keywestreefer's Waterbox 130.4 Ultimate Dream Build

bigdog7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you and me are mimicking this reef!!! I am still waiting for the tank..... but have everything else!!! I wanted to start on the controller board this weekend. It not sure what size will fit??? I am planning to hard plumb it all and where i am getting hung up is with my UV, I am not
Sure to have it dump back into the return section of the sump after coming off the manafold..... wondering if i can plum it back into the top of the return line with a T?

No need to say sorry! Found what I needed with the information. Everything is good. And thanks for the plumbing pic! I can see all the details with that. ;)
still Curious about your controller board as well. I see the metal release lock in the upper left, do you have to angle the board to get it past the hinges. It looks like to took advantage of as much space from side to side as you could. I have taped off a measured amount that will allow for hinge clearance with the doors still on but I’m thinking of going more your direction since I will not be going behind regularly. As you can see 2 inches wider could help my situation drastically. I still have my vector pump controller and my ATO to fit. I’ll probably rearrange with the power bar up top like yours.

65D44408-0885-4EF6-8BB0-B0C1948AA826.jpeg

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you and me are mimicking this reef!!! I am still waiting for the tank..... but have everything else!!! I wanted to start on the controller board this weekend. It not sure what size will fit??? I am planning to hard plumb it all and where i am getting hung up is with my UV, I am not
Sure to have it dump back into the return section of the sump after coming off the manafold..... wondering if i can plum it back into the top of the return line with a T?
Great work will always be mimicked! :)
If I understand your thought correctly I would say make sure you have your return go back into the sump. Otherwise it will pressure both sides of the UV. Might be better if you draw it out.

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to say sorry! Found what I needed with the information. Everything is good. And thanks for the plumbing pic! I can see all the details with that. ;)
still Curious about your controller board as well. I see the metal release lock in the upper left, do you have to angle the board to get it past the hinges. It looks like to took advantage of as much space from side to side as you could. I have taped off a measured amount that will allow for hinge clearance with the doors still on but I’m thinking of going more your direction since I will not be going behind regularly. As you can see 2 inches wider could help my situation drastically. I still have my vector pump controller and my ATO to fit. I’ll probably rearrange with the power bar up top like yours.

65D44408-0885-4EF6-8BB0-B0C1948AA826.jpeg
Let me know if this helps.
Great start you have going on there.

Attachments

• IMG_1945.MOV
    71.2 MB
OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a closed loop system on my uv. It’s powered by a cor 15. I have the water coming from the skimmer chamber and being returned into the return chamber. If you want to run it off the manifold you could pull it from the manifold and return it into the top of the return. Closed loop was better for me to ensure I wasn’t restring flow to the display and dial in the UV more precisely.

bigdog7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link is not working.... so if I read the post below correctly.... I can pull the water from the return pump Manafold and then dump the water back in the return pump area? So no real way to feed it back into the Manafold to make it a float loop.... sorry for the questions! I got everything but the tank! So been drawing on scrap paper and scouring the internet to learn as much as possible.... I have had a 32 biocube for 10 years that is on auto pilot.... all I do is change the water every 2 weeks..... so I love the mechanical challenge of the new tank!!!

Let me know if this helps.
Great start you have going on there.

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link is not working.... so if I read the post below correctly.... I can pull the water from the return pump Manafold and then dump the water back in the return pump area? So no real way to feed it back into the Manafold to make it a float loop.... sorry for the questions! I got everything but the tank! So been drawing on scrap paper and scouring the internet to learn as much as possible.... I have had a 32 biocube for 10 years that is on auto pilot.... all I do is change the water every 2 weeks..... so I love the mechanical challenge of the new tank!!!
Up loading the video to YouTube, stand by-

I would not pull the water from the return manifold and dump it back into the return chamber. You are then just re-sterilizing mostly the same water. I am not a professional by any means but make sense in my head. I have a separate closed loop system where I have a second return pump plumbed to my UV. I remove the water from the skimmer chamber and the outlet is in the return chamber.

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the video of the control board.

Ignore the dog LOL

I don’t mind removing the door when accessing the back panel as well if it gets me more room on the controller board. Leaving the space at the top is a very good idea, not just for wiring but also air flow.

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received a 6 Line Wrasse and a second clown to head into QT. Both had a good breakfast and are all getting along. My larger clown already in QT made his dominance known but after a few 2 min of pecking they are all getting along great and the 6 Line came out for a visit today instead of hiding. On the display, still cycling, my ORP has begun to rise dramatically. The tank has not shown ammonia since around 7/9 so I stopped testing for Ammonia. Given the ORP rise, I will water test today to see if there is a new ammonia source or if the temp dropping .5-1 degree played a factor. The only thing in the tank now is some Pods I received and a little phytoplankton I have been feeding the pods.

Still stuggling to get the PH up to 8. I have tried windows, doors, fresh air, increased flow, fan on... Striking out on options here LOL.
24D108B6-B8DB-4D85-9902-AD0E7EDA82FC.JPG
IMG_1959.PNG
IMG_1960.PNG

bigdog7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your QT tank? Is Qt 100 percent necessary? I was planning on selling my biocube 29 but do I need it for qt? Could i just do a hang on filter on a 10g for qt?

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your QT tank? Is Qt 100 percent necessary? I was planning on selling my biocube 29 but do I need it for qt? Could i just do a hang on filter on a 10g for qt?
I currently have 2 IM 25 Lagoons. One for fish, one for Coral. They say pets in a display tank are inevitable, however, I plan to QT everything and will prophylactically treat all fish and dip all coral. I will probably do a second dip of coral from the QT to the display as well. Coral are going to be held for 80 days in QT and fish will probably be about 45 days. If it was me, I would hold onto the bio cube for QT as an All-In-One seems like a more viable soltion for long term setup. My other plan is, once I am done with stocking on my display, I will turn my fish QT into a seawater only local tank where everything will be stocked locally and water changes done with local sea water of the front deck. We will see how that goes.

Could you do a 10 with a HOB filter?? Ultimately, yes... I am not a fan of water changes every 3-5 days so that is why I went with a bit bigger system and the AIO tank. I will do water change weekly or every other week.

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some kind of Algae Attack in the frag QT, posted another thread to help ID. Feel free to help if you can :).

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little evening update- still not sure what the algae outbreak is but just going with it for now. Today I received The Shu from Octo Aquatics that was done as last months giveaway on R2R. Here’s some photos of a few corals and The Shu :).
7033D9FF-5C91-4C03-A37E-BE57956BAD84.jpeg
8760BE10-80BA-4B90-A018-3BFEC19C9440.jpeg
C049DE71-39E0-483E-8D6B-96F083B2F29C.jpeg

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...it’s been a busy weekend. Promise to post an update soon but here is a sneak peek...

3030D41D-D815-4CF3-BAFA-0FFFD3D65461.jpeg
F4739230-ECE7-407E-A432-3233C7708A7C.jpeg
9A1A1C8F-02BF-4547-A6B0-DD3BD50700DA.jpeg
451AEC7E-B170-4F66-B01A-1F2CFD242956.jpeg
A34646D6-0257-4241-9791-3E42B6EB2573.jpeg
104D58E1-B3F6-4CE5-8074-AA8A24A67066.jpeg
B8F5AD1C-44C7-4779-B5E8-25C636E1946B.jpeg
DD4522A0-175C-4313-9A81-B31621446FA8.jpeg
1D65BAA0-AB27-488E-A1F4-9CF51B0893C0.jpeg
Is that a Pentair UV sterilizer? If so, You can run it on its side like that? Im trying to figure out the configuration on my UV in my sump per hard plumbing. I have a Pentair 18w.

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a Pentair UV sterilizer? If so, You can run it on its side like that? Im trying to figure out the configuration on my UV in my sump per hard plumbing. I have a Pentair 18w.
It’s the aqua UV 25w. It can be on its side, however I would recommend finding another way to mount it as I will have to completely unhook it to change the bulb. I was so limited on space it was the best I could do without putting it outside of the cabinet, which simply was not an option for me.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the aqua UV 25w. It can be on its side, however I would recommend finding another way to mount it as I will have to completely unhook it to change the bulb. I was so limited on space it was the best I could do without putting it outside of the cabinet, which simply was not an option for me.
That is exactly my struggle. I dont want to have to hang my pentair on its side due to possible air bubbles and then have to remove the entire unit for the bulb change granted its only once a year. Do you have it on one return pump or its own pump?

Last edited:
OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is exactly my struggle. I dont want to have to hang my pentair on its side due to possible air bubbles and then have to remove the entire unit for the bulb change granted its only once a year. Do you have it on one return pump or its own pump?
I have it powered by a COR 15, not concerned about air bubbles moving 350 GPH through it. The only thing I feel I did “wrong” here was having it to where I couldn’t change the bulb.

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it powered by a COR 15, not concerned about air bubbles moving 350 GPH through it. The only thing I feel I did “wrong” here was having it to where I couldn’t change the bulb.
Good insight- So I could mount mine on its side and not have to worry about air bubble because of the gph. Im gonna be running mine on the same return pump as my whole tank. Vectra S2. 1400 gph. I should be fine I hope- considering all of the plumbing at play just for a huge a$s UV.

OP
OP
keywestreefer

keywestreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good insight- So I could mount mine on its side and not have to worry about air bubble because of the gph. Im gonna be running mine on the same return pump as my whole tank. Vectra S2. 1400 gph. I should be fine I hope- considering all of the plumbing at play just for a huge a$s UV.
Feel free to drop me a message if you would like.
I didn’t feel my main COR 20 was enough to power the UV so I went with a closed loop system and an additional pump to better be able to control flow. Now I’m running it at 11% and getting 350 GPH so probably a bit overkill but integrates well with the APEX. If you have the 130.4 I think you 1 return pump should be ok as long as you are only running the return and UV. If adding additional to the manifold I would be concerned about the ability to generate enough flow to the tank and other items at the same time.

Back