Kivy Reef: A touchscreen interface for reef-pi - Announcements and Discussion thread

OP
OP
NXE

NXE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NXE awesome work!!!

I'm testing the Kivy Reef and my setup is show the analog pH reading instead of the real pH. Did I do anything wrong?

Thanks.!!
Hi Paulo, I have had a look at this and can't see what could be causing this behaviour. Kivy Reef gets the pH value directly from reef-pi via its API. What version of reef-pi are you running and what value is show in reef-pi itself?

OP
OP
NXE

NXE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Paulo, I have had a look at this and can't see what could be causing this behaviour. Kivy Reef gets the pH value directly from reef-pi via its API. What version of reef-pi are you running and what value is show in reef-pi itself?
Actually, I think I have now identified the issue. It turns out that the reef-pi API call I was using returns the uncalibrated value (the difference was small for my probe, so I never noticed this). I have pushed a fix to the Kivy Reef Github repository. @Paulo Hanashiro you can update the code by running 'git pull' in the directory where you cloned Kivy Reef.

Paulo Hanashiro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I think I have now identified the issue. It turns out that the reef-pi API call I was using returns the uncalibrated value (the difference was small for my probe, so I never noticed this). I have pushed a fix to the Kivy Reef Github repository. @Paulo Hanashiro you can update the code by running 'git pull' in the directory where you cloned Kivy Reef.
Thanks.

I'll test it later today!!

robinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've installed Kivy_reef and it works very well, thanks for implementing this. I do have one anomaly though, the temp display is always 1 less than the actual temp shown in reef-pi e.g. if reef-pi shows the temp as 25.4 degrees the displayed value in Kivy is 24.4 degrees. Likewise in Fahrenheit 78.4 becomes 77.4.

Any ideas?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've installed Kivy_reef and it works very well, thanks for implementing this. I do have one anomaly though, the temp display is always 1 less than the actual temp shown in reef-pi e.g. if reef-pi shows the temp as 25.4 degrees the displayed value in Kivy is 24.4 degrees. Likewise in Fahrenheit 78.4 becomes 77.4.

Any ideas?
do you have calibration configured?

robinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're correct Ranjib, having looked into it Kivy is displaying the uncalibrated reading rather than the calibrated one. Looking though the code I notice that for PH Kivy takes the last historical reading rather than the current reading which I presume is to avoid the same issue. Changing the temp widget to get the last reading doesn't work atm as the URL for PH historical is "/readings" whereas it appears that for Temp it's "/usage" and the URLs are hardcoded into api.py.

I have a further play and code a few new functions to see if it works.

robinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, it isn't "/usage". Unfortunately as I don't have a working dev environment it's not possible for me to examine the json and debug further, guess I'll leave it to people who know what they're doing :D

OP
OP
NXE

NXE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, it isn't "/usage". Unfortunately as I don't have a working dev environment it's not possible for me to examine the json and debug further, guess I'll leave it to people who know what they're doing :D
Hi @robinm, Happy New Year! I have just pushed a fix for this issue to GitHub. As you suspected, the api call I was using (/read) seems to return the uncalibrated temperature value so I have switched to calling '/current_reading'. Hopefully this fixes the issue for you (do a 'git pull' in the directory where you cloned kivy-reef to update the code).

robinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'll give it a go. I did try modifying to '/current_reading' but was getting an error and without the ability to debug gave up. It was probably something I was doing wrong. Kudos for Kivy_reef though I really like what you've produced.

friskaburger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,
I got everything setup and kivy reef is displaying, but all the pages are blank. When I click into sensors or anything, there's no data in them. I'll try to post a photo later after work if that sounds confusing, but would anyone know of what might I be missing? I'm running 4.1 on a Rasp4, and my reef-pi is working correctly and displaying data on the web, just none of it is getting to the attached display on Kivy Reef. Thanks!

OP
OP
NXE

NXE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,
I got everything setup and kivy reef is displaying, but all the pages are blank. When I click into sensors or anything, there's no data in them. I'll try to post a photo later after work if that sounds confusing, but would anyone know of what might I be missing? I'm running 4.1 on a Rasp4, and my reef-pi is working correctly and displaying data on the web, just none of it is getting to the attached display on Kivy Reef. Thanks!
Have you edited the reefpi.ini configuration file (created in the folder where you downloaded KivyReef) with your reef-pi server IP address, username and password? If KivyReef is running on the same machine as reef-pi, the server address should be:
Code:
http://127.0.0.1

friskaburger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you edited the reefpi.ini configuration file (created in the folder where you downloaded KivyReef) with your reef-pi server IP address, username and password? If KivyReef is running on the same machine as reef-pi, the server address should be:
Code:
http://127.0.0.1
Oh man I knew it'd be something simple. Sorry! That was it thanks! Now I'm getting a weird thing where kivy reef closes when I try to turn on/off the equipment. I'll try to figure out what's going on there.

OP
OP
NXE

NXE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man I knew it'd be something simple. Sorry! That was it thanks! Now I'm getting a weird thing where kivy reef closes when I try to turn on/off the equipment. I'll try to figure out what's going on there.
That sounds like it could be a bug in KivyReef. Could you post the terminal output when it closes?

OP
OP
NXE

NXE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to forgive me, I'm a total noob. How would I go about getting the terminal output?
No problem at all. If you are launching KivyReef from the command line in a terminal window, you should just be able to copy the output when it crashes.

Or are you running KivyReef by double-clicking main.py? If so, try launching it from a terminal window (use cd to navigate to the directory where you downloaded KivyReef and run 'python3 main.py')

friskaburger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem at all. If you are launching KivyReef from the command line in a terminal window, you should just be able to copy the output when it crashes.

Or are you running KivyReef by double-clicking main.py? If so, try launching it from a terminal window (use cd to navigate to the directory where you downloaded KivyReef and run 'python3 main.py')
Ok so weird story, I went ahead and retried it now and t hings are working. Another thing was that the other day I was having trouble being able to see the options to change color and range for the graphs in reef-pi and that is now working again too, so my guess is that there was an issue with reef-pi not with kivy.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back