Killer clown or ich in my tank ?

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so Im going to try and make this short without leaving to much detail out I think I had bought a possible sick six line about a month ago with ich that I added to my tank after the six line died some of my other fish died weeks apart (watchman , cleaner wrasse )without showing signs of ich maybe a spot here or there they would be gone by the next day so coming to present most my fish have died except my two clownfish and are doing perfectly fine I added a lawnmower and next day it was dead I’ve noticed my bigger clown Reyes to be territorial to even my hermits and I’m starting to wonder if it might be my clownfish he hasn’t killed the other clown but I notice he also doesn’t let the smaller clown leave a certain area of the tank (behind my hob ) I’ve tested my water parameters and have had same good water quality results just wondering what my best bet would be should I fallow or try separating my clown ?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, you should try using periods lol. This is super hard to read.

Second, how do you know the six-line had ich? If it did have it, then your tank has it. Ich can be controlled, but it often stresses fish out, especially new additions. Also how big is the tank?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big/new is the tank? Six lines are aggressive and cleaner wrasse/watchmen are quite peaceful so that could have been the start of the issues. One thing that happens a lot in new tanks is the fish get stressed, break out in ich or the like, die, and eventually your left with only clownfish surviving since they are very hearty and able to stand up well against aggression. However this is largely due to them being the most territorial fish we keep in this hobby. They can be kept at bay because they are happy to claim territory the size of an anemone but once the other fish are gone they can and often do claim the whole tank as their territory.
I would recommend you either get the offending clown out of the tank and into a holding tank for a while or give them to a store. However the issue of possible infection means you need to decide what to do about that. The safest route is to follow a strict fallow period to make sure your tank is rid of any trace of disease.
I don't know if I'd recommend you do so as you don't know for sure what your dealing with and ich can be managed. It is your call, here is some good information on ich.
and the new fallow period for ich is 45 days if you follow these guidelines.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post your water parameters instead of just saying they are good will help. Just as much as periods will.

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Second, how do you know the six-line had ich? If it did have it, then your tank has it. Ich can be controlled, but it often stresses fish out, especially new additions. Also how big is the tank?sor
Post your water parameters instead of just saying they are good will help. Just as much as periods will.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite 0
Ph:8.2 8.3 can’t really tell but for sure between the two
Sal: 1.026
Nitrate: i usually read about 5ppm but I never trust my test and go to Lfs and they say it’s usually almost zero but no higher than that. I don’t think it would be water quality as the clowns I had have been in there since I started the tank. I did fish in cycle

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Second, how do you know the six-line had ich? If it did have it, then your tank has it. Ich can be controlled, but it often stresses fish out, especially new additions. Also how big is the tank?
I noticed a day before he passsd a white spot when he would turn to his side other than him turning I wouldn’t see it. his tail looked nipped too like if he had been subject to agression at the lfs I didnt check until I got home. The tank is a 30 that I’ve had for a couple months now. Wondering if anyone has ever tried ginger been hearing some people swear by it

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures of your fish? This sounds like Ich but it would be helpful to some pictures.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By your description and new fish dying very shortly after adding to the tank I would look at all your water params as ich is not that quick of a killer.

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 23F90DEA-A96C-434A-81B2-3231A3E9C746.jpeg
    23F90DEA-A96C-434A-81B2-3231A3E9C746.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the quality isn’t too great it does look like he has some white spot even after I separated my clown so I’m guessing it’s ich. I just don’t know how I should go about it as my clowns seem to not show any signs of ich at all. I can’t really fallow if I leave the clowns in there and I’m reluctant to invest in qt tank after reading forums. some people say they lose more fish in qt than not :/ he’s not gasping or anything like that yet so fingers crossed

OP
OP
R

rona2035

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By your description and new fish dying very shortly after adding to the tank I would look at all your water params as ich is not that quick of a killer.
I’m going to get a water test again I did my nitrate yesterday and was at 5ppm ( as usual ) but I’m going to get a second test at Lfs just to be sure but every time they tell me my params are good maybe just something a little off. but they say it it’s not something that would affect the fish for them to be stressed. Usually I don’t always trust lfs but the guy there has been in the hobby a while so I know he’s pretty knowledgeable

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's ich. This is in your Display Tank? If so do you have Coral or are you planning on getting coral?

Back