Killing bryopsis on overflow

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bryopsis growing on my overflow but nowhere else in the tank and I’d like to keep it that way. It was on some rocks but I removed them from the tank so I’m trying really hard not to spread this stuff. I’m planning on a water change tomorrow and want to remove it. After I remove some water I was going to pull the algae off the overflow. Is there anything you’d recommend I do after carefully pulling it off? I was thinking about wiping it with rubbing alcohol? What do you guys think?

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fine if some gets in the water right? I think people use it in a syringe to inject into patches too?
I scrub my magnet cleaner and feeding ring with Hydrogen Peroxide every 2 weeks. Never rinsed them all give a good shake and right back into the tank. They both sit above my Zoas patch and they will shrink in for a few hours but nothing else noticeable to me. Algae kinda mushes up and becomes white and then disappears near that area.

Reefin Aint Easy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best solution that worked for me when I had bryopsis was Blue Vet Flux Rx. Took it right away in no time and hasn't been back since.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s fine if some gets in the water right? I think people use it in a syringe to inject into patches too?
I use hydrogen peroxide with a needle to eliminate Aptasia. However, I use toothbrush 95% of the time. Depending on degree of algae growth underwater, H202 need be refreshed ever few seconds with repeat scrubbing.

Some European reefers run continuous drip of hydrogen peroxide, particularly with ornamental shrimp. Medical internal use of hydrogen peroxide is a standard practice for many people, similar to apple cider vinegar taken orally.

I so much prefer spot treating the problem as opposed to treating the whole system with Fluconazole, an antifungal medicine. The micro fauna & fana are quite complex in our marine ecosystem. Not a big fan of broad spectrum chemical treatment when it comes to a mature reef aquarium.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Memisis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got rid of both bryopsis and bubble algae by squirting with boiling water.

Boil water and put it in a coffee cup. Turn off pumps. Use a long coral feeding syring or turkey baster to gently spray them. They will turn a whitefish color then the snails will hammer them.

Keep in mind that anything around the area may get hit with the boiling water so squirt slow so you get most of the heat where you want it.

Best of luck

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought but if it is up near the top you might drain the water level so that the bryopsis is out of the water. Then you can do whatever you're going to do with the bryopsis

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flux RX worked for me like a charm , disappeared and never came back again .

OP
OP
BAUCE

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought but if it is up near the top you might drain the water level so that the bryopsis is out of the water. Then you can do whatever you're going to do with the bryopsis
This is what I did. I just used a tooth brush with hydrogen peroxide. This was a week ago and so far so good.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 76.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back