OP
OP
Jaculus

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sliding further and further into the "I hate this thing" category. Now I wondered why I found extra detritus in the first chamber. I tried advancing the roll manually and the motor would not turn. No error in the controller either. So I took it out and rollers are covered in very thick gunk (basically like poo). The rollers have been catching and building up the stuff off the rollers. But worse yet there was a tear in the media and crunched up at the bottom.

I think I have been messing with this thing more time than I would have been spending with the old filter socks
b08a656cd78fcdf7ca89cfa71e217b83.jpg
6bf8b45cb4eb08a0291a1283ee7b4ae8.jpg
3f158bf871373c38c21eb12497049364.jpg
d12ea0a3f4fe39e8cbf68c3d212bf6ad.jpg

OP
OP
Jaculus

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A further update. Since the supply roll gets soaked and extremely heavy since it siphons water up it also increases the resistance on the paper path forcing the little motor to struggle more. Then when the take up (dirty) side gets to have about 1/3 of the roll used up it won't turn at all sending the controller into error status. If I cut the dirty paper off and re attach to the taken up roll again it's fine. I'm guessing since when the roll is bigger it has less torque to pull the paper than when it's a smaller roll.

Anyhow I've also had two events where the controller just goes nuts and rolls the entire roll because the sensor has something on it.

In general so far this thing has been more hassle than just using filter socks and changing every few days

joelk835

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried a support call to coralview. They sent me new bottoms with the news mods at no cost for my 4" units and they work much better as far as hanging up goes. Also sent me a new controller as I was having the same issue with a roll only being partly used and partly wasted. Been running the new stuff for the last 3 weeks and so far no issues whereas before I was having issues with every roll. I run two units is a master slave setup. I know its still early but the first signs have been good.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cardboard fleece roll holder is a big part of the problem in their design. It gets soaked as does the entire roll of unused fleece but the cardboard roll creates the most tension. The higher end roller mats have their fleece rolled on plastic tubes which is the right way to do it.

OP
OP
Jaculus

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cardboard fleece roll holder is a big part of the problem in their design. It gets soaked as does the entire roll of unused fleece but the cardboard roll creates the most tension. The higher end roller mats have their fleece rolled on plastic tubes which is the right way to do it.

That is a good point! I am wondering if I can find a plastic tube (preferably thin walled) that would basically be an insert for the fleece paper tube. Just sort of slide it in before sliding over the coral vue axle.

Have you tried a support call to coralview. They sent me new bottoms with the news mods at no cost for my 4" units and they work much better as far as hanging up goes. Also sent me a new controller as I was having the same issue with a roll only being partly used and partly wasted. Been running the new stuff for the last 3 weeks and so far no issues whereas before I was having issues with every roll. I run two units is a master slave setup. I know its still early but the first signs have been good.

I did not know that CoralVue realized the mistake of the harsh edges in the paper path and has a factory solution. I will call them to see if they have one for the DI-7.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would entail unwinding and rewinding the fleece roll which is ridiculous IMO. CV needs to stop pinching pennies over profit.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opps, I reread your post and now understand your theory in which a thin wall plastic would slide inside the paper tube, gotcha :)

OP
OP
Jaculus

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I bought this from Amazon to fit inside. Perfect fit for the old roll I had. See pics. But I noticed the new roll I have currently in use already is a plastic core. So I am guessing CV figured that out. But I gotta say this was a perfect fit and I'll keep it for those rolls I get that might not have a plastic core
88cc85c493fecf185f77cb4d3f54831d.jpg
e4ee3d1eafea6595438d1d8d22cc4063.jpg
9b2ab12388061adb3a082901f57ad003.jpg

killerbren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing some research I was a bit gun shy on going with the Klir. I ended up buying a Clarisea sk-5000 and the thing works great. Been going for about 2 weeks now and works great, no problems.

OP
OP
Jaculus

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making the exact same mods that you have recommended. It’s a shame that they sent this to market as it is! I probably would not have purchased (2) two of these had I known of these controller and binding issues. I also eliminated their controller and optical eye and am using the apex equipment.

You mentioned you eliminated the controller and using the apex. Can you share how YOU did it and if there have been any issues or lessons learned so far?

ElectricMusic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned you eliminated the controller and using the apex. Can you share how YOU did it and if there have been any issues or lessons learned so far?
First I tried using the apex optical float switch to determine when the fleece needed to be advanced. It didn’t work so well... I could not get the positioning right and I ended up going through a whole roll very quickly. So then I just put it on a timer to run 15 or 20 seconds once every 3 hours. (That would be different for everyone due to flow and bio load etc) That is working pretty well for me at the moment.

ScottW

Manchester United
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First I tried using the apex optical float switch to determine when the fleece needed to be advanced. It didn’t work so well... I could not get the positioning right and I ended up going through a whole roll very quickly. So then I just put it on a timer to run 15 or 20 seconds once every 3 hours. (That would be different for everyone due to flow and bio load etc) That is working pretty well for me at the moment.

any updates for us?

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 4" Klir it should be here this week but I didn't see this thread today until after I paid for the thing. @ElectricMusic could you share your Apex programming for this? I would add a line of code on the motor outlet with a defer command to allow either the float switch or optical eye (which ever you are using) to hold in the advance roll position for a few seconds before powering the motor to allow for ripples in the waters surface. And also a defer command "to make sure the water level goes down" again to allow for errors that can be caused by ripples. I would log the motor outlet to see how often the roll is advanced. And how long it takes before the roll is used up with output logging. Although I'm new to WHEN and IF ERROR commands I think you can stop the motor if so many minutes of rolling go by and get alerts to that effect. The Controller forum would be a good place to take this Apex endevour.

ElectricMusic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a 4" Klir it should be here this week but I didn't see this thread today until after I paid for the thing. @ElectricMusic could you share your Apex programming for this? I would add a line of code on the motor outlet with a defer command to allow either the float switch or optical eye (which ever you are using) to hold in the advance roll position for a few seconds before powering the motor to allow for ripples in the waters surface. And also a defer command "to make sure the water level goes down" again to allow for errors that can be caused by ripples. I would log the motor outlet to see how often the roll is advanced. And how long it takes before the roll is used up with output logging. Although I'm new to WHEN and IF ERROR commands I think you can stop the motor if so many minutes of rolling go by and get alerts to that effect. The Controller forum would be a good place to take this Apex endevour.
This is the Apex code I use. Every 2 hours it goes on for 12 seconds. The emergency is just a switch that I installed to shut all my equipment down:
CD6A030B-59E8-4D58-89DA-FB135D3E7EDB.png

ElectricMusic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ElectricMusic have you thought about connecting the original float switch to a Break Out Box?
No. I got tired of messing with it after trying the apex float switch and loosing (2) roles of floss. I am not using any float switch or optical switch. I wired the motor directly to a power supply and then plug it in to the outlet. So, the timer concept turned out to be the most reliable for me (no more wasted rolls).

Last edited:

FishEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this thread with a great deal of interest. I've had a Klir-7 since Nov '18 and similar problems with the sharp edges and the fleece getting stuck. CoralVue support has been great in sending me an rounded edge bottom unit. Also, they have upgraded the motor to a larger size and sent one out. No problems now with it hanging up and not advancing. Not sure what you all are talking about with the cardboard roller. The replacement fleece and original roll all had plastic tube's for the clean fleece and take-up roll.

My problem is that when the Klir advances, it changes the level in my sump so that it messes with my ATO (actually, ATK as I have an Apex). I get a step change in the sump level (about .75-1" change) which is enough for a hi level alarm or calling for top off when it really isn't needed. Was working with SuncrestReef (on R2R) to try a programming work around, but we could not find a reliable trigger for when the fleece advances (tried amps and watts). Thinking about it, if I can use the optical sensor in the Klir setup to also trigger a signal to the Apex, then SuncrestReef's programming will work. My question is can you take the sensor out on the Klir and basically solder a parallel plug so that it would go into both the Klir controller and an Apex module simultaneously? Basically a splitter for the plug. That would trigger a program in the Apex to say turn on the ATK and see if the level indicates a top-off. Open to ideas.

OP
OP
Jaculus

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading this thread with a great deal of interest. I've had a Klir-7 since Nov '18 and similar problems with the sharp edges and the fleece getting stuck. CoralVue support has been great in sending me an rounded edge bottom unit. Also, they have upgraded the motor to a larger size and sent one out. No problems now with it hanging up and not advancing. Not sure what you all are talking about with the cardboard roller. The replacement fleece and original roll all had plastic tube's for the clean fleece and take-up roll.

My problem is that when the Klir advances, it changes the level in my sump so that it messes with my ATO (actually, ATK as I have an Apex). I get a step change in the sump level (about .75-1" change) which is enough for a hi level alarm or calling for top off when it really isn't needed. Was working with SuncrestReef (on R2R) to try a programming work around, but we could not find a reliable trigger for when the fleece advances (tried amps and watts). Thinking about it, if I can use the optical sensor in the Klir setup to also trigger a signal to the Apex, then SuncrestReef's programming will work. My question is can you take the sensor out on the Klir and basically solder a parallel plug so that it would go into both the Klir controller and an Apex module simultaneously? Basically a splitter for the plug. That would trigger a program in the Apex to say turn on the ATK and see if the level indicates a top-off. Open to ideas.

The comments on the cardboard roller center of the filter rolls was corrected some time ago. Another thing they fixed, like the new version with smoothed or rolled edges and a bigger motor. it's just my opinion this product was not ready for production when it was sold. too many issues with it that caused and are still causing some of us with the older version grief. I have had a total of 5 times that I came home to nearly half of the roll wound up all clean since it had a speck or something on the sensor. THE CONTROLLER JUST NEEDS SOME SIMPLE CODE TO STOP and ERROR if the paper rolls more than a specified amount of time otherwise this will continue to waste my paper, my money and ultimately my patience with this thing.

AquamanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the Apex code I use. Every 2 hours it goes on for 12 seconds. The emergency is just a switch that I installed to shut all my equipment down:
CD6A030B-59E8-4D58-89DA-FB135D3E7EDB.png
@ElectricMusic - Interesting way to resolve the overall flaws of this device. Do you still use their optical sensor and controller? If not how do you bypass them.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back