Klir DI-4 Fleece not rolling straight

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a trick to getting the fleece to roll straight? I've had mine since late Jan. After about 4 weeks the fleece has slowly rolled to the side and causes the motor to bind when it tries to advance. I removed the used portion and tried again but still after several weeks you can see it going sideways again.

It would be nice if they did some kind of mod to the roller to both help it roll straight and have some grip. Trying to get the fleece to roll tight around a smooth piece of plastic is almost impossible. First time I tried a piece of tape. Second time I took a razor blade and scratched the surface all the way around which did help a little.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been using mine for over 6 months. I recently modded it to work with my apex and eliminated the controller so i could customize the settings. I found that what happens is the fleese gets siezed to the rollers and the the motor only kicks on for short 1 sec intervals and its not enough to break the fleese free. What your seeing is the result of that. With my apex i have my motor kicking on for a minimum of 5 sec and its on a timer to be sure to spin atleast 4 times a day. This keeps my fleese moving freely and it works much better. Before i modded it i contemplated buying this:

that way i could lower the eye and allow the klir to turn more frequently... i have a feeling it will help alot.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using mine for over 6 months. I recently modded it to work with my apex and eliminated the controller so i could customize the settings. I found that what happens is the fleese gets siezed to the rollers and the the motor only kicks on for short 1 sec intervals and its not enough to break the fleese free. What your seeing is the result of that. With my apex i have my motor kicking on for a minimum of 5 sec and its on a timer to be sure to spin atleast 4 times a day. This keeps my fleese moving freely and it works much better. Before i modded it i contemplated buying this:

that way i could lower the eye and allow the klir to turn more frequently... i have a feeling it will help alot.
It's not a matter of rolling more frequently, when it rolls rather than rolling straight on the roller it slowly rolls to the side. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• PXL_20210321_163426226.jpg
    PXL_20210321_163426226.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 30

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's not a matter of rolling more frequently, when it rolls rather than rolling straight on the roller it slowly rolls to the side. Here's a pic.
In my opinion and experience its from the fleece sticking and stretching... when the motor runs more often and for longer times this does not happen.
Give this video a watch, especially where he goes theough the programming at the end. He basically confirms what im saying...

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jimbo662 can you check your guide rollers to make sure they’re rolling or not causing them to bind up someplace? If the fleece is starting to crab to one side I’m guessing it was either not mounted “square” to the pick up roller or something is “pushing” it to one side?

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When attaching the fleece to the pickup roller there's been no snagging or binding. I've watched it when the motor turns on and it seems to roll freely. I think it's just me not getting it on the pickup roller square.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When attaching the fleece to the pickup roller there's been no snagging or binding. I've watched it when the motor turns on and it seems to roll freely. I think it's just me not getting it on the pickup roller square.
Ugh. Thats one of my biggest fears. Sorry but I don’t have any tips to share.

OP
OP
Jimbo662

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for any more ideas? I had to redo the fleece about 3 weeks ago because it had bunched up on one side again. Now 3 weeks later it's getting to that point again! At this point having to take it out (because you can't work on it in the sump) every few weeks to redo the fleece on the roll it's just not worth it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back