Kirch’s 3xl 900

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 years ago I had this crazy idea to save for a large reef setup. This year I am taking that savings putting into action.

Starting this thread late but feel free to join in the fun.

My initial purchase:
  • Tank
  • Lights
  • Apex
  • Core-20s
  • Dry rock
  • Sand
As things arrived it was like Christmas. Let’s start with the tank fun.

The tank is huge.
1598515479733.jpeg
As I unpacked the tank I realized that the core pieces of the stand were underneath the tank in the crate. I quickly scan of the freight invoice, 1200lbs. Not understanding how Red Sea could possibly imagine Putting the tank on top of the needed stand pieces in shipping was a good idea. The tank alone weighs 900lbs. It was time to hire movers.

The plan was, movers come and lift the tank up so I can grab stand materials. The movers have minimum of 3 hours, they were going to help out with securing the tank while I assemble the stand and then move tank onto the stand. I even got out 2 saw horses for them to put the stand on while this happens. Saw horses supported 1500lbs each so no problem there.

Moving day arrived and I was so stoked to get this thing in. Movers got the tank up with some heavy equipment and I got the stand out. Instead of putting the tank on the saw horses while I build the stand, they wanted to leave it on their piano dolly. Then they left, which was not the plan. Me being the excited little kid I was just started building my stand and couldn’t be bothered with anything.
So the stand sat outside like this.

30BC5635-51B5-4B55-B039-46BA862BF16E.jpeg

Before you say “you idiot, why would you let this happen?” My wife and my 20/20 hindsight have already shamed me to oblivion.
Anyways I am happy going about my business when I hear a “bong!”. I quickly go outside but don’t actually see anything. Then about 10 minutes later I hear another louder one. I go out side and I see a crack going down the middle of the bottom glass.

F61839F9-1E0D-4AE5-A7A6-D45878E2A1CB.jpeg
Suddenly in a panic I call the movers. They come back from the beach of all things and I can see the owner is freaking out. Technically their insurance only covers $.60/lbs so that is pretty much nothing when it comes to cost of the tank. I am heart broken. As the box this thing up and haul it back to the driveway.

Movers know the worst thing is reviews saying they broke stuff and say they will work out a deal to replace tank. I reach out to Red Sea and they inform me the cost and I ordered a new tank. I am still dinged with part of the cost. Totally depressing. Movers come back and get the thing on the stand. Good to go and that is where I am at today.

E178BC00-2435-4C88-B7B4-4F8F65C3E15E.jpeg

I am ready to start this adventure.

I still have the broken stand in a crate in my driveway. I figure I will see if I can sell for $100 as a terrarium. Thing is just so heavy. Anyone have any ideas of what to do with it?

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always call the glass shops around you and see if any of them would be willing to put a new panel on? Might be a bit expensive but have a few extra tanks in storage is never a bad thing!
I have been thinking about that. This tank retails for $3800 so it is heartbreaking to see it go to waste. The issue I have is it weighs 900lbs. Very difficult to move around. I was going to post on Craigslist to see if anyone wants for a terrarium or to take on replacing glass. Still in perfect condition other then the cracked pane. It isn’t small either which I couldn’t find a place for another 79” tank in my house. I would basically give this thing away at this point.

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummmm if you wanna give it away I’ll drive to you... no joke lol. That said, come on.... you can ALWAYS find/make room for another tank!!!! You may lose a couch or two... but there’s always room!!! Hahaha.
As much as I would love to have another one, one project is enough. I was going to list it for like $300 and go from there. Are you seriously interested? I would trade for pretty much anything as well. Lol. I have it on a palette and ready to be trucked off.

I’ma tempermental coral

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As much as I would love to have another one, one project is enough. I was going to list it for like $300 and go from there. Are you seriously interested? I would trade for pretty much anything as well. Lol. I have it on a palette and ready to be trucked off.
Sending pm in the next 5! Lol

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of work over the last week or so. I have installed the sumps and installed lighting into my cabinet.also started laying out my control board.

C62F5FC2-90D5-48B5-8AE3-322A88826514.jpeg

I built my saltwater mixing station and got the plumbing done. Thanks to @SuncrestReef for posting pictures and build list for the plumbing.
image.jpg

More plumbing from mixing station to tank and then finally aquascape time!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of work over the last week or so. I have installed the sumps and installed lighting into my cabinet.also started laying out my control board.

C62F5FC2-90D5-48B5-8AE3-322A88826514.jpeg

I built my saltwater mixing station and got the plumbing done. Thanks to @SuncrestReef for posting pictures and build list for the plumbing.
image.jpg

More plumbing from mixing station to tank and then finally aquascape time!

Wow, nice work! It's crazy seeing a mirror image of my mixing station, right down to the colored PVC, RO/DI, and DOS on the wall.

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, nice work! It's crazy seeing a mirror image of my mixing station, right down to the colored PVC, RO/DI, and DOS on the wall.

To imitate someone is to pay the person a genuine compliment — often an unintended compliment.

To be honest I didn’t see your dos and some other items. I assume they are needed for a setup like this. The plumbing though is almost straight up copy. I liked the color look for fresh and salt. Thanks for posting the info. You saved me like weeks trying to figure out what I would need to do, and with the many people saying they liked your design it was a slam dunk for me.

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well started with the aquascape today. Ran through some designs on a table.... then when we created one we really liked we attempting transfer to the tank.... This was not so easy and well it morphed. Lol.

Here what it is currently in tank.
E0D81812-E489-4728-B912-89A51B25FE7A.jpeg

I am assuming there will be some changes before I secure it up and put sand in.

ID-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any updates? Doing a 900 now myself.
What are you doing for a lid if one?
What are you doing with the second sump tank?

I have my stand built (was not easy getting the parts from under the tank!) and still need to get the tank put on top of the stand. Nervous after seeing what happened to you. Was thinking of renting the suction cup handles and two piano dollies and 4-5 guys would do it. Basically only have to lift on to dollies and then roll from garage to house and then lift to stand (while praying).

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Doing a 900 now myself.
What are you doing for a lid if one?
What are you doing with the second sump tank?

I have my stand built (was not easy getting the parts from under the tank!) and still need to get the tank put on top of the stand. Nervous after seeing what happened to you. Was thinking of renting the suction cup handles and two piano dollies and 4-5 guys would do it. Basically only have to lift on to dollies and then roll from garage to house and then lift to stand (while praying).

I am done cycling and have livestock on the way.

As for the lid, Red Sea has recommended purchasing 2 of their 48" screen lids. I have purchased them, but I haven't opened them yet. I found another reefer with the same tank, and his pictures looked like they had a cool lid. I have reached out to him to see what he is using, but no response as of yet.

As for lifting the tank, Red Sea recommended to me, 6 people. Someone on all corners, and 2 in the center. My movers broke the tank while setting it on a dolly and not supporting it accross the entire thing. The second go around, they lifted with 4 guys. My recommendation, especially if you are going to us Red Sea lights and mounts, is to make sure to leave enough room behind the tank. I only left enough room to move power plugs and what not, but didn't realize I needed almost like 3" for the screws and the mounts, and now mine are not supported properly and super frustrating....lol. Mine are on, but not the way I prefer. As for the dollies, just make sure you put one on each side, not just one in the middle. When lifting the tank, just make sure they don't put the tank flat on the stand where the bulk heads touch the stand. That will crack the bottom. It has to always be set down with the bulkheads over the opening.

As for the second sump section, I currently have all my probes/heaters etc in there. I was planning on having my refuge right after filter socks, but it isn't a large amount of space. I am thinking of just making the secondary sump a large refugium. I just can't find clean Cheato anywhere right now.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how you have it setup.

OP
OP
kkircher

kkircher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Clear View for my 900 - I have one on my 250 and it is about a million times better than the Red Sea kits. Like. One. Million. Times. Better.
Awesome. Did you do a custom order for your 900 or their new ez order? I have the Red Sea light mounts and I am wondering how their generic cutouts are working or do I need to do a custom order. I see on their ez order the page the graphic shows 3 sections for the kid but the custom page says it will be two. Happen to have a picture of how your lid is setup?

thanks.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a Clear View for my 900 - I have one on my 250 and it is about a million times better than the Red Sea kits. Like. One. Million. Times. Better.
I have the DIY on my 250. Its not so good. I ordered a Clear View for my 250 about 2 months ago. Got a email saying it has been shipped. It does take a while to get btw. Anyways I was wondering about the WYSIWYG also for the 900 or should I custom order one.

Back