OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a bit of an unfortunate update about my QT setup.

My main QT/observation tank sprung a massive leak so I gotta return it and get another one and get that one ready. Kind of annoying because it was almost ready for fish to be added to it for observation and this happened.

I do have a little bit of good news though! My tank might get here a week early. By this Friday or early next week. The shipping company Red Sea used got it delivered from Texas to CA within 2-3 business days. Really pleased about that.

Only thing is some of my rocks for the aquascape still isn't here yet.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just setup the delivery.

Should be receiving it tomorrow (12/8) and get the most of my gear tomorrow as well (except some of the marco rock for the aquascape).

If the rocks don't get here by this Wednesday I might just go to an LFS in the Bay Area and just pick up whatever else I need.

Pretty worried about the ReefBeat app. The majority of the recent reviews are 1-star saying the app doesn't work and some people are unable to control the spectrum of their lights with the app. Other things it has issues with is it keeps crashing, doesn't stay connected, only gives you the options to turn things on or off (as stated some people aren't able to even change the spectrum or intensity of the ReefLEDs).

Really hoping Red Sea does the right thing and gets their app updated and fixed. This system wasn't cheap and to see them skimp out on such an integral part of the system is giving me some buyers regret already.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you in the Monterey Bay area, like ‘the red triangle’ ?

I toured around there a few years ago in an RV, and down the Pacific Highway (route 1), big sur etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you in the Monterey Bay area, like ‘the red triangle’ ?

I toured around there a few years ago in an RV, and down route 1, big sur etc.
Near there. About 30 minutes away.

Surprisingly there are no decent LFS around here. I have to make the journey up to San Jose for anything I need.

That's pretty much the reason why I'm driving out of my way to get the rest of my stuff. It'll be about an 1 1/2 hours drive but it's not a big deal.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Near there. About 30 minutes away.

Surprisingly there are no decent LFS around here. I have to make the journey up to San Jose for anything I need.

That's pretty much the reason why I'm driving out of my way to get the rest of my stuff. It'll be about an 1 1/2 hours drive but it's not a big deal.
I remember asking an American guy were a particular camp site was, and his definition of just up the road turned out to be about 60 miles!! Lol

Its a beautiful area, we went out whale watching with the Monterey Bay Whale Watch Centre in 2009, at the time they were working with National Geographic and we saw killers and pups etc.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember asking an American guy were a particular camp site was, and his definition of just up the road turned out to be about 60 miles!! Lol

Its a beautiful area, we went out whale watching with the Monterey Bay Whale Watch Centre in 2009, at the time they were working with National Geographic and we saw killers and pups etc.
Yeah it's a very beautiful town. Carmel and Pebble Beach are great too. Did you have a chance to check out 17-mile-drive or the Monterey Bay Aquarium? Carmel downtown is also extremely nice with a bunch of locally owned mom and pop shops.

I head up there every other day to run errands and it's always a relaxing time.

Hopefully you got to try the clam chowder at Fishermens Wharf. It's my favorite lol.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it's a very beautiful town. Carmel and Pebble Beach are great too. Did you have a chance to check out 17-mile-drive or the Monterey Bay Aquarium? Carmel downtown is also extremely nice with a bunch of locally owned mom and pop shops.

I head up there every other day to run errands and it's always a relaxing time.

Hopefully you got to try the clam chowder at Fishermens Wharf. It's my favorite lol.
Yes we did all that, 17 mile drive at pebble beach (I play golf) and we called at the pro shop and purchased a golf jacket which I still have (somewhere!)

We did the aquarium, Carmel, and had lunch on Fisherman’s wharf when we got off the boat. I’ve got all the pictures that’s how I now the date. We stayed at Big Sur which I think is south of you on Pacific Coast Highway 1 for about 3 days, its all such a beautiful part of the world. Seal colonies……

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank just got here! Ignore the little one on top it's my 40gal QT that I was cleaning out lol.

2K_KZOUw.jpeg

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. Got the tank into my bedroom where it's going to be placed. Gonna start working on the stand and whatever else I can tomorrow before Saturday when I have a buddy coming over to help me get it level and to plumb it all up.

Had to throw like 5 blankets over it because my cats think its a giant bed I bought for them lol

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been pretty slow in terms of getting my tank setup. I wanted to get the new gate valve on but I ended up buying a coupler instead of the adapter and it ended up not fitting together. I ordered the adapters from BRS and should be here by Thursday hopefully. I don't really want to mess with the plumbing until I get the gate valve installed.

My plan is to get the power center put into the cabinet tonight, get the circulation pumps installed and work on the lighting so in the end the only things I'll have left to do is the plumbing and final touches on the stand/cabinets.

6prZC2Jw.jpeg
za4Nnk2A.jpeg

Red Sea's documentation is pretty badly put together. The main issue I've had is the order in which things are installed. Some of it makes no sense and actually makes it tougher in the end. For example one of the last things to do is install the circulation pumps in the overflow, but they tell you to do it AFTER the instructions tell you to get it positioned where you want it. Now I have to try and reach all the way back there to get the pumps in, which would have been a lot easier to do if they told you to do it before putting it on the stand.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look on the RS web site there are some very helpful videos that show you step by step how to build it up

While your building the plumbing have you considered a roller matt, Ive got an X Filter 1.0 and there‘s also the Clarisea which you might be able to get It will make your life so much easier not having to change the socks every 3-4 days.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look on the RS web site there are some very helpful videos that show you step by step how to build it up

While your building the plumbing have you considered a roller matt, Ive got an X Filter 1.0 and there‘s also the Clarisea which you might be able to get It will make your life so much easier not having to change the socks every 3-4 days.
Yeah I went to their site and the order of the instructions are pretty much the same. I'm almost done setting it up though so we're closing in on the finish line.

I was looking at the Red Sea ReefMat 1200 but they're out of stock on BRS. I'm planning on getting it asap though because I heard of how nasty it is cleaning the socks. ;Yuck

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the new sump on the Max S-650 is a bit better. I have a V1 sump in mine that doesnt even have provisions for filter socks. I just jam a 7" sock on the drain lines and it works for me

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hows it going?
Having some renovations done. Getting the tank fully assembled next Saturday and once renovations are done I can fill her up.

Not having anything done to the tank room but the contractor said just to be safe to hold off in case they need to get behind the tank to work on the wall (renovations are being done in my office next to the tank room).

But yeah everything is going good just ran into a little hiccup concerning timing.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back