Klir DI-7 install issues, suggestions to CoralVue and faulty Controller

Discussion in 'Reef Octopus' started by Jaculus, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Jaculus

Jaculus Active Member R2R Supporter

Because I have about 1000 gph pumping through my 125 gal basement sump to my 200 Gal DD tank upstairs I had to wait for the DI-7. It finally was released a couple weeks ago and I bought mine from BRS. I have contacted CloralVue on my apparent faulty controller. I am sure they will replace it. I am not worried about that.

After following the video install and the online installation steps correctly, I have realized a few flaws that will not deter me from keeping this BUT I do want to bring these up in a public way to discuss. I just want others input on this also as someone may have already pointed these things out or have solutions.

• First, the obvious, the controller is a toy. While I don't doubt the component board inside is up to par (even though mine is faulty) it just feels incredibly cheap. it feels like a happy meal toy.
    • Next, the path that the filter media goes through from the top to the bottom is incredibly flawed in my opinion. The path takes it over the first roller on the outside then to the 90deg roller at the junction of the top to the bottom part THEN it lays against the edge of the part that goes to the bottom creating a huge binding point. See pics attached. It needed another roller RIGHT a the edge so the media could roll easily not bound by that corner.
    • I am sure others have had this happen, but if the water flows over the edge due to the motor not working/controller not working/etc (like mine) the unused roll of media gets soaking wet, so wet I had to remove it and use the spare. Yes I can dry it out, but very annoying that it is so close to the highest water level that it can get that wet.
    It may be difficult to figure out my arrows and such on the attached pics but the first three show how the media was threaded and then the last one is with it in the sump. I did not include pic of the controller with the light flashing red. Apparently that means I have a faulty controller, wont even advance the media by holding the button.

InkedIMG_20190210_102514_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_20190210_102520_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_20190210_102904_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_20190210_110406_LI.jpg

Tags:

2. pecan2phat

pecan2phat Well-Known Member

With the smaller unit (KLIR DI-4) one person rounded out the edges that you mentioned by sanding it with a dremel.
    What was a little more interesting was another person bypassed threading the fleece under that 2nd roller thereby eliminating the 90 degree bind.
    One note is that your optical sensor is mounted horizontal, it should be vertical so that no water droplets throws the sensor off.

Jaculus likes this.
  3. Butuz

Butuz Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

That was me. LOL. I dremmeled the inside corners, works great now (they had to replace my controller for a faulty reason), but have been using it for 2 weeks, works great once you get the kinks out. I would strongly recommend dremmeling and then sanding all the frane oarts that touch the fleece roll, seemed to fix the issue for me (details in the build below).

4. Butuz

I used your pic and marked the must-dremmel sides in blue.

0B648548-089B-4BFF-852E-458BC61E2EE2.jpeg

5. Jaculus

thanks, Once the new replacement toy controller (lol) arrives I will have the corners dremeled by then. Seems CoralVue needs to just do this themselves,,, can't cost but another few cents to have the important corners rounded at the factory.

6. Jaculus

I am curious what tool on the dremel worked for you. With it being plastic I would think a sanding bit would melt the plastic

7. Butuz

Yes, I used the round/cylinder sanding attachments. Eats into this plastic pretty easily.

8. ElectricMusic

ElectricMusic Member

I am having the same problem with my controller on a brand new Di7. It’s blinking red and beeping. Can the power supply be spliced right to the motor? What I would do then is plug it into my Apex and use an Apex optical float switch to sense the water level and turn on and off the Di7 advancing fleece motor... getting rid of the “toy” controller all together.

9. Jaculus

That's a good question. Maybe even an adapter for the plugs so no soldering needed.

10. Jaculus

By the way my replacement controller arrived a few days ago and it does work now.

11. Jaculus

Got the edges all trimmed/sanded down and I routed the paper to NOT use that second roller that causes two drastic 90 deg turns, so the paper now flows MUCH more freely.

IMG_20190218_080304.jpg

IMG_20190218_080321.jpg

IMG_20190218_081919.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted