kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank inhabitants day!

Brittle star (tiger serpent) pretending he doesn't exist.
959AFA6E-A715-4B92-B00E-A9DED41274C6.jpeg

Demonstration of my lack of impulse control. Haha. I did get a couple of granola bars and that gorgeous bubble bath yuma out of the deal! <3
2845AC1C-BAF8-4469-BAC3-074798EE3DB2.jpeg

When this fella wakes up, he'll be a green and purple tipped hammer.
D7C50EAB-8F2D-41E6-AE96-BDBB36A09A30.jpeg

And miracle of miracles — fish that swim around and are encouraging my dottyback to do the same. Now if only we could get my practically non-existent YWG to leave his cave.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICYMI: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/40b-spontaneously-sprung-a-leak-need-advice.861693/

Kittenbritches' 40B 2.0 comin' in hot...

Kittenbritches 40B 2.0.jpg

Once the sand settles I'll scape...again.

Test and probably change out some of the water...then get the fish and inverts in ASAP.

I've gotta re-plan where I'm putting corals since I'll likely tweak things again. I might leave some of them in the little tank while I draw it all out. And I've got a bunch more coming from @REEFTIDE this week, too. ;Facepalm

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ICYMI: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/40b-spontaneously-sprung-a-leak-need-advice.861693/

Test and probably change out some of the water...then get the fish and inverts in ASAP.

I've gotta re-plan where I'm putting corals since I'll likely tweak things again. I might leave some of them in the little tank while I draw it all out. And I've got a bunch more coming from @REEFTIDE this week, too. ;Facepalm
Did you wash the sand before adding it to the ?(replacement) 40b?

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you wash the sand before adding it to the ?(replacement) 40b?
I sure did. Many many many times until the water was clear. Then again in SW. It still kicked up and clouded like crazy as I rage-poured the water into the new tank, though.

I let it sit half-filled for a while, then lost the last of my patience. If this one leaks, too, I'm apparently the master of a quick tear-down.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure did. Many many many times until the water was clear. Then again in SW. It still kicked up and clouded like crazy as I rage-poured the water into the new tank, though.

I let it sit half-filled for a while, then lost the last of my patience. If this one leaks, too, I'm apparently the master of a quick tear-down.
Good job and Makes sense. In the future, the kitchen strainer works really well in a pinch to diffuse angry incoming water into the tank.

The ability to quickly tear down/full water change may come in handy some day! I hope it doesn't leak.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job and Makes sense. In the future, the kitchen strainer works really well in a pinch to diffuse angry incoming water into the tank.

The ability to quickly tear down/full water change may come in handy some day! I hope it doesn't leak.
Thanks for the tip!! I'll remember that for next time. I'm an aggressive pourer. LOL.

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Looking Tank and a great job with the aqua scape. I noticed that you had a sand sifting star, they can benefit from additional feedings as there may not be enough in the sand for it to eat. Especially with a newer tank and a smaller bio load. I used to supplement mine by adding a small amounts of mysis under the sand ever week or so. You have to be careful with this and make sure to not add too much. This was for my 100G tank.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Looking Tank and a great job with the aqua scape. I noticed that you had a sand sifting star, they can benefit from additional feedings as there may not be enough in the sand for it to eat. Especially with a newer tank and a smaller bio load. I used to supplement mine by adding a small amounts of mysis under the sand ever week or so. You have to be careful with this and make sure to not add too much. This was for my 100G tank.
Thank you! I typically feed fairly heavy to make sure the CUC doesn't starve.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh no! So sorry to hear about the leak. :(

I was very tempted to join in the @REEFTIDE sale today, but I really need to stop buying more coral. (They do have some amazing softies though... ;Woot)

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! So sorry to hear about the leak. :(

I was very tempted to join in the @REEFTIDE sale today, but I really need to stop buying more coral. (They do have some amazing softies though... ;Woot)
Thank you. It has been a stressful weekend -- hopefully everything gets settled tomorrow and I don't lose any more fish in the meanwhile. :(

I also REALLY need to stop buying coral. Will someone please hold me accountable? I need 12 steps and a sponsor at this point.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we sponsor each other? Or enable each other's bad decisions?! Haha.

Yay for another Utahn. We seem to be in short supply around here!

I am sure we would just enable.

I've actually seen several people on here from Utah.. who knew. I am no longer there :( , I now live in Maine but was born and raised in Park City, and I still go home several times a year to visit and go snowboarding.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure we would just enable.

I've actually seen several people on here from Utah.. who knew. I am no longer there :( , I now live in Maine but was born and raised in Park City, and I still go home several times a year to visit and go snowboarding.
I've never actually boarded in Park City. Brighton is a blast, and a little closer to home. I bet Maine is BEAUTIFUL this time of year!

My FedEx guy asked me last week if there was a fish club nearby, as he'd delivered twice to me and to a neighbor a block north and a block south of me in less than a week.

WHO ARE MY SECRET FISH NEIGHBORS?!

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never actually boarded in Park City. Brighton is a blast, and a little closer to home. I bet Maine is BEAUTIFUL this time of year!

My FedEx guy asked me last week if there was a fish club nearby, as he'd delivered twice to me and to a neighbor a block north and a block south of me in less than a week.

WHO ARE MY SECRET FISH NEIGHBORS?!
That would be cool if they were on R2R! Lol.

Any updates on the new tank?

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be cool if they were on R2R! Lol.

Any updates on the new tank?
It's back up and running. No leaks (yet), sand is settled, parameters all stable. My fish are still acting weird, though. Last night my female clown was in her back corner, but nearly resting on the sand — no shimmy. They're all also not eating as much. I hope they just need a few days to get over the stress of the weekend, but I'm secretly worried they're all going to die. :(

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's back up and running. No leaks (yet), sand is settled, parameters all stable. My fish are still acting weird, though. Last night my female clown was in her back corner, but nearly resting on the sand — no shimmy. They're all also not eating as much. I hope they just need a few days to get over the stress of the weekend, but I'm secretly worried they're all going to die. :(
Maybe try a smaller water change and reduce feeding for a few days?

It’s most likely just stress, but you can never be too careful.

captainbeardly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my fish when they wouldn’t eat I added brightwells max amino to the food and it definitely got their attention to eat

Back