OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What LFS has Skys in use that I can check out??

Tank looks really awesome btw!

The new Reefis look really frickin nice, just too blue heavy for my liking. +1 to seeing and liking Reefbreeders.
One I visit in Sioux Falls, so probably not real feasible for you. But they’re running them on one of their displays. Look very nice.
I really think if I swap lighting I’d go with Reefbreeders. Dropping the money on Skys is just tough to swallow.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man, what did you end up doing about the lights?
So, in the end I went with the Reefbreeders Photon V2 48”. So far so good. I would maybe like to add a couple of their Lumenbars at some point as well. Someone locally is selling one UV/Blue fixture but it’s only a 36”. So that might look kind of silly on a 48” fixture.
Otherwise, things are going pretty good. I’ve battled extremely high nitrates for a long while now. Thus, I am in the process of removing the majority of my sand. I’m hoping that helps. I can’t seem to keep nutrients in check with a sand bed. I need to keep some thought for my Pencil wrasse to sleep in.
I’d like to add some yellow tangs but don’t think I could sustain more than one in this tank long term. So, I’m debating an eventual upgrade. I thought I wanted to go back to a sump, but I really do like the ease of the AIO so maybe move up to the SR-120. I do like the 6’ length of those without being a massive tank volume wise.

I’ll find some pics to post…

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5249EAE5-6CDC-4D8B-AA98-485A831C0E79.jpeg
C0056669-0C9C-4BE1-9E91-7DC47D276141.jpeg
264A6318-AC81-4528-84BA-A7D538BE0C99.jpeg
CCF23DC6-03D3-4855-8F60-E26D5B2E79C5.jpeg
73C1920F-C98C-481B-BBDE-5777ECAD32D1.jpeg
AC33146A-0B47-4426-B57B-3487974ED6F1.jpeg
8E86CA1C-8D8E-4EF5-9C32-0DF7B10896DC.jpeg

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, in the end I went with the Reefbreeders Photon V2 48”. So far so good. I would maybe like to add a couple of their Lumenbars at some point as well. Someone locally is selling one UV/Blue fixture but it’s only a 36”. So that might look kind of silly on a 48” fixture.
Otherwise, things are going pretty good. I’ve battled extremely high nitrates for a long while now. Thus, I am in the process of removing the majority of my sand. I’m hoping that helps. I can’t seem to keep nutrients in check with a sand bed. I need to keep some thought for my Pencil wrasse to sleep in.
I’d like to add some yellow tangs but don’t think I could sustain more than one in this tank long term. So, I’m debating an eventual upgrade. I thought I wanted to go back to a sump, but I really do like the ease of the AIO so maybe move up to the SR-120. I do like the 6’ length of those without being a massive tank volume wise.

I’ll find some pics to post…
I’m glad you found a light that works well, I’ve always heard good things about the Photons.

Weird about your nitrates and sand. I’m sandless myself right now but you couldn’t tell at a glance because the tank is so full very little of the bottom is visible. I do usually like to have sand though.

SR-120 is a great size. The only thing I don’t like about it is the relatively narrow width of the filtration section, you can’t get a big enough skimmer. I’m getting a larger AIO tank myself soon that has 8” wide back chambers. They are huge compared to anything else available right now. The skimmer chamber is nearly 13” x 8”. I’m getting a 48” wide tank but it also comes in 60” and 72” lengths. It is acrylic though so if you want glass the SR-120 is the biggest one I’m aware of.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad you found a light that works well, I’ve always heard good things about the Photons.

Weird about your nitrates and sand. I’m sandless myself right now but you couldn’t tell at a glance because the tank is so full very little of the bottom is visible. I do usually like to have sand though.

SR-120 is a great size. The only thing I don’t like about it is the relatively narrow width of the filtration section, you can’t get a big enough skimmer. I’m getting a larger AIO tank myself soon that has 8” wide back chambers. They are huge compared to anything else available right now. The skimmer chamber is nearly 13” x 8”. I’m getting a 48” wide tank but it also comes in 60” and 72” lengths. It is acrylic though so if you want glass the SR-120 is the biggest one I’m aware of.
Well, right now I run the Icecap K3 250 HOB. It’s a beast of a skimmer and I could likely use it on the 120 as well.
Plus, other than another light or swapping out the 48” for two 36” lights and maybe another powerhead or two, I wouldn’t need much additional equipment.
If I get into a sumped tank again, I’m looking at a lot more new equipment and that doesn’t thrill me.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that one downside to the AIO is I tend to have chronically low pH. I think AIO style tanks compound that.
That flow of water to and from the sump seems to help keep pH boosted a bit.
That would be one reason I’d consider a move away from the AIO style.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add that one downside to the AIO is I tend to have chronically low pH. I think AIO style tanks compound that.
That flow of water to and from the sump seems to help keep pH boosted a bit.
That would be one reason I’d consider a move away from the AIO style.
That's interesting. My ph fluctuates more than I would like it to but it never drops below 8 and tops out around 8.5 per my ph probe, which addmittedly hasn't been calibrated in about a hundred years. It's always been stable between the two readings on a daily basis though. Wonder why yours is low, have you ever measured co2 in the room? Does it get better if you crack a window?

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting. My ph fluctuates more than I would like it to but it never drops below 8 and tops out around 8.5 per my ph probe, which addmittedly hasn't been calibrated in about a hundred years. It's always been stable between the two readings on a daily basis though. Wonder why yours is low, have you ever measured co2 in the room? Does it get better if you crack a window?
Oh I have no doubt it’s mostly caused by room co2 levels. But, I think it’s compounded by the lack of water movement/oxygenating by traveling to a dedicated sump and back. Just my theory. With a co2 scrubber I can keep it at 8 at night and 8.2 or so during the day. But performance starts to drop after a week and after 2 weeks or so I change media.

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re tank is looking bloody GREAT! Looks like you’ve caught a case of collectoritus though!

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re tank is looking bloody GREAT! Looks like you’ve caught a case of collectoritus though!
Thanks!

re: collectoritus…I have a bit of a jumble of corals carried through from tank to tank and new acquisitions. I’m also plagued by laziness and indecision when it comes to placing/mounting corals. Thus, they end up just sitting around. I’m aiming to clean that up and clear some things out come spring expo time.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look great!
Thanks! I feel like I lucked out. These guys have been chilling at my local lfs since September. Happily living and growing in one of their display tanks.
I’m keeping them in observation for a couple weeks just to ensure no issues pop up.

OP
OP
KJoFan

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eagle has landed.
6577CEB9-1EDA-4937-8009-DCD59A973E6F.jpeg
C490105E-E469-42D9-BA14-B84FDDC3B3E5.jpeg

I’ve only unpacked it enough to inspect for any damage and test fit the skimmer. Skimmer fits, but the lid doesn’t. Will have to think about that a bit more.
D62DA47C-116E-40EB-AC1A-A90DCF1B65A6.jpeg

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eagle has landed.
6577CEB9-1EDA-4937-8009-DCD59A973E6F.jpeg
C490105E-E469-42D9-BA14-B84FDDC3B3E5.jpeg

I’ve only unpacked it enough to inspect for any damage and test fit the skimmer. Skimmer fits, but the lid doesn’t. Will have to think about that a bit more.
D62DA47C-116E-40EB-AC1A-A90DCF1B65A6.jpeg
Exciting!

I would say if you love the skimmer, don’t worry about the lid for that chamber. That’s what I did for mine.

Or of course you could just cut a larger opening :)

Back