but different approach with default spectrum being more natural daylight.

Regardless of what you are after the lights you noted will grow corals. I sort of look at mounting options, coverage, growth, cable management, and cost vs. life expectancy as I review new lights. Right now I would say ATI and Philips are the two front runners for me. I love kessils and looking forward to their next design. Will be interesting to see if they go panel or say with their spherical design.

Currently I have a 50G cube 24x24x20. I run the A360X with the narrow lens about 10" above the tank. I am a diver so I do understand what you mean by the shadow contrast look that you get with a narrow light beam.

Adding the T5's would be the cheapest option for me, since I already have the Kessil, but I am not sure it is the best option.

I don't care to much what it looks like above the tank. Worst case I will make a canopy. I am a pretty descent wood worker and built my stand so I am sure I can come up with something very stylish there. My main concern is how the coral in the tank looks and grows.

At this point I can't find many besides the thread above that have actual experience with the ATI LED fixture. I ran their 6 bulb over my 120 and learned from that experience as well as a few of my reefing friends that they do make amazing lights.

I am just torn on what is actually going to be better for the tank, or if the difference once we get to this point is negligible.

I would like to fix some of the shadow issued so I can let colonies get a bit bigger before trimming. Using the Kessil as a single light source does limit your aqua scaping in a sense, but that contrast is realistic looking.

I just don't know for sure what to do.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a 50G cube 24x24x20. I run the A360X with the narrow lens about 10" above the tank. I am a diver so I do understand what you mean by the shadow contrast look that you get with a narrow light beam.

Adding the T5's would be the cheapest option for me, since I already have the Kessil, but I am not sure it is the best option.

I don't care to much what it looks like above the tank. Worst case I will make a canopy. I am a pretty descent wood worker and built my stand so I am sure I can come up with something very stylish there. My main concern is how the coral in the tank looks and grows.

At this point I can't find many besides the thread above that have actual experience with the ATI LED fixture. I ran their 6 bulb over my 120 and learned from that experience as well as a few of my reefing friends that they do make amazing lights.

I am just torn on what is actually going to be better for the tank, or if the difference once we get to this point is negligible.

I would like to fix some of the shadow issued so I can let colonies get a bit bigger before trimming. Using the Kessil as a single light source does limit your aqua scaping in a sense, but that contrast is realistic looking.

I just don't know for sure what to do.
We simply have great options now. ExpensIve, but great. It’s funny how my kessil t5 combo was cutting edge 3 years ago but almost old school now. I don’t think you can go wrong. Good luck.

techdef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I just changed from Kessil to Straton and am super impressed. Rented the PAR meter to dial them in. Straton on the Fluorescent preset has great color and about matched with the Kessil 360 for PAR. Straton on SPS Plakativ preset is almost double the PAR.

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment on either one of those hybrid units but I have a 60 cube that is lit by a pair of Kessil 160we's and 4 T% tubes and love how the t5's blanket the tank and tone down the Kessil shimmer just a bit.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back