Kiran's Red Sea MAX S-650 mixed reef build

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd finally post a build thread since I never did for my Fluval 13.5.

I ordered almost everything except the ClearView lid (waiting for the tank to come in so I can measure where the cutouts will be). The tank might take 3-4+ weeks to get here but I should be expecting most of my gear by this Friday or the week after.

Here's the equipment:
  • Red Sea MAX S-650 (duh) - 150gal/560L
    • Includes sump - 25gal/90L
    • Includes 4x Red Sea ReefLED 90w lighting system
    • Includes Reefer Skimmer 900 protein skimmer
    • Includes main return pump + circulation pumps
    • Includes stand
  • 2x 800w Finnex Deluxe Plus Titanium heaters with sensor
  • Neptune Apex Controller System
  • ReefDose 4
  • 2x AI Nero 5
  • Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6040
  • ReefWave 25
  • ClearView Custom S-650 lid (waiting for tank to get here to take measurements of cutouts and such)
Now for the boring stuff:
  • 70 lbs dry live Marco rock (going for an HNSA scape so I think I should be good with this amount)
  • 8x shelf Marco rock
  • 5x large foundation Marco rock
  • 80 lbs Bimini Pink Arag-Alive! Live Reef Sand
  • Bunch of super glue, super glue accelerator, and epoxy putty for the HNSA work
  • ReefDose Deluxe 4-color tubing + accessories (blue-green)
  • Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt (I've heard they've been having issues with the Turkey batch recently. Kind of worried about getting a bad batch)
  • Live Rock Enhance
  • Microbacter7
  • Red Sea Reef Foundation (ca/alk/mag)
  • Red Sea Trace Colors ABCD
  • Red Sea Reef Energy Plus
  • Red Sea NO3 : PO4-X (NOPOX)
  • Hannah Testers (ULR Phosphate/HR Copper/HR Nitrate/ULR Nitrite/ULR Phosphorus)
  • 2x PolypLabs Genesis Biomedia Plates
  • 2x MarinePure Biomedia Plates (might use one for my fish QT and one for my coral QT)
Haven't decided on the stock list for fishes yet. I'm thinking I'll start with 4 smallish peaceful fish and add the more aggressive ones throughout the year once territories get established. I had some fish in mind that I'll list below but nothing is set in stone yet.
  • Mochavinci Clownfish
  • 2x Bicolor Blenny
  • Blue Mandarin
I'm gonna need some help to put together a CUC. I'm open to any suggestions as I'm not sure what would be a sufficient amount.

I've got a little work to do before the tank gets here. The tank will be in my bedroom on the wall opposite of where my bed is so I can look at the tank while laying down and falling asleep lol.
  • I was planning on repainting my bedroom and office before I even decided to get the tank (which was months ago) and I've been putting it off forever. Now that I got the tank I HAVE to get it painted before it gets here because once its here and filled I won't be able to move it again. I also don't want to risk getting paint on my brand new tank.
  • I had a electrician come by and check out my breaker and outlets to make sure it can handle my tanks demands and he said I was solid on that front.
  • I also had a contractor come by and make sure my floor was level and on a solid foundation. I got lucky because my room used to be our houses massive detached garage, which had a concrete floor, that we converted into 2 guest rooms (my bedroom and office) that my parents gave me. Long story short it has a concrete foundation that my dad used to park his trucks on so it will definitely be stable and solid.
  • All that's left to do is tend to my corals in my Fluval and make sure they're happy and ready for the transfer to the new DT when the time comes.
This is going to be a intentionally slow process. I learned the hard way about being hasty with my Fluval so everything will be QT'd for 75 days minimum before going into the tank. Livestock will slowly go in once I'm confident the tank is nice and cycled.

Let me know what you guys think. I'll start posting pictures as the equipment slowly starts getting delivered. ;Woot

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it!

I actually did have a question. How is the sump and skimmer? I've heard the sump is kind of small and that the protein skimmer is extremely difficult to try to clean.
The sumps ok (but you may have a new version) and I use a NYOS 160 having replaced the original C Skim years ago

Its a newer version with different skimmer so I would see how you get on before changing anything

Well I would actually replace the rear circulation pumps straight away for 2 MP40’s but that because I hated them especially cleaning! Lol

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sumps ok (but you may have a new version) and I use a NYOS 160 having replaced the original C Skim years ago

Its a newer version with different skimmer so I would see how you get on before changing anything

Well I would actually replace the rear circulation pumps straight away for 2 MP40’s but that because I hated them especially cleaning! Lol
I have a couple extra cheap powerheads. They put out a little above 300 gph. Will those 2 be enough?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple extra cheap powerheads. They put out a little above 300 gph. Will those 2 be enough?
I’d see how you get on with the standard ones first. You don’t need anymore flow than the factory fitted ones provide

Ignore me, I just hated cleaning them and clambering all over the tank on steps and tangled wires to get them out! Lol

If like me, wait until one stops and then clean them, then decide……. I used to never turn them off in case they wouldn’t start back up!

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d see how you get on with the standard ones first. You don’t need anymore flow than the factory fitted ones provide

Ignore me, I just hated cleaning them and clambering all over the tank on steps and tangled wires to get them out! Lol

If like me, wait until one stops and then clean them, then decide……. I used to never turn them off in case they wouldn’t start back up!
How is this for the rear?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this for the rear?

The tanks new, and if it is it should come with all the equipment you listed above, so you won’t need to buy anything else at this stage.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks new, and if it is it should come with all the equipment you listed above, so you won’t need to buy anything else at this stage.
Gotcha. Thanks!

I have these for flow:
2x Nero 5
ReefWave 25
Tunze Nanostream 6040
and those 2 powerheads I mentioned

How does that look as far as powerheads and such go?

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Thanks!

I have these for flow:
2x Nero 5
ReefWave 25
Tunze Nanostream 6040
and those 2 powerheads I mentioned

How does that look as far as powerheads and such go?
You won’t need any of them, you have 4 circulation pumps located in the rear chamber, with outlets into the display tank, they provide more than enough flow for the system including SPS. That’s why their there.

So if you can it might be worth returning them, BUT, it’s your tank so you set it up however you want, but honestly you don’t need any of that.

And you won’t need these for many month’s and you definitely don’t need the Hanna copper/nitrite - unless your having issues - I’ve never even tested for those,
  • Hannah Testers (HR Copper ULR Nitrite
The best tip, and piece of equipment to get is rowaphos and a reactor for it, and run it from day 1. It will prevent many of the problems we constantly read of, and it will also help you skip/speed up the ugly stage

In addition to my S650 I also have another system, a little bigger, set up from scratch and my build thread is below how I did it and I tried to document how and why I did it the way I did to try and help others.

PS we need pictures! Lol

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t need any of them, you have 4 circulation pumps located in the rear chamber, with outlets into the display tank, they provide more than enough flow for the system including SPS. That’s why their there.

So if you can it might be worth returning them, BUT, it’s your tank so you set it up however you want, but honestly you don’t need any of that.

And you won’t need these for many month’s and you definitely don’t need the Hanna copper/nitrite - unless your having issues - I’ve never even tested for those,
  • Hannah Testers (HR Copper ULR Nitrite
The best tip, and piece of equipment to get is rowaphos and a reactor for it, and run it from day 1. It will prevent many of the problems we constantly read of, and it will also help you skip/speed up the ugly stage

In addition to my S650 I also have another system, a little bigger, set up from scratch and my build thread is below how I did it and I tried to document how and why I did it the way I did to try and help others.

PS we need pictures! Lol
Ah ok I think I'll test out the flow with the stock pumps, and if they work out I'll send them back to BRS. That would save me a pretty penny.

I got the copper test for my QT tank.

I'll post pictures soon! Still waiting for everything to arrive.

Thank you for the help!

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little bit of an update with the tank order.

I contacted BRS about when it will be shipped so I had a better idea of the time-frame I had and what I could get ready before it gets here. They said it might ship out this week but if it doesn't it will definitely go out next week. Since the tank is so large and heavy the shipping might take a week or 2 more depending on weather and other external factors that may be out of the drivers control.

But yeah that's where we're at right now. Still waiting for my equipment to start getting here. I'm hoping the Marco rock gets here by this week so I can start my aquascape and get it in a tub for curing.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It finally shipped!

A2450F0F-B019-4348-8D89-D598C09B5777.jpeg

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of an update but thought I'd post anyway. The delivery date for my tank is supposed to be somewhere between the 13th and 19th. I thought I would have received the first of my BRS order last week but with the holidays and such I figured it would be this week at the latest and I was right. I get the first half of my build equipment this Tuesday.

I also got my 40gal QT/observation tank ready to go so I can start getting some fish and getting them through the QT process so they can be ready by the time my tank is done cycling. In addition to that I setup a small 20gal hospital tank to treat the fish in. Thinking about getting a second 40gal to use as a second observation tank once the fish leaves the hospital tank.

I ended up putting a PVC frame together for my aquascape. Here's some pictures of it.

The tanks going to be around the area where the TV is (obviously the TV is going to be moved) but a foot to the right.

pBH-5O_w.jpeg
UyxTsigQ.jpeg
uIsfpKOQ.jpeg

Cat for scale
nwOhHtWw.jpeg

Kind of a boring update I know, but that's my progress so far.

Also ignore my messy room. Getting ready to paint it hence the mess everywhere and the splotchy walls with the putty. :p

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back