keywestreefer's Waterbox 130.4 Ultimate Dream Build

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking forward to embarking on my ultimate 130.4 dream build. After hours and hours and... hours... of research I have hand-picked some quality equipment for an SPS primarily dominate mixed reef tank. The tank is set to arrive around the end of the month. I was originally going with the 100.3 but after much begging and pleading the wife agreed to let me upgrade to the 130.4. Waterbox was backlogged on orders for the 100.3 and the 130.4 but luckily the fella’s at Blue Seas Aquariums in South FL had one in stock, AND, they are delivering it. WOOOOHOOO

I have already learned so much and I am quite excited to begin this journey. I think the wife is excited to pick out some corals and enjoy its beauty. And when she asks about cost, I will kindly reference her to the Top Fin starter kit and just tell her I have the magic touch.

Please feel free to ask questions and leave comments. Will be happy to share thoughts and processes as we go along. I will be updating this main post as equipment arrives and things are updated.

Follow this build on Instagram #keywestreefer @keywestreefer

Equipment List
Tank-
Waterbox Reef 130.4
Lighting- (2) Radion XR30 G4
Protein Skimmer- Reef Octopus Regal 200 SSS
ATO- Tunze Osmolator
Heater- Finex 300 for Primary & Finex 150 for backup
UV- Aqua Ultraviolet 25W
Controller- APEX Neptune
Apex Add On's-
Automatic Feeder- Neptune AFS
Leak Detection- Neptune LDK
Flow Monitor- Neptune FMK
Magnetic Probe Rack
1 Link Cable
WXM Module
Dosing System- Neptune DOS
Dosing Container- BSA Simplicity
Dosing Container Float Switch
Water Analyzer- Neptune Triton
Powerheads- 2 MP40's
RODI Unit- AquaFX 6 stage
Media Reactor- Lifegard Turbo- Medium
Return Pump- Cor-20
Roller Filter- Klir DI-4 Drop in system
Salt Mixing Station-
Salt- Tropic Marin Pro Reef
Container- Brute 40g with Lid and Dolly
Powerhead- Sicce Voyager 3
Pump for filling tank with mixed water- Sicce Syncra Silent
Manual Refractometer- LED from BRS
Digital Refractometer- Milwaukee
Sand- CaribSea Special Grade (120 lbs)
Rock- Marco Rock, mixture of Foundation, Shelf and Reefsaver
Coral QT-
25 Nuvo Fusion
Heater- Finex 150
Powerhead- MP10W QD
Light- XR15 G4
Fish QT-
25 Nuvo Fusion
Heater- Finex 150
Powerhead- MP10W QD
Light- XR15 G4
Husbandry-
Cleaning Magnet- Hammerhead Plus
Ammonia Alert- Seachem
Red Sea Marine Test Kit
Hanna Phosphate Checker
Salifert Magnesium Test
Salifert Calcium Test
Hanna KH Checker
Coral Care-
Frag Rack- Ocean Box Designs
Plumbing- Will convert Metric to standard and going with a black and red design with some in cabinet led’s for lighting.

Sub Build Threads- Cycle Experiment

Last edited:

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a few thoughts I have.
Biggest tank of them all would be my choice.
Room darkening blinds to block light.
Might be a hold up on tank without the lights. If the lights are any cheaper than I would just add them in

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. If necessary I will just put up a blackout on the back side of the blinds that are currently there. I will not be able to install anything outside of that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't believe it!!! Shout out to Blue Seas Aquariums for assisting with the communication with @Waterbox Aquariums! It should be here by the end of next month but hoping and praying it comes sooner. On to put together my supplies list which I will post (hopefully tonight) for recommendations, guidance, and y'alls ruthless torture when I make the wrong decision HAHAHA.

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All equipment has been chosen- for now- working on gathering best pricing and will start ordering throughout the week. Anyone with a discount code that wants to share, I would be HAPPY to accept hahaha.

Off to begin my research on fish/coral selection and stocking requirements. Will develop a plan and then select foods and other dosing items to add to the list based on what ends up in the tank.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite the list of equipment. Only thing I would change is the size of the brute. I would not go larger than the 44g as the dolly will not hold the weight of a full 50g. It barely handles the weight of the 44g. I learned this lesson the hard way when the wheels on the dolly gave out under the weight. Now I only use the 33g Brutes and I have the Waterbox 230.6.

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite the list of equipment. Only thing I would change is the size of the brute. I would not go larger than the 44g as the dolly will not hold the weight of a full 50g. It barely handles the weight of the 44g. I learned this lesson the hard way when the wheels on the dolly gave out under the weight. Now I only use the 33g Brutes and I have the Waterbox 230.6.

Very valid point. As I am in an apartment I will be making water in the kitchen Or bathroom so the transportation is key. I was never planning on filling more than 30 gallons in the big can at a time to not have to worry about sloshing during transport but think I will go with the 40 to make it more manageable and still only do 30 gal at a time.

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided today, while I am awaiting for the 130.4 to arrive I will get a QT setup for the first round of fish and frags. I am going to do a 10 gallon for frags and a 20 gallon for fish. I plan to keep them setup and available as I will be looking to always have a fish in QT for at least the immediate future. (still working on a stocking plan). Any recommendations for a light for the frag QA and powerhead for both?

Last edited:

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided today, while I am awaiting for the 100.3 to arrive I will get a QT setup for the first round of fish and frags. I am going to do a 10 gallon for frags and a 20 gallon for fish. I plan to keep them setup and available as I will be looking to always have a fish in QT for at least the immediate future. (still working on a stocking plan). Any recommendations for a light for the frag QA and powerhead for both?
I'd say look into an AI Prime HD for the 10 gallon, for that size of a tank, the AI Prime will do anything, SPS included. If you are thinking SPS for flow I'd go wtih MP10.

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok- so here we go. Today was a big day. Made a few changes to the build out and equipment updated above. Also placed the massive equipment order I have been compiling. @Blue Seas Aquariums (See comment above) has really outdone themselves. I am a firm believer in giving credit where credit is due. Rami, the owner, has been nothing but patient with ALL of my endless questions as I make this build. Being in Key West, my LFS doesn't exist. The closest LFS is in South Miami. I reached out to several, and not one of them gave me the time of day... maybe they didn't think I was serious when I said I want to do this, and I want to do it right and make it EPIC. From the first interaction with Rami, it was nothing but positive. He ordered the Waterbox Reef 100.3 for me directly. He also matched or beat any and all online pricing for my entire build. The good news is, they carry livestock as well and it's only about a 3 hour drive. We occasionally have to go to Miami to shop and for a Dr. or two so I will be picking most of this up from his shop, but he offered to ship everything if needed. What I am trying to say here is Rami is awesome, and anyone in South FLA looking for a good shop with dedicated team and service should go see Blue Seas Aquariums.

*** Other changes that were made from the original plan.
Salt was changed
RODI was changed

Starting next month I am going to do equipment highlights on YouTube and Instagram.

Off to plan out the electronics cabinet setup!!! It is coming together.

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Waterbox will be arriving with a majority of the equipment from @Blue Seas Aquariums on Thursday. Went ahead and update the build list above. Taking inspiration from several reefers here and decided to go with a metric to standard plumbing with a red and black theme. I will be providing lots and lots of pictures as I move through the build stage. Couple of other changes from the original plan.

Live Rock- Not going to do it. I don't want to take the risk of pests and those "bad" hitchhikers, so will be going with Marco Rock. Mixture of foundation, shelf, and Reef Saver. Also with the bigger tank upgraded a few things like heaters and the skimmer.

QT Tanks are WAY overkill, but I figured if I had them setup this way, I can keep them cycled and if I decided to do a specialized tank of some-kind I will have most of the equipment.

Things are starting to open back up here in Key West and we expect to be busier than ever in 3 weeks. I will do my best to get through this build pretty quickly, but am going to take my time and do it right the first go around. I am sure there will be future changes and mods, but for now, the plan is coming together.

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice here- I will be quarantining fish for probably around 60 days and coral closer to 80... I will not have any media or cycled water from a display tank to add to my QT setup. Here is where the question comes in. Will I need to cycle the QT same as the display tank? I’m thinking 6-8 weeks for display. Ideally would like to have the first batch of coral and fish though QT once the display tank has finished its cycle. I will be treating fish with copper so the use of any type of live rock or other methods may be out of the question. Not really looking for a “quick fix” so much as ensure I am doing it correctly to protect the integrity and Health of my display tank. Any one with any pointers feel free to post here or drop me a message.
Thanks!

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes
Need some advice here- I will be quarantining fish for probably around 60 days and coral closer to 80... I will not have any media or cycled water from a display tank to add to my QT setup. Here is where the question comes in. Will I need to cycle the QT same as the display tank? I’m thinking 6-8 weeks for display. Ideally would like to have the first batch of coral and fish though QT once the display tank has finished its cycle. I will be treating fish with copper so the use of any type of live rock or other methods may be out of the question. Not really looking for a “quick fix” so much as ensure I am doing it correctly to protect the integrity and Health of my display tank. Any one with any pointers feel free to post here or drop me a message.
Thanks!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back