KH Director Fluid Bottle - how to connect tubing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

Just setting up my KH Director, how have you all connected your tube to the reagent bottle or have you put it in another container? Just curious.

Maybe GHL can setup the bottle like Red Sea has with the NO3:pO4 bottles with a built in doser attachment? Be good.

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drilled a hole in the cap and put the dosing tub down to the bottom

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that if they expect us to use the bottle, which they say they do, then they should add an attachment to do just that. I actually put mine in a dosing container.

Have you had any issues? I’m assuming not. I’m about to pour all of mine in a separate container.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any issues? I’m assuming not. I’m about to pour all of mine in a separate container.
@esther I'm doing the same as the folks above and haven't had any trouble with it. On my set up, the end of the line going into the bottle I cut at an 45 degree angle. So if the line bottoms out it doesn't just get stuck to the base. The angle cut keeps it from squaring off and getting stuck to the bottom.

On a side note it looks like GHL changed the bottles to a style that has the ability just to plug right in. (well after you poke a hole in it. @Vinny@GHLUSA is my assumption correct here?

KHD-Reagent-1000ml_850x850.jpg

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
Poke a hole through the cap and drop the tube to the bottom of the bottle.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the cap looks like it has a place but doesn't.. I drilled mine snug to slide the tube to the bottom.. I too cut a 45* on both sides so it doesn't close off against the bottom or side....... after drilling for the size of the tube.. I slightly drilled a little more so its not air tight.. allow for air to enter so it doesn't cause suction..

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know why GHL just doesnt sell a cap that has a downward hose and a nipple on the top. That way you can just screw the original cap off and screw on the dosing cap every time you hook up a new bottle.

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know why GHL just doesnt sell a cap that has a downward hose and a nipple on the top. That way you can just screw the original cap off and screw on the dosing cap every time you hook up a new bottle.
some things we will never understand.. I think the Calibration 7.5dkh reference solution, I believe should come with it to further calibrate and test.... but nope.. I purchased the bottle today with shipping same price as the item lol

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some things we will never understand.. I think the Calibration 7.5dkh reference solution, I believe should come with it to further calibrate and test.... but nope.. I purchased the bottle today with shipping same price as the item lol

I don't understand it either. I guess it would be easy enough to make one from an old cap. The problem is that the plastic these things are made of will typically crack after about two years.

jpun1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
Poke a hole through the cap and drop the tube to the bottom of the bottle.
Is it possible to order the reagent tubing from GHL? I’m finding air in the tubing between between the reagent bottle and the kh director. I think it is because I have a tubing quick disconnect installed on the reagent cap. Think the deal is not air tight so some air gets sucked in.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these laboratory bottles for a lot of things. They come in a bunch of sizes. I use this small 100 ml bottle for the KH Director Reagent. I'm concerned that if you put the tube in a 500 or 1000 ml bottle and it takes a long time to go through the reagent, there will probably be some evaporation that will falsely concentrate the solution. I'd rather just refill the small 100 ml bottle frequently.

KH bottle.jpg

Last edited:

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these laboratory bottles for a lot of things. They come in a bunch of sizes. I use this small 100 ml bottle for the KH Director Reagent. I'm concerned that if you put the tube in a 500 or 1000 ml bottle and it takes a long time to go through the reagent, there will probably be some evaporation that will falsely concentrate the solution. I'd rather just refill the small 100 ml bottle frequently.

KH bottle.jpg

Egads, I would hate to have to refill that thing every 100ml. I use 1000ml bottles. The hole drilled in the cap is just slightly undersize of the tube. This allows for a tight seal and extremely little evaporation if any.
762E59A6-2ADC-48C0-9175-396D8C1EA840.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ai
Egads, I would hate to have to refill that thing every 100ml. I use 1000ml bottles. The hole drilled in the cap is just slightly undersize of the tube. This allows for a tight seal and extremely little evaporation if any.
762E59A6-2ADC-48C0-9175-396D8C1EA840.jpeg
Air has to get in to displace the fluid coming out (so it can't be perfectly air tight). If it takes months to go thru that bottle, I bet you'd be surprised to see what can evaporate. But no biggie..... just mentioning what I do.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drill a hole slightly bigger than the hose and slide it in. The plastic is pretty thin and might be able to make the hole without a drill. The caps for the 500ml and the 1000ml are the same as well. So when time to change bottles just unscrew and swap out bottles. They don’t put a fitting on the cap because that is an unnecessary connection that could cause an air leak. They want you to use only a single segment of tube so as to keep chances for air in lines to minimum.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back