Kingfish's reef in the desert build

Kingfish83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of wanting a rimless tank and little smaller then my old 110+ leer tank finally pulled the trigger. I decided to go with the Red Sea 350. Wanted to do a total restart. Sold most my coral except a few small pieces. Updated every piece of equipment too. The new tank probably be a mixed tank.

2xMP40's =way much quieter then my old versions.

2x360X. Might upgrade to a 3rd one once the tank grows in. Also first to leave MH which is so crazy how often my chiller turned. Ran the new lights for two months my old tank and the chiller never turned on.

Tunze led cheato light fits prefect in the fuge area.

Upgraded the return nozzle to a dual VCA nozzles.

Upgrading my return pump to a vectra M2 pump once they are back in stock.

Going to let the tank catch up the bio load for a few and make sure everything is good to go for coral and a few more fish.

20200531_111111.jpg 20200531_200816.jpg 20200531_200830.jpg

Scubafrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I am planning a RSR 350 build so thanks for posting.

I am wanting to start all new as well but I'm worried about transfering my four fish from my BioCube to a new aquarium all at once. I plan on letting the 350 run for awhile to establish plenty of bacteria before the transfer.

OP
OP
K

Kingfish83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the cycled first of all. You can put all four fish in. Reduce the amount you feed and slowly increase feeding to normal while watching you parameters.

For me, the new tank was going where my old tank location. I had to transfer the fish into a plastic kiddie pool and used my old live rock in the pool so I didn't have do a cycle for it. Then I waited till the new tank was ready to move in.

Looks good! I am planning a RSR 350 build so thanks for posting.

I am wanting to start all new as well but I'm worried about transfering my four fish from my BioCube to a new aquarium all at once. I plan on letting the 350 run for awhile to establish plenty of bacteria before the transfer.

OP
OP
K

Kingfish83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking about organizing the cables and the controls. I'm leaning towards not doing a control panel like most people do with their red sea tanks. In a way it takes away from the little room I would have for other equipment.

OP
OP
K

Kingfish83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since my last post I've lose my foxface to a unknown issue and my 10 year old female black/white clown due to jumping out.

Tank has a cover on it now since the netting had been out of stock everywhere.

Tank is now full stock with with additional new fish:
Black/white clown
Yellow clown
Diamond goby
3 PJs
Pearly jawfish

Might add one or two more but not sure at this time.

My vectra S2 will be here tomorrow along with a new mp40 Rf chip to make everything mobius compatible.

Next I'll soon be focus on adding new corals to get the tank fully going.

OP
OP
K

Kingfish83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far this round of a new tank has had more bumps then I had the first time in some ways.

Lost some fish I've had the longest. My 14 yr old black and white clown jumped out one night. Another from being past it life expectancy and few others due to being bullied by the coral beauty that decided to turn bully. He's now been rehomed.

Been battling a up and down fight to algea/dianos after my No3 and phosphates hit zero. Started dosing both to keep it them getting to close to zero.

For the first time I bought a UV and plumbed it in last night to keep any algae from getting out of control.

I'll do another up after a week or so.

OP
OP
K

Kingfish83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just venting...First breakout with GHA and now losing my sps frags.

Finding out that the bsr light setting for a360x with 100% Violet. i started with the bsr setting when i first got the new tank going back in April. Thought the sps was browning a littl was due to being in a different tank. Then at the same time GHA started moving in and taking over the right and left side. I have a snails, crabs, Emeral crab and a lawn mower blenny.

Parameters:
Nitrite 0
Nitrate >2ppm
Phosphate: < .075 ppm

Blaming new tank syndrome.

Waiting in line for the par meter to get an idea of lighting.

I'm in the last day for flux rx which didn't do anything.

Did a second does yesterday and wipe out a tooth brush after hand picking the gha. Then decided to just turn on the shimmer and do a 30% water change tomorrow. Then wait a week or a little more and try reef flux.

New tank syndrome blows ...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back