OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm plugging along with the tank and spacing out/planning for future stocking. I've added two Tunze Nanostream 6015s to each end of the tank (not currently running) to keep happy corals down the line. I'm still just running the single Imagitarium powerhead since I've only added a small branch of green mushroom corals, who are being super fussy.

I've got a small CUC -- 5 margarita snails, 2 ceriths, and one plucky hermit (was supposed to be 5 each, but a lot unfortunately were DOA) who I enjoy watching as much as the fish.

Additionally, I must confess that I did add a BTA, which I think might be splitting. Tank parameters have remained stable, but it's a young tank, and I know that I went against the sage wisdom of...everyone. I'm hoping it will stabilize and stay happy.

The only param that has been swinging is temperature, so I dropped a few hundred bucks on an Inkbird 306A and a couple of Cobalt Neotherms this morning (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/need-heater-recommendations-40b.857168/post-9337479). Despite having my current heater set lower than the ideal range, the tank temp keeps going above 82, and that's when the nem seems to get ticked. When the water temp is between 77-80 it is fat and happy.

My protein skimmer will be delivered today. I may also add a refugium down the line.

I'm getting my QT tank set up today, too. It's a little 10g that my son used about 10 years ago. I just sanitized the tank and scraped hard water deposits. I'm thinking of running it like a baby FOWLR and keeping it running for the foreseeable future. I know that most QT tanks are barren, save some PVC, but is there any harm in adding a piece of CaribSea Life Rock that didn't make it into my display tank? My thinking is for long-term stability/ammonia control since it won't be a setup/teardown situation. I've read about some setups where there is a single fish in the QT tank that gets added to the DT when a new fish goes into QT, and then the resident QT fish goes back into the QT when the new fish gets added to the DT. Good idea? Bad? Is it stressful for the resident fish? I'd assume there also isn't any risk of fish disease living in the rock, right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my lights this week to Maxspect RSX 150, and am starting to stock corals. My green mushrooms are still not looking great, but they didn't look good when they arrived. I've tucked them back into the lowest flow spot in the tank and am playing watch and wait. I don't know if there is a point at which they will start to turn around, but I'll keep babying them in the meanwhile.

I went ahead and ordered a HOB refugium and light, miracle mud, and some chaeto and pods, so those should be here within the week. I've also got a little skimmer running and it's doing a good job.

New heaters should be here tomorrow, and then I'm going to hook up the inkbird and redo cord management.

A pair of Banggai cardinalfish are coming tomorrow, as well as a few more CUC members, and more corals than I should have purchased (Labor Day flash sales got me good ).

By the weekend I should have everything tweaked the way I want it, and then I'll just be tending my little reef and hopefully lay off the purchasing for a bit!

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this! Welcome to R2R first off! And Welcome to Reefing!

Tank is looking great so far. Can't wait to see more pics. Did I miss the size of your tank somewhere? LOL!
Thank you kindly! It's a 40B. I just had to overhaul my aquascape again because I had to capture a pair of cardinalfish that aren't looking well and need observation and for being slow swimmers, they sure were a PITA to catch. I ended up pulling out about half of my rock. *sigh* I might like the new scape a little better, but the flow pattern changed, so I'll have to screw with that tomorrow.

BD52B0B6-7539-4CF7-BA51-FA059A1ED42E.jpeg

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you kindly! It's a 40B. I just had to overhaul my aquascape again because I had to capture a pair of cardinalfish that aren't looking well and need observation and for being slow swimmers, they sure were a PITA to catch. I ended up pulling out about half of my rock. *sigh* I might like the new scape a little better, but the flow pattern changed, so I'll have to screw with that tomorrow.

BD52B0B6-7539-4CF7-BA51-FA059A1ED42E.jpeg
I understand.....I have caught plenty of pita fish including wrasses over the years....lol......

Glad to see another female Reefer. My husband is a big help though.....he did all the electrical, technical, and heavy lifting stuff....the rest is all me! LOL!

Looking forward to seeing your new scape! Oh and saw your other post about your clowns not yet hoping in your nem. No worries give it time. I haven't kept clowns in a few years, but I never had one that didn't hop in a nem. I always have had both a carpet on one end of the tank bubble tips on the other end, and the clowns always went for the bubble tips over the carpet.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my tweaked 'scape winding down for the night. I've been light acclimating the corals on the sand bed and will be gluing over the next day or two. :)

IMG_1503.jpg

I also got my refugium set up last night, and am trying to decide if I'll run lights opposite the tank or 24/7.

IMG_1478.jpg

And a few pics of some of my pals. Taking a photo of my dottyback is like trying to get a pic of a sasquatch. Haha.

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg
IMG_1502.jpg
IMG_1483.jpg
IMG_1335.jpg

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my tweaked 'scape winding down for the night. I've been light acclimating the corals on the sand bed and will be gluing over the next day or two. :)

IMG_1503.jpg

I also got my refugium set up last night, and am trying to decide if I'll run lights opposite the tank or 24/7.

IMG_1478.jpg

And a few pics of some of my pals. Taking a photo of my dottyback is like trying to get a pic of a sasquatch. Haha.

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1488.jpg
IMG_1502.jpg
IMG_1483.jpg
IMG_1335.jpg
Love the scape and the critters!!!!

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone thinks they'll be the exception to the rule and not go through an ugly phase with their tank... This is hard to cope with!! :*(

C66694BD-768D-4B2F-A849-6A51A68AAB13.jpeg

The internet at large says to bear the discomfort of diatoms and that they'll pass. I need some reassurance!

I got the sand sifting sea star and two more alleged sand-sifting, diatom-eating snail species specifically to help with this mess, and they just aren't pulling their weight. Tell me it gets better.

Post bonus: red tuxedo urchin accosting my Duncan. Ugh.

F4A1343C-6C38-49DA-A573-AD529F38982E.jpeg

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone thinks they'll be the exception to the rule and not go through an ugly phase with their tank... This is hard to cope with!! :*(

C66694BD-768D-4B2F-A849-6A51A68AAB13.jpeg

The internet at large says to bear the discomfort of diatoms and that they'll pass. I need some reassurance!

I got the sand sifting sea star and two more alleged sand-sifting, diatom-eating snail species specifically to help with this mess, and they just aren't pulling their weight. Tell me it gets better.

Post bonus: red tuxedo urchin accosting my Duncan. Ugh.

F4A1343C-6C38-49DA-A573-AD529F38982E.jpeg
They will and do pass once silicates are consumed. If you have a gravel vac clean the sand where they’re present when you’re doing your water changes. ;)

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will and do pass once silicates are consumed. If you have a gravel vac clean the sand where they’re present when you’re doing your water changes. ;)
The water pressure in my house is *horrible* so I can't get enough suction for my gravel vac. :(

Tumey

Reefer With A Broken Brain ( TBI Survivor )
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water pressure in my house is *horrible* so I can't get enough suction for my gravel vac. :(
I have a python gravel vac. It’s purely siphon. The sand just needs to tumble inside the suction tube when you’re cleaning it

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about it. If someone flushes while I'm in the shower, the water slows to a literal trickle. I've had the pressure tested at the main and it's fine going into the house. Somewhere, some pipe is throwing a wrench in my operation.

Back