Killer coralline?

DooDeeReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I’m pretty new to reefing and looking for some help!!!
My tank has been up for about 8 months; months ago I got some Rasta zoas as my first coral in the tank. I thought it was coralline algae on the original rock and was very excited. I left it alone and now have these large patches on my turbo snails, a couple spots surrounding rocks, even a corner of a monti. Recently, it started growing between my zoa polyps. So, I did some searching on this site and read about some invasive flesh coral that literally made someone rip out their tank after having it up for years!!!! Now I’m terrified .. is this normal coralline or should I be worried, it’s hard to take a photo of it on the snails but I’ve attached a picture of the zoas. Please help, I feel silly asking but my anxiety over late night thread reading is driving me insane. Thanks in advance!!!!

0B68CB04-945B-47E9-8B25-08969F9FA8C2.jpeg

azreefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks normal to me as well. I am a little jealous actually. I've been trying everything to get coralline algae to grow in my 8-month-old tank with little to no luck. I've probably added 3 bottles of the coralline algae starter from Algae Barn, and the only coralline to speak of is what's on the shells of a few turbo snails. Nothing has "landed" on the rocks or the walls.

I started with white dry rock so I'm really eager to see that stuff colonize over. The snails are doing a good job of keeping any yellow-brown or green algae off the rocks so it's "prime real estate"!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Beautiful buildup of coraline

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good sign, your lucky.
It won’t engulf your corals, they will typically grow over it.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the corraline thrive. You'll enjoy it later.. If you're looking for a channel to get some saltwater info come check out my new video and channel maybe help ya out!

Cheers and happy reefing (OH and nice rastas)

azreefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@azreefkeeper, if your Alk, Ca, Phosphate, & Nitrate are good, check Magnesium & Potassium levels. I think low Potassium slowed my coralilne growth on my dry rock.

My Alk is slightly high- closer to 11/12 dKH
My Phosphates are barely measurable as are Nitrates
Magnesium is over 1,300
Ph...almost always runs lower than 8.1
Potassium...? Great question. No idea. I will need to get a test kit for this one!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back