Killed my powder brown with a freshwater dip

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am posting this to try to figure out what I did wrong. I have ich running through my tank and in it a powder brown, foxface, couple of clowns, a Helfrich's Dartfish, and a aptasia eating file fish.
Ich has only affected the brown and the foxface. I will also add that I thought maybe there could've been flukes. After trying a bottle of reef medic with no success, things were getting bad on my brown. I decided to do a freshwater dip on both the brown and foxface. I used 0tds RODI water with seachem marine buffer. I used a api high range test kit to buffer my RODI PH to math that of the tank. I floated the water in the tank to bring to temp. I verified ph one last time. I poured half the water into another container. I netted the foxface and placed him in the water, set a time. I then netted my brown and set another time. I did both fish for exactly 5min. The faoxface scared me the most as he stiffened up immediately and did not swim once. I kept him moving throughout the dip. The brown was swimming around visibly stressed but swimming normally. After the 5 min timer I put each fish back into the tank. The foxface sat at the bottom of the tank for a min. Then started to swim. The brown swam immediately like normal, but slowly started to act drunk and swim slower, until about 2 min back into the tank he stopped swimming and laid on his side. I manually moved him back and forth in the water trying to get the remaining freshwater out of he system. He continued to breath heavily with quick respiration. After 4min back in his tank (still moving him manually back and forth) his breathing started to slow until he took his last breath. He died a little over 4:40seconds back into the tank. Fast forward 24hrs, the foxface his doing fine. I have done freshwater dips in the past with success. Never have I lost a fish to a freshwater dip. I would like some expert to weigh in and maybe shed some light on what I did wrong? Was the length of time? I just don't know what went wrong. The brown seemed healthy other than the ich. He had been showing signs of ich and as they do they would be gone a few days later, then more would appear. It was when I noticed him heavily covered, and when I noticed what I thought could've been a fluke I decided to do the dip. I would love to get some insight into my process. Thank you.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am posting this to try to figure out what I did wrong. I have ich running through my tank and in it a powder brown, foxface, couple of clowns, a Helfrich's Dartfish, and a aptasia eating file fish.
Ich has only affected the brown and the foxface. I will also add that I thought maybe there could've been flukes. After trying a bottle of reef medic with no success, things were getting bad on my brown. I decided to do a freshwater dip on both the brown and foxface. I used 0tds RODI water with seachem marine buffer. I used a api high range test kit to buffer my RODI PH to math that of the tank. I floated the water in the tank to bring to temp. I verified ph one last time. I poured half the water into another container. I netted the foxface and placed him in the water, set a time. I then netted my brown and set another time. I did both fish for exactly 5min. The faoxface scared me the most as he stiffened up immediately and did not swim once. I kept him moving throughout the dip. The brown was swimming around visibly stressed but swimming normally. After the 5 min timer I put each fish back into the tank. The foxface sat at the bottom of the tank for a min. Then started to swim. The brown swam immediately like normal, but slowly started to act drunk and swim slower, until about 2 min back into the tank he stopped swimming and laid on his side. I manually moved him back and forth in the water trying to get the remaining freshwater out of he system. He continued to breath heavily with quick respiration. After 4min back in his tank (still moving him manually back and forth) his breathing started to slow until he took his last breath. He died a little over 4:40seconds back into the tank. Fast forward 24hrs, the foxface his doing fine. I have done freshwater dips in the past with success. Never have I lost a fish to a freshwater dip. I would like some expert to weigh in and maybe shed some light on what I did wrong? Was the length of time? I just don't know what went wrong. The brown seemed healthy other than the ich. He had been showing signs of ich and as they do they would be gone a few days later, then more would appear. It was when I noticed him heavily covered, and when I noticed what I thought could've been a fluke I decided to do the dip. I would love to get some insight into my process. Thank you.
Was the dip oxygenated?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I never have in the past. I assume by oxygenated you mean with a air stone?
Just that whenever I get my RODI outside to freeze, it’s totally clear, like glass. I presume that means there’s no gas in it but I could be very wrong. I used tap water to freshwater dip.

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just that whenever I get my RODI outside to freeze, it’s totally clear, like glass. I presume that means there’s no gas in it but I could be very wrong. I used tap water to freshwater dip.
That does seem plausible, however, If that is true, I have to believe that the water would get enough o2 added by mixing in the buffer to sustain a single fish for 5min. Also, I would think that if there was a lack of o2 that as long as he was breathing when placed back into o2 rich tank water that he would've continued to regain o2 levels. No idea if that is true or not just my thoughts. Plus both fish were in the same water with no issue with the foxface.

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I do believe that the clearness when frozen is a lack of solids in the water not gases. I actually believe that I read that at one point. Now to be fair there was never a mention of o2 concentration in rodi water.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back