KingFitz' painfully sloooow 90g build

KingFitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey R2R!
I've been mostly a lurker over the past year since I got into the hobby.
I bought a 29g Oceanic BioCube off of @xoleras on July 4th, 2018. Luckily he had already started the cycle. I stopped by Ace and grabbed a few 5g pails and transported everything back to my house. Luckily, he lived close! Since then I've gone through my ups and downs. I've made a lot of mistakes, especially during the beginning! As Rags2Riches would say, #honestyinreefing. Before I found R2R I found myself doing terrible things. One horrible example is, a water change that didn't have the correct salinity. Yes, I was that guy who added salt to my return pump to "bump it up."
Once I found R2R, I found my home. Not only for friendly people I could admire from a distance, but for excellent advice! Through here I found the @Bulk Reef Supply 52 Weeks of Reefing series. As well as many other insightful posts and articles.
After I finally figured out the hobby, as much as a novice as myself can, I decided what most reefers already know. I needed a larger tank!
As a father of two young kids (2 and 5), my budget is pretty tight. My wife (boss) gives me an allowance as I call it, and that's, that. Don't get me wrong. I can buy things as I please, but she got tired of me asking for permission all the time. I figured if I got an "allowance" aka discretionary fund, then I wouldn't feel guilty for spending money on myself.

Fast forward.
We went on vacation to visit some family in Canada in June. Before we got on the plane I noticed there was an amazing deal on a complete 75g setup on the outskirts of Phoenix. I showed my wife and she gave me the go ahead once we got back (as a fathers day present). As all of you already know, by the time we got back, someone snagged it. I was disappointed, but knew something would eventually come up.
Fast forward again.
A pricier 90g system came up for sale. I wasn't hopeful, but the boss gave the okay. She told me it could be my fathers day/birthday gift all rolled into one (I was born in July). Her and the kids were still asleep and I had that bad boy in the garage. Sorry for the bad pictures, but I figured if I didn't have any, people would riot!
IMG_3087[1].JPG
IMG_3088[1].JPG
IMG_3089[1].JPG
IMG_3090[1].JPG
IMG_3091[1].JPG
IMG_3092[1].JPG

Now that the first initial pictures are out of the way. On comes the build!

As of right now, all I have are what is pictured in the tank, and what I'm currently running on my BioCube.
Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO (The pump died, but Tunze support is amazing and sent me a new one right away!)
Tunze 9001 Skimmer
I had initially created my own Chaeto reactor, but after a "father in-law" incident I took it offline.
20-30lbs of live rock that I'd like to transfer to the new build.
AI Prime HD
Dad patience (for those who are still reading)
Irrelevant, but an unused BRS fragging kit. Complete disclosure, I used the tweezers to get a plastic toy dog bone out of my daughters nose. If you'd like to see pictures let me know.

Things I need to order (which is why this is the slooooow allowance build):
I'd like to get an LED/T5 Hybrid
Skimmer
Sump. Most likely this will be DIY, unless a steal of a deal comes up locally.
Live rock/dry rock.
RO/DI system since I have Tucson water and it's terrible. As much as I'd love to continue buying water from the LFS, I really don't want to buy/haul the extra water to the tank.

Those are all of the necessities that I can think of right now. I'm sure there are many more.

What do y'all think? What else do I need? I would love any input/advice on this build since it'll most likely be awhile since it takes shape.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Hemmdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Sweet build man! I lived in Tucson for a short stent while my gf at the time, now wife, was finishing up at UofA. Good times at Frog & Fricken downtown.

What’s the back of that tank look like? Is it possible to plumb a sump?

OP
KingFitz

KingFitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Sweet build man! I lived in Tucson for a short stent while my gf at the time, now wife, was finishing up at UofA. Good times at Frog & Fricken downtown.

What’s the back of that tank look like? Is it possible to plumb a sump?
@Hemmdog I've never been to the Frog and Firkin since I moved down here in 2009. Sounds like the boss and I need to! I imagine she has, I'll have to check.

I can definitely plumb a sump! Well, I mean, I have the ability to plumb one. We'll see how it works out. I'm dying to use my @Vivid Creative Aquatics Random Flow Generator Nozzles that I won at a local meetup. I will definitely be looking for advice on how to plumb this thing once I get a sump. Here's what it looks like in the overflows:
IMG_3136[1].JPG
IMG_3137[1].JPG
IMG_3138[1].JPG
IMG_3139[1].JPG
IMG_3140[1].JPG
IMG_3141[1].JPG

Those two sets of pictures follow this: A look down the overflow. Look from the front. Look from the back.
There's gonna be a lot of cleaning up ahead for me. It'll be worth it though!

Hemmdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
@Hemmdog I've never been to the Frog and Firkin since I moved down here in 2009. Sounds like the boss and I need to! I imagine she has, I'll have to check.

I can definitely plumb a sump! Well, I mean, I have the ability to plumb one. We'll see how it works out. I'm dying to use my @Vivid Creative Aquatics Random Flow Generator Nozzles that I won at a local meetup. I will definitely be looking for advice on how to plumb this thing once I get a sump. Here's what it looks like in the overflows:
IMG_3136[1].JPG
IMG_3137[1].JPG
IMG_3138[1].JPG
IMG_3139[1].JPG
IMG_3140[1].JPG
IMG_3141[1].JPG

Those two sets of pictures follow this: A look down the overflow. Look from the front. Look from the back.
There's gonna be a lot of cleaning up ahead for me. It'll be worth it though!
Nicee, this will be a great reef for sure! I’d use both the holes as drains and plumb over the back. Quieter and more flow.

Top Shelf Aquatics

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Love it! I love the "allowance" comment! LOL! Mine is the opposite..... husband (boss) is the same way! He he. Years ago I started with the same biocube 29. 1 year later up graded to a 80 gallon. Fast forward several more years a new Red Sea Reefer 750.....that was my b day and Christmas probably for the next 5 years! LOL! I am looking forward to your build! It's going to be nice! [emoji16]

OP
KingFitz

KingFitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Love it! I love the "allowance" comment! LOL! Mine is the opposite..... husband (boss) is the same way! He he. Years ago I started with the same biocube 29. 1 year later up graded to a 80 gallon. Fast forward several more years a new Red Sea Reefer 750.....that was my b day and Christmas probably for the next 5 years! LOL! I am looking forward to your build! It's going to be nice! [emoji16]
Hahaha, thank you! I'm hoping with a larger system it'll spark more of an interest from her. If I can get her buy-in on the tank, then it'll be easy sailing from there!

Congratulations on the new tank! I agree with Hemmdog. Use both holes as drains
Thanks for the advice Crabby! That's why I love this site, and precicely why I started this build thread. If I'm going to be successful, it'll be because I follow the expert advice I've been given!

Thanks again to everyone for stopping by!

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
nice find - and congrats on the win of the Random Flow Generator Nozzles :)
I was looking over your photos and although it's hard to tell from the photo, it looks like this may not be genuine loc-line.

The easiest way to tell, is genuine Loc-Line will have the logo embossed on the side of each knuckle

1564191476610.png

If it;s not - reach out to us and we can help you get this to work. ;-)

Last edited:
OP
KingFitz

KingFitz

View Badges
Reaction score
nice find - and congrats on the win of the Random Flow Generator Nozzles :)
I was looking over your photos and although it's hard to tell from the photo, it looks like this may not be genuine loc-line.

The easiest way to tell, is genuine Loc-Line will have the logo embossed on the side of each knuckle

1564191476610.png

If it;s not - reach out to us and w can help you get this to work. ;-)
Thanks Antonio! If I run into problems I'll get shoot you a message on Facebook, or get with Rob (once he opens his new shop).

World Wide Corals - Quality Aqua-cultured Coral
OP
KingFitz

KingFitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Sooo... I bought a bunch of frags on the WWC live sale. Normally this would be a big deal. Then I thought about it, and it IS a big deal! Hahaha. I'm excited to receive them! I was able to grab my two $5 frags which is two more than I got on the last WWC live sale!

Now onto other thoughts. I've been looking at Reef Cleaners for live rock. I've been cruising Facebook and Craigslist, but there's few and far between. Anyone else have any other ideas?

I'm trying to convince my wife to go on a trip with her mom in Oct. I told her, whatever you spend on your vacation I will spend on my tank. Looks like this dream tank may be happening sooner, rather than later!

Anything equipment-wise, live/dead rock, or anything else really would be greatly appreciated!

As always, thanks for stopping by!

I'll post pictures of my "winnings" from the live sale as soon as I get them.

WhoaTangs Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Nice build! So I've noticed some of you guys have an AZ frag member tag next to your names. Is there really a frag thing in Tucson, Az? I'm in Tucson and have never heard of it, but then again I dont like social media so I dont have Facebook or any of those accounts. But if there a place where you guys get together I would appreciate to get some info. I have a 3 colonies that I want to sell or trade. Thanks in advance for any info!

OP
KingFitz

KingFitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey @WhoaTangs Clan thanks for stopping by! We don't really have a dedicated reef club in Tucson unfortunately. There is the Desert Aquarist Society that meets up at 2pm on the second Sunday of the month. It's mostly freshwater folks, but during the one meeting I attended they would like to add more saltwater folks into the mix. If you'd like to attend one of their meetings it's at the Columbus/Ecskstrom Library. The part I hate is most of the local frag scene occurs on Facebook. I think that's the only reason I have an account still.

If you have some stuff to trade/sell feel free to post one one of the local forums here on R2R. Either the Tucson one (doesn't see much foot traffic, but maybe that'll change if we get more people posting), or on the AZ FRAG one. You don't have to be an AZ FRAG member to post on there, only to attend most of the meetings and participate in the auction.

OP
KingFitz

KingFitz

View Badges
Reaction score
So I was just taking a look through here and realized I never updated with my "winnings" from the WWC Live Sale. So here goes!
I'm so bad at taking pictures so I'll start this one off with the ones WWC took:

Bam Bams
Bam Bam.jpg

Everlasting Gobstoppers
Everlasting Gobstopper Zoanthids.jpg

Jungle Juice
Jungle Juice.jpg

Utter Chaos
Utter Chaos.jpg

WWC Blue Eyed Girls
WWC Blue Eyed Girls Zoanthids.jpg

WWC Gaias
WWC Gaias Zoanthids.jpg

WWC Halle Berry's ($5 frag #1)
WWC Halle Berry Zoanthids.jpg

WWC Himalayan Pinks
WWC Himalayan Pinks Zoanthids.jpg

WWC Oxides
WWC Oxides Zoanthids.jpg

WWC Van Damme's
WWC Van Damme Zoanthids.jpg

WWC ORA Neon Birdsnest (tester SPS)
ORA Neon Birdsnest.jpg

Lime Green Ricordea ($5 frag #2)
Lime Green Ricordia.jpg

WWC Green Star Polyps (Couldn't resist hahaha)
WWC Neon Green Star Polyp.jpg

Hollywood Stunner Chalice (which I'm starting to question after I read @Hemmdog's thread.
Hollywood Stunner Chalice.jpg

Spent waaay too much, but worth it!

World Wide Corals - Quality Aqua-cultured Coral

Hemmdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So I was just taking a look through here and realized I never updated with my "winnings" from the WWC Live Sale. So here goes!
I'm so bad at taking pictures so I'll start this one off with the ones WWC took:

Bam Bams
Bam Bam.jpg

Everlasting Gobstoppers
Everlasting Gobstopper Zoanthids.jpg

Jungle Juice
Jungle Juice.jpg

Utter Chaos
Utter Chaos.jpg

WWC Blue Eyed Girls
WWC Blue Eyed Girls Zoanthids.jpg

WWC Gaias
WWC Gaias Zoanthids.jpg

WWC Halle Berry's ($5 frag #1)
WWC Halle Berry Zoanthids.jpg

WWC Himalayan Pinks
WWC Himalayan Pinks Zoanthids.jpg

WWC Oxides
WWC Oxides Zoanthids.jpg

WWC Van Damme's
WWC Van Damme Zoanthids.jpg

WWC ORA Neon Birdsnest (tester SPS)
ORA Neon Birdsnest.jpg

Lime Green Ricordea ($5 frag #2)
Lime Green Ricordia.jpg

WWC Green Star Polyps (Couldn't resist hahaha)
WWC Neon Green Star Polyp.jpg

Hollywood Stunner Chalice (which I'm starting to question after I read @Hemmdog's thread.
Hollywood Stunner Chalice.jpg

Spent waaay too much, but worth it!
Nice haul! Stunners are fine if they are getting crushed with flow, it keeps the sweepers at bay.

OP
KingFitz

KingFitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Nice haul! Stunners are fine if they are getting crushed with flow, it keeps the sweepers at bay.
Awesome, I have a powerhead pointed in that direction already to I should be good. When I transfer everything I'll make sure to give it plenty of space. "When"...

OP
KingFitz

KingFitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Coming along nicely !!
Thank you! My Biocube looks great, but I can't wait to get the 90g going. I need to clean it up still. Wife says I can't bring it in out of the garage until I do.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Have you ever had an algae outbreak so bad that you had to break the tank down and start over?

• Yes

Votes: 100 18.1%
  • No

Votes: 388 70.2%
  • Having a major outbreak right now and I'm considering it

Votes: 43 7.8%
  • I've never had algae and my name is Pinocchio

Votes: 22 4.0%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors