Klir DI-7 on Red Sea Reefer Sump

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The DI-7 won't work as it's for a 7" filter sock. The DI-4 will work, but you'll need to modify the sock trays as they're smaller than the standard 4" size.

I'm thinking about getting the Clarisea 3000 or 5000 model for my 750 down the road, but I don't want to lose the ATO so I'm trying to figure out a creative way of accomplishing this without losing all my sump space.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No problem. I've read mixed reviews on the Klir rollers, which is why I'm leaning towards the Clarisea myself (even though it means adjusting the plumbing to accommodate it).
Ya I've had one sitting in its box in my garage for about a year now. It was meant for my previous build. I think I'll run filter socks for now and put this one up for sale. I also don't like the mixed reviews.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I've had one sitting in its box in my garage for about a year now. It was meant for my previous build. I think I'll run filter socks for now and put this one up for sale. I also don't like the mixed reviews.
I found that the best setup on my 750 is to run 4 filter socks (I like the 100-micron) and run any carbon/GFO separately with a reactor. I get 3-4 days before having to change them out.

You can also run 2 of the 200-micron nylon in the front holders and 2 100-micron felt in the back holders. Another option is to just run 4 media baskets crammed with filter floss and just chuck that out every few days.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I found that the best setup on my 750 is to run 4 filter socks (I like the 100-micron) and run any carbon/GFO separately with a reactor. I get 3-4 days before having to change them out.

You can also run 2 of the 200-micron nylon in the front holders and 2 100-micron felt in the back holders. Another option is to just run 4 media baskets crammed with filter floss and just chuck that out every few days.
Noted. I'll have to pickup some extra filter socks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted. I'll have to pickup some extra filter socks.
I've got 24 right now, and when I'm down to the last ones I use 4 of the 200-micron nylon while I scrub, clean and machine wash all of them in one batch.

I've got a good system worked out using Oxyclean, so let me know if you'd like me to share it.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got 24 right now, and when I'm down to the last ones I use 4 of the 200-micron nylon while I scrub, clean and machine wash all of them in one batch.

I've got a good system worked out using Oxyclean, so let me know if you'd like me to share it.
O by all means please do share!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O by all means please do share!
First and foremost, you'll see a lot of videos (etc.) where these guys throw all the used socks in a container for weeks on end. That always leads to a nice stench and a nice collection of mold...

I have a square 4-gallon pail, and with every dirty batch of filter socks I do the following:
* Quick/cursory rinse, invert and hand scrub the felt (I just use my hands to rub the felt back and forth). This is just to get the worst of the gunk out.
* Take the filter socks and throw them in the pail with hot water and a half a scoop of oxyclean. Let soak for 48 hours, rinse and let dry. When dry, throw in a separate pail to await machine washing.

Then, when you have enough socks for a load, I run them on the following settings:
* Sanitary, heavy soil with one scoop of oxyclean.
* When done, revert the filter socks to normal and put on a second wash: Sanitary, regular, extra rinse, one scoop of oxyclean and a capful of Seachem Prime to get rid of any chlorine.

When done immediately remove to air dry for 24 hours, then into one of those flexible mesh nylon laundry bins. Note that these won't come out bright white like bleaching does, but they will be very clean and effective nonetheless.

You can use bleach (and some do), but as we also have vinegar around a lot for cleaning other stuff we wanted to avoid scenarios where bleach and vinegar can come into contact creating poisonous gas. And my wife uses oxyclean for all our other laundry so it keeps things simple (and the wife happy).

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend cutting out the sock area and installing a Bubble Magus ARF-L, clarisea 5000 may work but depends on your flow rate, may clog too fast :)

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. I've read mixed reviews on the Klir rollers, which is why I'm leaning towards the Clarisea myself (even though it means adjusting the plumbing to accommodate it).
I've been doing some research for my new build and most of the reviews that were bad looks like it came from older model which had weaker motors they have since upgraded motors and offered free upgrades to older klir. There is a post in here somewhere that is mostly positive but as with any product some negatives.

Blackjack1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one you have in your garage is it a 4" or 7"? I'm looking for a 7" The floss is a pain in the butt to change but the devil you know is better than the one you don't. I also have spare rolls from my other tank.

OP
OP
Manny’s Reef

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The one you have in your garage is it a 4" or 7"? I'm looking for a 7" The floss is a pain in the butt to change but the devil you know is better than the one you don't. I also have spare rolls from my other tank.
It’s the 7” and it’s up for grabs

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back