Killed a coral today in the worst way possible. I'm Sad :(

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a new frogspawn, it was not totally happy with the placement never really came out much just a few polyps and only about 1/4 an inch. I decided to move it and in the process of trying to get it off the rock being as gentle as I could the base shattered into 10 pieces. I'm supper bummed out as I got into this hobby because I love corals and wanted to take care of these things that nature created and humanity is doing a poor job of conserving, so for one to be destroyed by my hand is super defeating, and I keep beating myself up for it (figuratively.)

Anyone else have any similar situations you care to share so I don't feel like such an butt? or come to some understanding that these things happen in the hobby.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
had that happen with a 4 head and now its 4 colonies. Not too devastating

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shattered a head off my first torch.... half of the polyp was hanging off, I ripped it the rest of the way off, it didn't look a good idea half through the deed, had like 4 tenticles, a flap of flesh and a tiny peice of skeleton. glued it in a hole in the rock... and it grew, its a torch, has a mouth and eats!

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a qt tank that just finished cycling a week ago I put three of the pieces in there and we'll see if anything happens. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who has done this we'll see if it recovers. I'll honestly be in shock if it does, it was bad.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did the heads split or just the skeleton? things happen ,i was fragging sps late one night thought i put all away ,lifted canopy to feed fish next day found 3 frags dried up on top off tank:(accidents happen;)

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate saying it, looked like someone put a firecracker in it :( whole thing shattered into pieces about a 1/4 inch of the bottom is still in the epoxy but the flesh and a few pieces for put into the qt. It was a 15$ frag so not a loss money wise just wish I was more careful.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be harsh, this hobby is not meant for fainted hearts. Your beautiful tank will prob crash and you had no idea. People in this hobby long enough knows that it happens and just embrace it. I encountered a couple, lost almost everything and if you’re not strong enough like everything else in life, it will take over you. Bottom line, this is just a hobby and be positive.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a qt tank that just finished cycling a week ago I put three of the pieces in there and we'll see if anything happens. I feel better knowing I'm not the only one who has done this we'll see if it recovers. I'll honestly be in shock if it does, it was bad.
It was an accident, so let it go.

OP
OP
Anubisxii

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the info and thoughts, I have an SPS that's on the razors edge of life and death and with that one I'm ok and understanding, I ticked it off via lighting and swings in ALK/ph. I guess crushing a coral by hand has a lenny small feel from of mice and men to it but it's not going to stop me from moving forward and buying something to replace it. The other 7 ish corals in the tank are as happy as can be.

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had beautiful reef tank with 5 of my favorite fish. Purchased an anenome from a local contact for my black ice clown. When I purchased he said he had cut the foot of the anemone, but it would heal. The anemone look great day one after acclimation. At day 2 he moved up and over rock to back of tank— not odd for anemone a as they find their new favorite place.... day four it was oozing a string of slime out it’s mouth. Day 5 I woke up to 5 dead fish and a crashing tank. I did water changes over a week to reduce the spiked ammonia to save all my corals. I did lose some new zooanthids and mushrooms with the fish. When the seller said he cut the foot my gut was to hand it back to him, but I didn’t want to be a pain. Learn from my lesson. Be a pain. I lost these beautiful creatures and $500+. Does that help you feel better. . I am starting over now....
Midas blennie and a firefish.... here we go....

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of the insinuations of nonreefers I don't know anyone in this hobby who hates the reefs and wants to destroy them by pulling things out of the wild and killing them ;)
Yes, these things suck and yes, they do happen to all of us. For these types of coral I generally use the least amount of epoxy or glue possible, if the coral is happy and grows it will eventually need to be removed to frag. Its also a good idea to look at frag tools, some have little pry tools I also have a "save a dive" folding tool with a hook and screwdriver I use for that stuff. Even with those tools things it can still happen though some frags are just delicate. Also, if you had a one head frag even if it doesn't make it there's potentially a whole coral out there that's still alive with another dozen heads or so.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back